How common is a wing failure, and how would you handle it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To the best of my knowledge only DSS offers Kydex plates. (Other may offer ABS plastic plates) DSS plates and wings are designed for wobble free direct mounting, no STA required.
Mine is diverite, so I guess it must be ABS. Thanks for the correction. I think I might look into your plate.

Even if you aren't balanced in this situation surely you aren't so negative that you couldn't fin up while trying to get your dsmb or bag out. That's my thoughts on it. I'm negative in my bp/w with no lead and my usual tank (lp108). But I'm not so negative that I can't swim up and stay at the surface for a time in it.. long enough to ditch the gear or inflate a bag or do some other thing. I've practiced swimming it up. Taxing, but doable.

I think I would agree with you generally. I was thinking full tank steel thick wet suit deep and the wing goes ending up with being -20 or so with no integrated weighting so that the belt toss is all or nothing. So many have no where near anything that would be balanced. But then again very few can deploy a smb or lift bag either.

I think I would agree with you generally. I was thinking full tank steel thick wet suit deep and the wing goes ending up with being -20 or so with no integrated weighting so that the belt toss is all or nothing. So many have no where near anything that would be balanced. But then again very few can deploy a smb or lift bag either.
What happened to "two is one, and one is none"?

It may be that I'm overtly cautious, but just as I won't dive in the dark without a backup light or in any kind of overhead without a redundant gas source, I won't dive a site without a hard bottom at safe depth unless I have redundant buoyancy (ditchable weight and/or - preferably "and" a second buoyancy source like a DS).

What happened to "two is one, and one is none"?

It may be that I'm overtly cautious, but just as I won't dive in the dark without a backup light or in any kind of overhead without a redundant gas source, I won't dive a site without a hard bottom at safe depth unless I have redundant buoyancy (ditchable weight and/or - preferably "and" a second buoyancy source like a DS).

You are correct however it doesn't always happen that way. You can go the the flower gardens where it is 70-90 ft and go over the wall and its a long way down. Currents do not always keep you above good bottom. The point is that shooting a buoy or a lift bag takes some time, often time you do not have.

Most boats I have been on do not allow DS's. One can always debate on how you got in a fix but that discussion has to be done topside cause till you get there it doesn't mater.

Most boats I have been on do not allow DS's. One can always debate on how you got in a fix but that discussion has to be done topside cause till you get there it doesn't mater.
Why do boats care about a dry suit?

You can go the the flower gardens where it is 70-90 ft and go over the wall and its a long way down. Currents do not always keep you above good bottom.
And in that case, I'd make sure to have a way to become positively buoyant in case of a wing/BCD failure.

Most boats I have been on do not allow DS's
What on Earth can be the justification for that??? Do they feel the need to regulate other aspects of their patrons' gear?

What's the chances of a dual bladder failure and SMB failure as well.

Went for a dive to 55m, did a bubble check at 5m all OK. Went down to 55m but felt heavy, changed to my backup bladder (dual bladder wing), same result. Managed to swim up to 30m, still felt heavy so during deco I turned upside down to check for leaks (on a whim). Found bubbles leaking from my butt area. Ok leaking bladder, fired off my SMB and was hanging on it at depth, suddenly I began increasing depth. Strange, seems as though my SMB is not fully inflated. On surfacing I found 2 holes in each wing bladder through both walls at the base (neat holes like nail holes), perhaps caused by impalement when loading the gear? Looked at my SMB and found it had a number of wall holes, perhaps from age. So even after the normal checks, things can go wrong. Even though it wasn't a total wing failure, it was food for thought.

In my case, I don't need any extra lead to become negative. The tank I dive (and bp/w) is enough, even at reserve pressure. So, if I wanted to become positive I'd have to ditch the rig (or swim). I'm not sure exactly how negative it is at reserve, but negative enough that I can sink to the bottom of an 6' deep swimming pool.

I'd have to switch to a lighter tank to need lead. I guess maybe switching to a soft "positive" bcd might do the trick. I've tried both aluminum and kydex backplates. Still negative with either of those. I do use an STA, so that contributes. Maybe I need to look into one of the plates that doesn't need an STA.

I have one of these for my negatively buoyant students, I wish I could use it but I have way too much bioprene ...

Golem Stream Backplate

And in that case, I'd make sure to have a way to become positively buoyant in case of a wing/BCD failure.

What on Earth can be the justification for that??? Do they feel the need to regulate other aspects of their patrons' gear?

Yes,,,,,, your level of caustion is not what most divers take. So many snowbirds\ newbies on these boats.

As DS goes they are not allowed if fear that the user will become inverted and have an uncontrolled surfacing and the boat be liable. Some boats will allow with a cert. Its a case by case thing. Its just like many will not allow doubles diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom