Horizontal Ascent tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which part are you having trouble with?

If I'm starting off horizontal anyway, I simply use breath control to start a gentle ascent. I mind my gauges as I ascend, and let the autodump in my drysuit do its thing. This means being prepared to make my left shoulder (where the autodump is) the highest point when necessary, to facilitate autodumping.

If diving wet, I keep the lower dump cord in my hand, ready to dump air as needed. I am also prepared to roll counterclockwise to insure that the lower dump of my Halcyon wing is higher than the rest of the wing, again to facilitate dumping as necessary.

I always keep an eye on my ascent rate and begin slowing well before the level at which I wish to stop.

The only difference from ascending vertically is using the lower dump vs. the deflator hose. I never really thought about the process...I just started doing it one day.

Originally posted by metridium
Which part are you having trouble with?

Well, I only tried it once, and when I started to loose control I dumped my BC and aborted the ascent.

I'm just wondering if there is any suggestions on a safer way of practicing rather than the obvious of 'just do it'.

[Oh... and yes, wet]

Be sure you do this close to a fixed line untill your comfortable with it. Once you are used to this it is very easy, and much more natural feeling than vertical accents.

I started using breath control a while ago and feel real comfortable with it now. To ascend I take a deep breath and exhale on ascent to slow down or stop and take breaths that will keep me at a desired depth. I only have to make slight BC adjustments when I hit about 15 feet when my wetsuit appears to expand alot and I have to dump air.

I keep an eye on my computer, the bubbles, and if I can, also an anchor or ascent line.

~Marlinspike

I assume you are concerned about ascending too fast. Having a visual reference can help you judge ascent speed. The reference could be a line. With practice your depth gauge should be enough. begin with slow ascents. The idea is to learn control. Later progress to timed ascents. Don't bounce back and forth between the surface and the bottom. You can practice horizantal ascents when rising up and over obstructions during a dive with depth changes of only a few feet and of course at the end of the dive. A pool or pool like depths would also be a good place.

Something I find helpful is to evealuate my skills anytime I am in the water. I practice vertical ascents every time I ascend. I try to catch myself in every sloppy moment. One of the perks to being an instructor is I am in the pool two days a week and I do between 4 and 8 dives every weekend. There is no substitute for time in the water.

Last night in the pool a DM crept up and turned off my air (Both valves on a H-valve) while my wife approached from the other side and tore my mask off. Later at the surface a student asked how that could not bother me. My response was that it did and that I was concerned that it would momentarily upset my trim and someone might see. Practice is the key.

Originally posted by MikeFerrara
You can practice horizantal ascents when rising up and over obstructions during a dive with depth changes of only a few feet and of course at the end of the dive.

I'm thinking it might be mental... I don't have any problem with ascents up and over things, but perhaps it's because I'm not trying to go up and then level off... I'm just going up and then back down.... Maybe that's the key to starting... ascend over something, but level myself out there instead of coming back down...

As far as reference points... when I tried, and where I plan on practicing, is 20-25 fsw, 20-30 ft vis where I can use the bottom as a reference point... Well, at least until we get a chance to find our lost anchor and can use that as a vertical reference line... :bonk:

Are best practiced VERY near a fixed line with no current.

Once "mastered" it is a good idea to stay close to, or
hold onto, the line so that if you encounter a current you
are not swept away from your "upline" and find yourself
drifting.

If you DO find yourself blown-off and drifting you'd better
deploy a lift bag (you DO carry a bag?) and you also be
practicing that skill before your life depends on it.

As with a lot of this stuff, nothing can be accomplished well without having good trim/buoyancy in the beginning. You can do all the kicks, ascents, drills, etc. but if the initial skill is not there, you are starting in the wrong directioin out of the gate.

Ascents also should be mind numbingly slow, so it is really just keeping trim and slowly rising here and there rather than a traditional "hey it's time to ascend everyone!"

Tommy

ascents. Are these ascents done all the way to the surface or do you go vertical at some point to look for any objects above you?

Back
Top Bottom