Horse beating continues: Diver in Cozumel REFUSES to remove gloves and knife.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just in case you missed it :eyebrow:....I can ask for it to be typed slower if it will help with comprehension.

Well, then maybe I need to type these things slower for you as well!

A. SNAGGED is different than ENTANGLED (look those two words up, you're a big boy so I'm not going to do it for you)
B. As I said in my post which you must have missed is that if it were to happen - then he was TOO CLOSE TO THE REEF TO BEGIN WITH!

You know I have never been entangled by the line that I see. For some strange reason it was always the line I didn't see. I believe there is a much bigger problem than knives. If they really wanted to protect it looks like they would make it illegal to have the coral, even if it was found broke on the bottom. I am a cave diver, we are very protective over our environments and can understand your stance on protecting the coral. But the argument is like gun control. People is the problem, not the gun or knife. They will prosecute divers in some systems that are found to be defacing it. And we are more than happy to turn you in.

I provide it on my boats - so there are no excuses :D

To Steve, Letterboy and others who think a knife is NEEDED here and/or that the law is stupid:
Yes people, there are MANY things that damage the reef systems - including crappy divers, boat fuel, explosives, photographers taking liberties with the reef, other marine animals, acts of nature, etc. - BUT the POINT here is that EVERY small thing we can do to prevent INTENTIONAL damage of the reefs helps!

So bring up all of your arguments of over weighted divers plummeting to the bottom of the reef - but you won't convince me that prohibiting knives in the park is a stupid law. Like a few others here, I HAVE seen them used in ways by "jack tards" that have made this law a necessity here - and NO ONE is in danger diving without a knife here - regardless of what lines you've read between.

Entanglement IS NOT an issue here. The ONLY time I could see that happening (and even then a very remote chance) is if a diver was diving too close to the reef to begin with. Yes, people have seen fishing line during a dive on occasion - but not to the point of being entangles in it - and no one has posted that they have been entangled here - that's you reading more into something than is there to try justifying your argument.

I'm done :D

Speeding is illegal too, I guess you never do that either?

The difference I suppose is that most people speed but do not expel much energy arguing that the speed limits are stupid. This discussion has people arguing that the knife rule makes no sense.

Speeding is illegal too, I guess you never do that either?

Yes, and if you get caught - you get fined or worse!

SAME THING HERE - only it will affect LIVLIHOODS! So the point is that for tourist divers to come down here and feel entitled to disobey the laws and/or berate/disrespect a DM who is doing his JOB is selfish and arrogant! Shops can lose permits which would mean the entire staff being unemployed and/or the DM can lose his Marine Park license and never be able to work in a National Park in Mexico again if he doesn't do his JOB!

How do you put an entire thread on IGNORE???

OK I get it then. I can carry my knife to get myself out of SNAGS but not out of ENTANGLEMENTS. Got It :thumb:. Sorry but Give me a break. Was he too close to the reef? Sorry but I do not recall my training OR ANY COZ pre dive discussions stipulating that a diver must stay at least X feet from the reef. What is the longest length of fishing line attached to the reef that a diver may get entangled in? That must then be the minimum safe distance. Sorry but if you get caught in 35' of fishing line (I just picked a length), how is it that you were too close to the reef?

Try again. NEXT!

Well, then maybe I need to type these things slower for you as well!

A. SNAGGED is different than ENTANGLED (look those two words up, you're a big boy so I'm not going to do it for you)
B. As I said in my post which you must have missed is that if it were to happen - then he was TOO CLOSE TO THE REEF TO BEGIN WITH!

I am not a Cozumel person, I just like to dive there. I only posted here to try and point out a couple of things. The law was part of a progression of laws designed to address a real problem. It remains to be seen wether or not it will work, my guess is that it will not. Their are no limitations on the creativity of fools.

The facts that remain are:

• It is a federal law
  • Dive operators must enforce the laws to the best of their ability or they may find themselves out of business
  • Harassing dive operators about it is a waste of time, if people do not like the laws of a country they visit, they should stay home. If they live there, than they should work to change the law.
  • There are legal alternatives to carrying a knife in Cozumel. Sure they may make the law pointless, but they are still legal. Just because there are exceptions to a law that seem to make it almost pointless, does not mean you get to ignore it.
  • I do not now own, nor will I ever (likely) own any kind of underwater noise maker. if they made them illegal in Cozumel, I would still not own one. I do own a knife which can be used for this purpose (but not in Cozumel) and my hands.
  • I enjoy going to Cozumel, it is close and relatively inexpensive. I have yet to be shot at on the island or abducted by gang members. Contrary to other posters, the visible police presence in Cozumel certainly seems to be significantly less than other parts of the country.
  • I really enjoy using bullets some times. It makes posting fun.
  • They should just train the big fish to bite the heads off of people who break coral off the reef. (Perhaps just a hand or foot for an accident)
  • I do not work for the Mexican government.
  • I do not work for a Cozumel dive operator.
  • I am affiliated with a dive shop that does book trips to Cozumel but have never been on a trip I did not pay full price for.
  • My Spanish is not very good, but Tequila always makes it better
  • Thank you for participating in this entertaining, but nearly pointless thread.
  • Is this the second post in the thread where someone said woooooossssshhhh?

Personal for me???

ego??

all I can say is wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooosh

Sorry...my dog doesn't bark that way.

I guess everyone should just say nothing and comply with a stupid rule. Instead of pointing out that its stupid. What I would do (or wouldn't do) in Coz is actually irrelevant to the conservation. So I think you missed the boat when you say it is personal for me. Its actually personal to you.

and its funny how the the Coz people thank each other and circle the wagons in these threads. I guess its personal to them.

How do you put an entire thread on IGNORE???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom