Horse beating continues: Diver in Cozumel REFUSES to remove gloves and knife.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey gang,

At the risk of beating this horse even further, I witnessed something in Cozumel last week that was really kind of baffling.

Diver on my boat was asked twice to remove his gloves and knife because they aren't allowed in the park.

Charles,
On my last trip to Coz the rules I saw posted in a diveshop stated:

1) If you use gloves, do not grab the corals.
2) If you carry a knife, keep it in the sheath.

It's OK to wear gloves you just can't touch the reef, its OK to carry a knife you just can't remove it from the sheath......have the rules changed?

I don't wear gloves when I dive in Coz but I do carry a knife, its essential safety gear if I became tangled in fishing line it would prove useful.

Given how strong the current is in Coz do you think your DM could swim against the current and help you if you became entangled? If not you need to be prepaired to self rescue.

David K

Given how strong the current is in Coz do you think your DM could swim against the current and help you if you became entangled? If not you need to be prepaired to self rescue.

David K

What happens if you get hit by a meteor and a DM has to swim against the current to get to you?

I think the same number of deaths have occurred in Coz due to entanglement or meteor strikes.

Of you may have heard of this invention called "shears" the kids have these days. They get you around marine park rules about knives but still let you plan for something that has killed zero people in the marine park.

I'm looking for someting useful like a link to the a Mexican governmet website with the actul rues posted.

David

Marine Park Regulations and Cozumel Dive Guide and Log Book

It IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED:

* To stand on, or take hold of the coral reefs
* To fish for, to collect, to disturb or to keep any marine life organism found in the Park (fishes, corals, shells, starfish, etc.)
* To carry spears, hooks, harpoons or explosives
* To carry gloves or knives (Dive Masters and Instructors may register these items for use with the Marine Park).
* To disturb or to remove fauna and flora from their refuge.
* To feed any fish or animals in the Marine Park
* To dispose of any kind of solid waste in the ocean.
* To dump fuel, grease, oil, or any other liquid substances into the ocean
* To use sun block or suntan oils which are not biodegradable.

Dive guides are authorized to enforce these rules. Your courtesy in carefully following these rules ensures that our precious reefs, living organisms in their own right, will enjoy long and healthy lives. For your support and help, the people of Cozumel thank you.

deepstops

There is conflicting info regarding this these rules at:

Under Pressure Divers - Cozumel Dive Sites

That why I'm curious if the rules have changed.

My guess would be that because UnderPressure is a US based operation, the posted their verwion of the rules based on heresay or a "not quite 100% correct" interperetation of the true rules. I really only say this because those who are most likely to know have not said this rule has changed or not.

I know there are local "laws" but a knife is "mandatory"basic scubagear by most if not all agencies.
And for the gloves,I wear them on allmost all dives,after 80-90 min. of diving my hands get numb.without them.Thermal protection should be used when needed.
I know some (lots) ill trained divers use them to grab the reef.But thats no reason to prohibbit them

No it's not. And it is illegal in many places to carry a knife, the Red Sea for example.

In warm waters such as Coz, you cannot use the," I get cold" crap.

And it has nothing to do with training. I have seen very well trained divers abuse the reef with gloves. They are not ill trained, they are ill mannered.

Charles,
On my last trip to Coz the rules I saw posted in a diveshop stated:

1) If you use gloves, do not grab the corals.
2) If you carry a knife, keep it in the sheath.

It's OK to wear gloves you just can't touch the reef, its OK to carry a knife you just can't remove it from the sheath......have the rules changed?

I don't wear gloves when I dive in Coz but I do carry a knife, its essential safety gear if I became tangled in fishing line it would prove useful.

David K

EMT shears work better than any knife. They just don't have the testosterone amp a knife does. A knife is definitely not "essential."

Not for Flounder hunting, a knife is better :D Sorry, I couldnt resist.

EMT shears work better than any knife. They just don't have the testosterone amp a knife does. A knife is definitely not "essential."

deepstops

There is conflicting info regarding this these rules at:

Under Pressure Divers - Cozumel Dive Sites

That why I'm curious if the rules have changed.

That information is from a web site published in 2005 and apparently not updated. The glove and knife rules have changed since then. I believe that this change has already been discussed back 10 pages or so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom