How cold is too cold for wetsuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks OBXDIVEGUY, this christmas I'll be diving with the manatees in crystal river!

Cheers

If you find yourself in south Florida, let me know! I'm in the water a few times a week.

T
Thanks OBXDIVEGUY, this christmas I'll be diving with the manatees in crystal river!

Cheers

Manatees... All i saw were Gators, Monkeys and funky (forget the name) fish.

So far 48 F seems to be my limit wet. One of my college professors dove Antarctica wet back in 1957. I intend to use NetDoc's dry suit when I go there!

I've been basically only diving in New England. 90% of the people I dive with dive wet untill there is ice. Then about 25-30% will dive year round. I was diving this summer in the 40s with a 7 mil one piece, gloves, and hood with no problem. According to my buddy you have a warming system if you know what I mean lol.

Pat.

Like you, I'm a new diver too. I bought myself a 7mil suit prior to my checkout dives, as the checkouts were going to be in Haigh Quarry at the beginning of May. I subsequently took my 7mil up to Lake Superior were the temps were 42F at 70', and I can't say I was uncomfortable in the least ( a bit chilly, but not bad at all really). In my opinion the presence or absence of a hood makes all the difference.

For the rest of my dives (28 so far) I have always used my 7mil, simply because that's all I own at the moment. My buoyancy has noticeably improved with each successive dive. The amount of lead needed dropped off considerably about 15 dives ago(15lbs. is about what I need now for my suit, hood, gloves). Seeing as how I've only used a 7mil, I don't know to what extent it(7mil) has affected my buoyancy. I was a bit warm on some occasions in the shallower dives (e.g. France Park treasure hunt, Pennyroyal hunt). But I was fairly comfortable in 52F for a 70min dive.

One of the things that should be noted is the surface interval. Depth is not the issue. I've been in water that was warmer at 120' then at 40'. But as the seasons change, the air temp can get colder. If you come out of the water wet, you will probably be colder than if you come out dry. You don't usually see dry suit divers pour hot water down thier drysuits after a dive!

It is not subjective at all. The answer is 75ºF.

That is as subjective an answer as you can get!!!

It depends on the person, the wetsuit, how well the wetsuit fits, and the weather on the surface more than the water temp. I've dove 36* water in my 2 piece 7mm wetsuit, and then did the exact same dive in a dry suit. I had no appreciable comfort difference between the two.

What makes the biggest difference is if it is cold and windy on the surface. You don't want to be in a wet wetsuit in those conditions, and you also don't want to pull on an already wet suit. I have started my car, and run the heater full blast for a bit to get the car and the contents of it (ie, a wet wetsuit) and dressed in the car and been fine. But usually, in cold weather, I only do one dive in a wetsuit. That was my motivation for going dry this year, so I can do more than one dive on New Years Day!

Ken

What makes the biggest difference is if it is cold and windy on the surface. You don't want to be in a wet wetsuit in those conditions, and you also don't want to pull on an already wet suit. I have started my car, and run the heater full blast for a bit to get the car and the contents of it (ie, a wet wetsuit) and dressed in the car and been fine. But usually, in cold weather, I only do one dive in a wetsuit. That was my motivation for going dry this year, so I can do more than one dive on New Years Day!
Surface comfort will depend on the suit material. E.g., my Viking dries in a flash and is warm on the surface, so is my skin-2-side wetsuit. My DUI stays damp on the outside and is cold on the surface.

Cold water wetsuit diving is one of the reasons God created urine. You can always rinse yourself and your suit off later. Drink lots of fluids before your dive. Try it, you'll like it.

Back
Top Bottom