Hose routing- what's the DIR answer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tbone, I always appreciate your point of view, but I think you missed it on this one. GUE is still one of, and more accurately,*the*, preeminent DIR agency. I was a scubaboard-noobie DIR-wannabe and stumbled into GUE, and have progressed through Tec1. I have yet to find anything of significance that isn't' core DIR philosophy. Isn't Jablonski's (GUE) book still considered the bible of DIR?

And as for UTD, they are an offshoot from GUE, and every UTD diver I've met and dove with was squared away. Love those guys.

From my understanding, GUE no longer uses the term DIR to describe what they do. AG took that with him when he went to UTD and bastardized it. Compounding that with no longer being able to control the term because it evolved when it went around the world, they have chosen not to use that term, despite being the ones to coin it.

Evolution of DIR Principles | Global Underwater Explorers
that explains a bit of it at the bottom.

Hopefully AJ can explain a bit if I missed anything.

Before my Fundies class I had the impression that every minute detail of the gear configuration is specified. In my Fundies class I was somewhat surprised at the degree of flexibility my instructor indicated was tolerated. The GUE gear configuration linked to above outlines GUE's standard gear configuration. Below that level of detail, you can pretty much do what works for you and still regard yourself as a GUE diver. Others have described what works well for most people.

I am curious if DIR agrees with this GUE spec?

Who speaks for "DIR"? There is no "DIR" organization. The major organizations that currently promote the system that was once referred to as "DIR" are GUE and UTD. There are also divers who adhere to the system but don't associate themselves with either GUE or UTD. GUE has their interpretation of the system (which I believe they now refer to simply as the GUE "system"), UTD has their interpretation of the system, and anyone else is free to have their interpretation. The core principles of the system are the same, but details are subject to interpretation.

Edit: By the way, even post-Fundies I'm not immune to the syndrome of expecting everything to be specified. Not too long ago I asked a question in the DIR forum about "what is the DIR way to handle a primary light with a goodman handle?"

Last edited:
On the corrugated hose there are a few pieces of innertube. LP Inflator hose goes through that, then the entire kit and caboodle goes through a piece of bungee that's held in place by the same tri-glide as the d-ring.

There's no innertube on the shoulder strap except for the ones that hold your backup lights in place.

As for routing the LP inflator hose, do it in a way that doesn't interfere with the backup regulator. I dive mk25s on my backgas and I assemble the right post (long hose) regulator first, then put on the backup reg. This leaves the backup reg hose free. Some apeks configs might require a different method.

Thanks PfcAJ! this is the concise answer I was looking for. Much appreciated

Th
From my understanding, GUE no longer uses the term DIR to describe what they do. AG took that with him when he went to UTD and bastardized it. Compounding that with no longer being able to control the term because it evolved when it went around the world, they have chosen not to use that term, despite being the ones to coin it.

Evolution of DIR Principles | Global Underwater Explorers
that explains a bit of it at the bottom.

Hopefully AJ can explain a bit if I missed anything.

This is a great letter and helps me reconcile some of the differences i've seen and/or read

Before my Fundies class I had the impression that every minute detail of the gear configuration is specified. In my Fundies class I was somewhat surprised at the degree of flexibility my instructor indicated was tolerated. The GUE gear configuration linked to above outlines GUE's standard gear configuration. Below that level of detail, you can pretty much do what works for you and still regard yourself as a GUE diver. Others have described what works well for most people.

Who speaks for "DIR"? There is no "DIR" organization. The major organizations that currently promote the system that was once referred to as "DIR" are GUE and UTD. There are also divers who adhere to the system but don't associate themselves with either GUE or UTD. GUE has their interpretation of the system (which I believe they now refer to simply as the GUE "system"), UTD has their interpretation of the system, and anyone else is free to have their interpretation. The core principles of the system are the same, but details are subject to interpretation.

Edit: By the way, even post-Fundies I'm not immune to the syndrome of expecting everything to be specified. Not too long ago I asked a question in the DIR forum about "what is the DIR way to handle a primary light with a goodman handle?"

The devil's in the details though, right?... I am amazed at how little detail is put into typical OW/AOW training. Very little seems to be given on the "how or why" of things, just the "what" is explained. This is what makes the DIR approach attractive to me. There is a big difference in just saying "pass your primary to your buddy" versus "hold your primary on the hose, while grasping the bolt snap in this specific way, hold the reg facing down while you gently sneak your head out of the loop and then extend your arm forward to pass the reg." I think these details make for a better diver as obviously someone thought long and hard about what is truly the BEST way to perform a skill/drill. I may to decide to stray from certain aspects of the details as I have the freedom to do that in the overwhelming majority of my dives, but knowing the "right" way is the best place to start.

Thanks again everyone

The devil's in the details though, right?... I am amazed at how little detail is put into typical OW/AOW training. Very little seems to be given on the "how or why" of things, just the "what" is explained. This is what makes the DIR approach attractive to me. There is a big difference in just saying "pass your primary to your buddy" versus "hold your primary on the hose, while grasping the bolt snap in this specific way, hold the reg facing down while you gently sneak your head out of the loop and then extend your arm forward to pass the reg."

You bet. Some things are taught in detail because whoever is doing the teaching believes they are important details. GUE does teach plenty of details. But even GUE might say "it's fine to do it that way" about things they don't believe have a significant impact on any of their goals, such as standardization. They really are not the gear-nazis some people have it in their heads they are.

From my experience, the GUE "standardization" becomes more important and less flexible the deeper and/or more technical the dive. I dive with quite a few GUE trained divers (including my son) and in relatively benign, shallower dives they have no issues whatsoever with my gear configuration (sidemount) but once the dive requires mixed gas, decompression, overhead etc., they are less tolerant of "alternative" configurations. This is not a criticism...gear standardization is critical to the "team" philosophy and I fully support it.

From my experience, the GUE "standardization" becomes more important and less flexible the deeper and/or more technical the dive. I dive with quite a few GUE trained divers (including my son) and in relatively benign, shallower dives they have no issues whatsoever with my gear configuration (sidemount) but once the dive requires mixed gas, decompression, overhead etc., they are less tolerant of "alternative" configurations. This is not a criticism...gear standardization is critical to the "team" philosophy and I fully support it.

I agree that the standardization is key to the team philosophy and is required for the types of diving you described. In my situation (<100 fsw OW) I have no problem taking what I like from the training methodologies I have some amount of exposure to, namely SSI (formal training), and then some DIR/UTD/GUE (informal, self-taught) and finding what works best for me and my buddy. At some level I am just trying to improve my weaknesses to become a better diver, by using ALL the available resources.

I am sure some put there's on their shoulder straps, however it makes removing the wing from the backplate very difficult. I am unsure of UTD's opinions.
Books | Global Underwater Explorers
I'd also recommend the books from here. Dress for Success would be the one directed at equipment, however the DIR Fundamentals of Better Diving book is spectacular. A bit dated on a few things, specifically the lights and computers, but technology has changed a bit since it was written, but the principals have not.

If this is something you are interested in, I would highly recommend going somewhere and taking the Fundies course. I know Bob Sherwood is in the near ish area, you'd have to go to PA, but it's not as bad as Florida, though Florida is warm. Meredith Tanguay is doing a lot of travel as well, and she's brilliant.

So should I get "Beginning with the End in Mind - Fundamentals of recreational diving" or should I get "Doing it Right, Fundamentals of Better Diving"?

I have not read the first, I own the second. Someone who has read that would have to comment. I would probably go with beginning with the end in mind at this point, but that's just me. Either way it will not be wasted money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom