Hose routing- what's the DIR answer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaveV

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
First let me say that I am not a DIR diver, but I do think the DIR methodology is far superior in many ways to other training regimes. Maybe someday I'll do fundies, but for now I am just working on building some of those basic skills. I have been diving a BP/W for about 2 years now and do have a question regarding what the DIR answer is for power inflators hose routing with a single tank. I've searched the board and still can't seem to find a definitive answer.

So... Question is how does DIR route the power inflator hose assembly- i.e both the LP hose and the corrugated hose. I see some folks run 2 inner tube pieces that hold the LP hose to the corrugated hose and then run both hoses through a bungee loop on the d-ring. I've also seen/read 20 other variants... What is the correct way? Does anything retain the assembly to the shoulder strap other than the d-ring bungee?

Also, when the LP hose comes out of the first stage, do you route it behind the corrugated hose or in front of it(closer to your back). If it goes behind it, it then has to route under the corrugated to get to the right side (closest to the center of your body) of the corrugated hose, so I assume in front is the way to go.

Pictures are worth a thousand words!

Thanks
Dave

don't confuse DIR with GUE, while they used the term for many years, UTD is currently the only training agency I'm aware of that uses it. Also, this is my understanding, however I do not have a GUE or UTD certification

If you are choosing to use their equipment configuration, this will be your friend
Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers

two innertube loops with the inflator hose inside along the corrugated hose. This then gets plugged into the inflator, and the whole inflator is held under a thin piece of bungee that is tied in the same gap as the D-ring. This facilitates oral inflation but when using power inflation keeps the inflator from dangling.

The hose routing depends on your specific inflator.
true_jjboat0246.jpg

jj_italy-beach259.jpg

Here the hose crosses over the top to get from one side to the other. This is most likely the scenario for single tanks due to the hose positioning. On doubles where the inflator comes from the right post it would obviously not cross over. If your inflator has the nipple on the outside, then it obviously wouldn't cross over, like on the Hog wings. Don't believe it matters

I've been trying to keep the crosstalk down between the GUE/UTD/DIR, but it's difficult when some people use them interchangeably. I do have this GUE equipment spec; it's been helpful. I am curious if DIR agrees with this GUE spec?

Can you clarify if the inner tube is just on the corrugated hose, or is also looped around the shoulder strap?

I am sure some put there's on their shoulder straps, however it makes removing the wing from the backplate very difficult. I am unsure of UTD's opinions.
Books | Global Underwater Explorers
I'd also recommend the books from here. Dress for Success would be the one directed at equipment, however the DIR Fundamentals of Better Diving book is spectacular. A bit dated on a few things, specifically the lights and computers, but technology has changed a bit since it was written, but the principals have not.

If this is something you are interested in, I would highly recommend going somewhere and taking the Fundies course. I know Bob Sherwood is in the near ish area, you'd have to go to PA, but it's not as bad as Florida, though Florida is warm. Meredith Tanguay is doing a lot of travel as well, and she's brilliant.

I am sure some put there's on their shoulder straps, however it makes removing the wing from the backplate very difficult. I am unsure of UTD's opinions.
Books | Global Underwater Explorers
I'd also recommend the books from here. Dress for Success would be the one directed at equipment, however the DIR Fundamentals of Better Diving book is spectacular. A bit dated on a few things, specifically the lights and computers, but technology has changed a bit since it was written, but the principals have not.
I'll definitely have to pick up that book. Thank you!

no problem. Hopefully @PfcAJ will pipe in here and correct anything I said. He is a fantastic resource if you are going down this route in your training

Can you clarify if the inner tube is just on the corrugated hose, or is also looped around the shoulder strap?

It's both. But it's not just innertube. It's actually 3 pieces, 2 pc of innertube securing the inflation hose to just the corrugated tube. Then a separate bungee that secures both, that is looped in the d-ring harness buckle to keep it all in the proper place for easy access.

This is from "Fundamentals of Better Diving book" book, which came with my GUE fundamentals training materials, which I'm currently reading in preparation for the class:

Power inflator hoses should run over the diver’s left shoulder and be
long enough to comfortably supply the power inflator, while not so long
that they bulge out to either side. In turn, the inflator itself should be
long enough that, with one hand controlling all manoeuvres, a diver is
able to easily reach his/her mouth, his/her dry suit inflation valve, and
his/her nose; it should also be long enough that, if necessary, one could
breathe out of it by simultaneously holding down both buttons.13 The
inflator from the wings runs over the shoulder and through a small bungie
attached with the left chest D-ring. This keeps the inflator where it
can be located instantly. Simply put, the hose should run smoothly from
the diver’s right regulator post, behind the neck and to the power inflator.

That does not specifically mention the 2 pc of innertube, but they are shown in the picture on the next page.

On the corrugated hose there are a few pieces of innertube. LP Inflator hose goes through that, then the entire kit and caboodle goes through a piece of bungee that's held in place by the same tri-glide as the d-ring.

There's no innertube on the shoulder strap except for the ones that hold your backup lights in place.

As for routing the LP inflator hose, do it in a way that doesn't interfere with the backup regulator. I dive mk25s on my backgas and I assemble the right post (long hose) regulator first, then put on the backup reg. This leaves the backup reg hose free. Some apeks configs might require a different method.

don't confuse DIR with GUE, while they used the term for many years, UTD is currently the only training agency I'm aware of that uses it. Also, this is my understanding, however I do not have a GUE or UTD certification.

Tbone, I always appreciate your point of view, but I think you missed it on this one. GUE is still one of, and more accurately,*the*, preeminent DIR agency. I was a scubaboard-noobie DIR-wannabe and stumbled into GUE, and have progressed through Tec1. I have yet to find anything of significance that isn't' core DIR philosophy. Isn't Jablonski's (GUE) book still considered the bible of DIR?

And as for UTD, they are an offshoot from GUE, and every UTD diver I've met and dove with was squared away. Love those guys.

Back to the original post. 2 inner tubes on the corregated, one large o-ring or, bungee at the D-ring.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom