How cold is too cold for wetsuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pat Mustard

Registered
Reaction score
I know this is probably very subjective...

I'm planning on diving Wazee Lake tomorrow with a 7mm wet suit.
Was wondering what time of year do people stop diving in wet suits around here?

:dork2:

I've used wet suits in water that is as cold as water gets and while a dry suit can be more comfortable, especially for multiple dives in a day, a wet suit can serve just fine.

It really depends on how deep you want to dive.

My first 3 ice dives were in a we suit and I felt fine, even after 30 minutes. However, I dove in the middle of summer to 150 feet and froze after 7 minutes because the wet suit compressed to a 3 mil size.

Just depends on your dive profile.

1/2 mm wetsuits are great for warm tropical waters of 84F or higher.

3mm wetsuits are great for tropical waters from 75F to 82F.

5mm wetsuits are ok for cool temperate waters from 65F to 75F.

7mm wetsuits aka 1/4 inch are not very good for anything. If the water is any cooler than 65F and a 5mm won't work, then you really should be in a drysuit. You also have buoyancy issues with these self-collapsing behemoth suits.

And needless to say, 7mm farmer johns are an outrage.

Drysuits start around $500 for cheaper ones, like the economy model BARE suit. Front entry is nice. Suspenders are nice too.

I have a 7mil and dove it routinely in 45F water. you feel a slight tingle when you first hit the water, but after that I was fine on my 100' dives. Obviously a hood is a huge help.

At this time of year, if you have a good day, a 7mm would be fine for shallow dives. If the weather is cold and nasty, well guess what!

At Wazee, it's pretty brisk below the thermocline. I want to say the temp drops in the 40'-60' range, but it depends on the temps and the time of year.

As far as when to stop diving wet- I stopped diving wet when I bought a drysuit :D

You are right, it's subjective.
I'm never cold. But on our last dive at Catalina, one (small female) bundled up in several layers of woolies and a dry suit. She emerged shivering like a wet puppy.
Go figure.

One piece 7mm wetsuit with hood and gloves keeps me warm to 49-50 no problem.
Hot shower afterwards is also very nice!

Thanks for the replies and info.

I should have said, I've just gotten certified and am itching to get out into the water :) But I'm only planning on being about 30 feet down until I've spent some time learning skills. Which should keep me above the thermocline.

While I certainly like the idea of a dry suit, I first of all need to see how often I'm actually going to do this.

"Suspenders?" - hehe, I've no idea what you mean, I'm from the UK originally and back there suspenders are a kind of lingerie! Perhaps I can suggest them to my dive buddy :eyebrow:

Thanks OBXDIVEGUY, this christmas I'll be diving with the manatees in crystal river!

Cheers

"Suspenders?" - hehe, I've no idea what you mean, I'm from the UK originally and back there suspenders are a kind of lingerie! Perhaps I can suggest them to my dive buddy :eyebrow:

Cheers

Braces.

50F is the line many divers draw. I don't mind dipping below the thermocline into the 40s for a while but the dive wants to begin and end in the 50s or higher.

As mentioned it is highly subjective based on the diver and their gear.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom