Hoseless computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sealboy

Registered
Reaction score
I've always been interested in hoseless computers but I've never been quite convinced that they're safe. I'd like to ask people about your experience with hoseless computers and if you've had any incidents where you've lost connection to the transmitter and received no information on the status of your air.

I have had the same concerns as well. When I first bought my air intergrated console (UWATEC Smart Com) - I was concerned about the computer dying during a dive. But then, my mechanical SPG can get stuck during a dive and give false readings. I recently looked at a wireless AI wrist computer. Once again - I was concerned about lost connection. But after a lot of research on this board, it appears that most people are happy with their AI wrist computer. I just bought my wireless wrist computer. Although I have not had the chance to really do a dive in it - beside a few quick tests in the pool and assist in an OW class - I really like it. I didn't notice any lost signals (yet).

For recreational dive - I wouldn't be too concern about it. If I ever get into tech diving, I might consider adding an SPG or a console computer as a back up. For now, I am happy with my decision to get an Oceanic VT3.
Minh

If you do a search you will find lots and lots and lots of discussion on this subject. That said the overall consensus is

1. reliable for rec diving
2. interference from strobes
3. no need for a back up SPG - abort dive

Sealboy:
I've always been interested in hoseless computers but I've never been quite convinced that they're safe. I'd like to ask people about your experience with hoseless computers and if you've had any incidents where you've lost connection to the transmitter and received no information on the status of your air.

I use a Suunto Vytec hoseless computer which I consider completely safe for recreational diving. When new I did encounter a transmitter failure (the unit flooded) and the transmitter was promptly replaced by Suunto. This is no real problem for recreational diving, simply end your dive.

Yup, a quick search will fine multiple, fairly recent threads with lots of input.

My quick two cents: been using one since the mid 90s. Love them. Not had any problems at all. Use a strobe (or two) on virtually every dive as well as dive with other people who are firing a variety of strobes, sometimes quite close, never had a problem with that either. I keep hearing about it, but have never seen it personally. I don't use a secondary spg, many do so they can continue the dive if for any reason the unit stops telling you the air (it may keep working simply as a computer).

I dive with a Vytec w/ wireless transmitter. Other than having to pay attention when getting ready to dive to not wander away from the rig after its in synch with the transmitter (and thus having to be re-synched) I've had no problems whatsoever.

I >always< dive with an SPG, and use it as my primary tool for gas management. I primarily use the wireless transmitter function of the Vytec to provide a running estimate of remaining bottom time, so I can judge my running consumption rate and adjust my dive plan accordingly.

Sealboy:

I just went hoseless (VT-3) about 13 dives ago. I really like the freedom, but the link loss is starting to wear on me. Just last weekend I had one dive with 29 link losses. Oceanic is reviewing the dive profile to determine a problem. I was one of those "no SPG" guys, but serioulsy thinking about getting one now or just going back to AI.

I do not own one nor have I.

How can taking an electronic transmiter and reciever and underwater possibly enhance reliability?

Paying a premium to add failure points is not how I spend my $$.

Great deal for the makers and sellers, ups the average unit price by a nice chunk.

The reduction hoses for the sake of streamlining is a big stretch IMO.

My integrator is between my ears.

Pete

spectrum:
I do not own one nor have I.

How can taking an electronic transmiter and reciever and underwater possibly enhance reliability?

Paying a premium to add failure points is not how I spend my $$.

Great deal for the makers and sellers, ups the average unit price by a nice chunk.

The reduction hoses for the sake of streamlining is a big stretch IMO.

My integrator is between my ears.

Pete

Amen.

IMO if you want it then buy it. I don't think adding failure points is here or there, as long as you keep the SPG it's not going to matter one whit. The main use as far as I see it is keeping track of your starting and ending pressures, past that it's gravy that you should not count on.

My VT-3 has never lost link for me, ever. It's got around 20 dives on it I think and going good so far. I bought mine because it was a better computer than the one I had, it had features regarding Nitrox that my old one did not, and I got a great deal on it to boot. The wireless AI isn't something I wanted but since it's there I'll use it, but not exclusively. I still use my SPG and most likely I always will, same thing for my dive tables. That's my primary, the computer stuff is secondary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom