How cold is too cold for wetsuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving dry is not all about butterflies and unicorns. There are downsides, besides for the expense factor.

Other downsides to diving dry?
-Particularly when you are new (like me) buoyancy control is much harder.
-Can't pee in it (I'm female).
-You consume a *lot* more air than diving wet (well, at least I did).
-You have to wear more weight (I needed 8 more pounds of lead diving dry than in my 7mm).

I dove dry for the first time on Saturday with a bunch of people who dove wet. Surface water temp was about 60 and it was approximately 45 at 60 feet. Air temp was about 60 as well. The wet divers were fine in the water, but cold at the surface intervals. I was fine in the water, but hot at the surface when I was all zipped up and sealed in carrying my gear down to the water.

At the end of Saturday I was so frustrated with my buoyancy control in the drysuit, I was tempted to dive wet on Sunday to finish my AOW. I'm glad I was convinced to stick with it and I feel like I got the hang of the drysuit through the dives on Sunday.

Diving dry is not all about butterflies and unicorns. There are downsides, besides for the expense factor.

Other downsides to diving dry?
-Particularly when you are new (like me) buoyancy control is much harder.
-Can't pee in it (I'm female).
-You consume a *lot* more air than diving wet (we'll, at least I did).
-You have to wear more weight (I needed 8 more pounds of lead diving dry than in my 7mm).

I dove dry for the first time on Saturday with a bunch of people who dove wet. Surface water temp was about 60 and it was approximately 45 at 60 feet. Air temp was about 60 as well. The wet divers were fine in the water, but cold at the surface intervals. I was fine in the water, but hot at the surface when I was all zipped up and sealed in carrying my gear down to the water.

At the end of Saturday I was so frustrated with my buoyancy control in the drysuit, I was tempted to dive wet on Sunday to finish my AOW. I'm glad I was convinced to stick with it and I feel like I got the hang of the drysuit through the dives on Sunday.

You can pee in a drysuit, get some depends. Don't get too frustrated, usually after about 20 or so drysuit dives, you'll feel alot more comfortable. I do agree that dry diving has some drawbacks, mostly expense and not swimming as easily as a wetsuit to me... but there comes a water temp where the trade-off leans me towards the drysuit. That temperature is 75 degrees.

I know I've read in Divers Alert magazine that hot showers, and strenous exercise are considered contributors to DCS. So if you were diving deep or long please try to avoid hot tubs, showers and baths. Now totties......hmmmm don't remember anything
'bout them. :-}

I know I've read in Divers Alert magazine that hot showers, and strenous exercise are considered contributors to DCS. So if you were diving deep or long please try to avoid hot tubs, showers and baths.
Yup, I even avoid washing my hands, brushing my teeth, and doing laundry. :D

In case your not BSing, why would hot showers contribute to DCS???

In case your not BSing, why would hot showers contribute to DCS???
I'm not a doctor, but I think the theory is that hot anything would change the circulation within your body and *might* affect the way you offgas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom