How deep have you gone on air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a recent video I shot of myself on a solo air dive to around 185 ft, Everything was cool until it got completely out of hand..thought I might die for a few seconds.

The jacks are all about 3 feet long, FYI.

YouTube - ‪Diver VS Bullshark‬‏

I try not to dive past 200.
DD, it looks like you kept the AJ in your bag with you , including your deco time...any reason why you would not have sent up the fish in a brownie bell bottom bag or something similar? Keeping the fish on you is almost begging to have encounters of this kind....

The other thing about the bull sharks.... My understanding is that a bunch of completely STUPID and SELF INDULGENT spearfisherman have been shooting the cobia off the backs of bullsharks on the Andy and at the Playground..and are "strumming" the bands on their guns to teach the sharks that divers in the water means FOOD. These complete morons are the same ones that wanted NO Shark Feeding by Abernethy about 10 years ago, and managed to scare the state enough with the PR to create Law on this....Now these complete AS**ole$ have actually created very well trained sharks, that even see non-spearfiasherman as probably meaning a good meal, and they are now becoming dangerous to anyone on at least thease two dive sites.

There is no reason spearfishing has to be bad for an area, other than when you have jerks purposely ruining it for everyone else. I would imagine you have met at least a few of these guys-- I would LOVE to get introduced so I could "talk" to them :)

Sorry, I forgot to add this was for my Final Dive for my Deep Diver Specialty Course..

Hi all,
I just did a dive today. Its not my deepest. Just my 2nd deepest. My 1st was 151ft. After which me and my dive buddy vowed if we ever went past rec limits again on air. That we would just use mixed gas. Today's dive was 137ft. But, this time I was with my Instructor who is a Master Scuba Diver trainer

I'm no expert but that sure sounds like a training standards violation to me. Care to name the instructor?

I'm no expert but that sure sounds like a training standards violation to me. Care to name the instructor?

Looks like the Scuba Police have finally arrived

DD, it looks like you kept the AJ in your bag with you , including your deco time...any reason why you would not have sent up the fish in a brownie bell bottom bag or something similar? Keeping the fish on you is almost begging to have encounters of this kind....

The other thing about the bull sharks.... My understanding is that a bunch of completely STUPID and SELF INDULGENT spearfisherman have been shooting the cobia off the backs of bullsharks on the Andy and at the Playground..and are "strumming" the bands on their guns to teach the sharks that divers in the water means FOOD. These complete morons are the same ones that wanted NO Shark Feeding by Abernethy about 10 years ago, and managed to scare the state enough with the PR to create Law on this....Now these complete AS**ole$ have actually created very well trained sharks, that even see non-spearfiasherman as probably meaning a good meal, and they are now becoming dangerous to anyone on at least thease two dive sites.

There is no reason spearfishing has to be bad for an area, other than when you have jerks purposely ruining it for everyone else. I would imagine you have met at least a few of these guys-- I would LOVE to get introduced so I could "talk" to them :)

I had no fish with me during that incident, I had sent an AJ up on a lift bag about 5 mim. before (which arrived on the sirface intact and was recovered). I saw no sharks during the dive itself.

I will ignore some of your typical over the top personal attacks and address a couple of questions you raised about spearfsihing in the local area. I am surprised that you are so out of touch with what has been common knowledge in the local community for some time.

The practice of shooting cobia out from under bullsharks (both freedivers and scuba divers) has been going on for a while and the popularity of the practice seems to have grown greatly. i think this is attributable to the fact that it is very effective and has been shown to be a safe practice after hundreds of cobia being landed in this manner.

The recent local attack on the diver who lost a portion of his calf from a bull when he was trying to subdue a cobia and send it up on a lift bag has caused some significant re-evaluation of this practice and if it can be continued without too great of a risk. They have buddy teams and try to work together and have a somewhat systematic approach to the activity that is designed to mitigate risks.

I have done this a few times myself, but I have always felt that it was more dangerous than I felt comfortable with. I have done it several times while freediving and rarely when on scuba.

In general the bulls are much. much less likely to try to eat a cobia that was schooling with them, compared to say a grouper that got speared. The bulls generally kinda freak when a fish is shot only a few feet from them, they must view cobia more as their buddies than as typical prey items.

As for these guys being responsible for political issues and shark feeding/diving , I have no knowledge. One of their good friends was maimed and nearly killed, so I doubt that a good talking to from Dan Volker will set them on the straight and narrow.

Hear is some video from 3 years ago which shows some of the action.

YouTube - ‪Sharks got us today‬‏

I will ignore some of your typical over the top personal attacks and address a couple of questions you raised about spearfsihing in the local area. I am surprised that you are so out of touch with what has been common knowledge in the local community for some time.
Actually I was not attacking you with anything on this post, I was discussing this with you as your being something of a "resource" on this topic.

The practice of shooting cobia out from under bullsharks (both freedivers and scuba divers) has been going on for a while and the popularity of the practice seems to have grown greatly. i think this is attributable to the fact that it is very effective and has been shown to be a safe practice after hundreds of cobia being landed in this manner.

And this is the area of discussion that really needs big attention right now. Nearly a decade ago when a tiny sliver of the spearfishing community began vigorously demanding legislation to END shark feeding by dive operators, this was driven by their contention that sharks would associate humans with food, given the interaction and frequency of it.
Now, a far worse form of interaction is occurring, with very high frequency on some dive sites ( fortunately not sites most tourists are ever going to see--but these are sites that advanced locals should be able to dive, and these spots are now becoming too dangerous to dive without some form of shark protection--a concept that should NEVER have been required in South Florida).

Instead of a diver showing up as "incidental" on a feeding event, as when big groupers and other fish show up on a shark feeding over a whale carcass, etc., we now have divers creating the dinner bell of the feeding event, constantly/many days per week, and the divers can be seen by the sharks to be directly related to the feeding event. Scientists used to say thAT SHARKS had no intelligence, and could not learn, but that has changed today--we now know that as very successful apex predators, these sharks lean alot from each encounter, and are very aware of body language of the divers--and all other fish around them. They read this the way we read a smile or fear, on a person's face.
The shooting of the Cobia off of the backs of the bullsharks is one of the stupidest practices that has ever been allowed in Florida.
  • It places divers in the direct association of a major feeding event, and does so with such extreme frequency that the learning by sharks can not fail to occur.
  • It shows sharks that humans are also a threatening force to deal with, much like a competitor in the fight for getting a good feeding in at the feeding event. When you see the posturing and territorial body positionings of the sharks, this is in direct contrast to how they USED TO BE, where they were not paying much attention to divers in the past, even with feeds like Abernethy had been doing weekly--where humans always were percieved as incidental, and not party to the actual feeding
  • As bullsharks are now looking "pissed" when they see divers on sites like the Andy or Playground at 118 feet, it is clear that spearfisherman practices of creating the feeding event and shooting all around the bulls, has them seeing us as enemies or rivals that need to be attacked

The worst part of this, is that this change in behavior by sharks, could move to other dive sites where it could result in a death of a tourist or non-spearfishing local---or, a death could occur because a non-spearfishing diver unknowingly visits one of these cobia shooting areas, and gets attacked as a rival.
The people doing this are morons, and they should not be allowed to endanger others with this practice. We spearfished for many decades without ever doing anything bad to shark behavior like this--and there is no need for it.

35-40m (120-130ft) has been plenty deep enough for me, I dive to see the fishies- I don't need to go where the sun don't shine.

Actually I was not attacking you with anything on this post, I was discussing this with you as your being something of a "resource" on this topic.

And this is the area of discussion that really needs big attention right now. Nearly a decade ago when a tiny sliver of the spearfishing community began vigorously demanding legislation to END shark feeding by dive operators, this was driven by their contention that sharks would associate humans with food, given the interaction and frequency of it.
Now, a far worse form of interaction is occurring, with very high frequency on some dive sites ( fortunately not sites most tourists are ever going to see--but these are sites that advanced locals should be able to dive, and these spots are now becoming too dangerous to dive without some form of shark protection--a concept that should NEVER have been required in South Florida).

Instead of a diver showing up as "incidental" on a feeding event, as when big groupers and other fish show up on a shark feeding over a whale carcass, etc., we now have divers creating the dinner bell of the feeding event, constantly/many days per week, and the divers can be seen by the sharks to be directly related to the feeding event. Scientists used to say thAT SHARKS had no intelligence, and could not learn, but that has changed today--we now know that as very successful apex predators, these sharks lean alot from each encounter, and are very aware of body language of the divers--and all other fish around them. They read this the way we read a smile or fear, on a person's face.
The shooting of the Cobia off of the backs of the bullsharks is one of the stupidest practices that has ever been allowed in Florida.
  • It places divers in the direct association of a major feeding event, and does so with such extreme frequency that the learning by sharks can not fail to occur.
  • It shows sharks that humans are also a threatening force to deal with, much like a competitor in the fight for getting a good feeding in at the feeding event. When you see the posturing and territorial body positionings of the sharks, this is in direct contrast to how they USED TO BE, where they were not paying much attention to divers in the past, even with feeds like Abernethy had been doing weekly--where humans always were percieved as incidental, and not party to the actual feeding
  • As bullsharks are now looking "pissed" when they see divers on sites like the Andy or Playground at 118 feet, it is clear that spearfisherman practices of creating the feeding event and shooting all around the bulls, has them seeing us as enemies or rivals that need to be attacked

The worst part of this, is that this change in behavior by sharks, could move to other dive sites where it could result in a death of a tourist or non-spearfishing local---or, a death could occur because a non-spearfishing diver unknowingly visits one of these cobia shooting areas, and gets attacked as a rival.
The people doing this are morons, and they should not be allowed to endanger others with this practice. We spearfished for many decades without ever doing anything bad to shark behavior like this--and there is no need for it.

You seem to be under the impression that the sharks are being fed by the people shooting cobia. That is NOT the intent; the desire is to land the fish not allow a shark to eat it.

Shooting cobia off bullsharks may make them "angry" I don't really know, but there is no desire to teach the bulls that divers mean food. Sharks are also know to be attracted to hook and line fishing activities as well.

I think there are more bullshark around than 15 yrs ago. I used to just place grouper in a bag and carry with me, now in the winter you need to send them up on floats in many locations.

I do not agree that bullsharks are being trained to attack divers, but the quick little incident I had in the video was not really in my control.

You seem to be under the impression that the sharks are being fed by the people shooting cobia. That is NOT the intent; the desire is to land the fish not allow a shark to eat it.
I understand "most" of these guys do not "want to " feed the sharks....but by shooting cobia or amberjacks immediately in the vicinity of 20 or 30 excited bullsharks, is going to have a high probability of a shark coming in fast and getting a fish--this has happened more and more, and it has apparently already "TAUGHT" the bullsharks that they can be fed by rushing in to divers.
Shooting cobia off bullsharks may make them "angry" I don't really know, but there is no desire to teach the bulls that divers mean food. Sharks are also know to be attracted to hook and line fishing activities as well.
I don't think there has been any thought whatsoever into the ramifications of shooting the cobia off the bullsharks.

I understand "most" of these guys do not "want to " feed the sharks....but by shooting cobia or amberjacks immediately in the vicinity of 20 or 30 excited bullsharks, is going to have a high probability of a shark coming in fast and getting a fish--this has happened more and more, and it has apparently already "TAUGHT" the bullsharks that they can be fed by rushing in to divers.

I don't think there has been any thought whatsoever into the ramifications of shooting the cobia off the bullsharks.

I don't think you are getting the picture here. Maybe if you watched more diving spearfishing videos, you would understand since you don't have experience in this regard.

As I said before, i have limited expereince with the actiivity (especailly scuba shooting), but there is absolutely no comparison with the way a group of bullsharks will act when a cobia is shot out from under them compared to shooting an Amberjack in their presence. The AJ will almost certainly be devoured in seconds if allowed to run, while the cobia is almost always left alone.... not always, but from my perspective, there is something very different about the cobia/bullshark relationship.

Groupers, AJ's, and cudas get chomped, while cobias are left alone.

I don't think you are getting the picture here. Maybe if you watched more diving spearfishing videos, you would understand since you don't have experience in this regard.

..snip...

Groupers, AJ's, and cudas get chomped, while cobias are left alone.

I have spearfished for more than 30 years..how long have you?
Through the 80's and nineties I did most of it diving with Frank Hammett. Do you think Frank would not understand this either ?

If you shoot in the middle of a big group of bull sharks on a regular basis, you need to know that there is a good chance you will be responsible for changing "shark to human" interaction.....these guys should be considered criminals when diver's begin getting bitten.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom