How did the Jewfish get it's name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SueMermaid:
Geez, in such a PC world, does this mean that from here on in, I must address my cows as "Bovine Americans"?

you my dear are PC challenged. You should adress your cows by their first names only:

"oooarrr thar now, move along miss daisy"

Gee, I've got a 500# black sea bass (formerly called jewfish too) named after me (Dr. Bill) and I was honored! I agree that Jewfish should not be considered derogatory unless its use is meant in a derogatory way, which it doesn't seem to be. There is just too much PS-ness these days for my taste. If something is intended to be derogatory, then I agree with the need to modify it. Otherwise, give me a break.

Dr. Bill

Not to revive a dead thread, but I just found this thread, and I agree it's ridiculous!

Although....

Laurence Stein DDS:
First, let me tell you all the real way the Jewfish got its name. FROM HIS JEWISH MOTHER!!! :11: His father had absolutely nothing to say in the matter!

The fish was born and a week or so later out came the razor blade...swish!...and...well the rest is history. Then the fish went to school to become a doctor. Unfortunately, the name surgeon fish was taken so rather than go back to school to become a lawyer and thus being named a shark, he just settled for Jewfish. See...it's easy.
Regards,

Larry Stein
Polish, Prussian, Anglo, Caucasian, born in the USA, American

PS: OK, one more thing. Do you know why male Jewfish die before female Jewfish?.......
BECAUSE THEY WANT TO!

So, does anyone know a mohel that dives?

Actually, you know what it takes to perform a bris for a Jewfish?
Four Skin Divers...

Ok - Ok - quit throwing things at me!

It was a Jewfish before I got here, it was a Jewfish growing up, and it'll be a Jewfish till I die.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the first fish name in the U.S. to be changed due to political correctness, the "squawfish". This predates the jewfish by a few years. I think squawfish are now called pikeminnows or something, but all the ichthyologists I know still revert to the old standby... they do it for jewfish too.

Here, I pulled up a very cogent article detailing why these names were changed. After reading it, I'm not so irritated.

http://features.qa.boats.com/boat-c...becomes-official-jewfish-now-goliath-grouper/

Last edited by a moderator:
Not only am I a Jewfish, the most magnificent of the bony fishes, I take great offense at the dumbass PC crowd renaming me after an enemy.
E. itajara :wink:

Epinephelus:
Not only am I a Jewfish, the most magnificent of the bony fishes, I take great offense at the dumbass PC crowd renaming me after an enemy.
E. itajara :wink:

Oh well, here we go again into the depths of anti-PC discussion regarding a particular group of people. But I suppose most readers won't understand the above reference.

Amazing, isn't it?

Moderators, take note.

MSilvia:
I didn't know the etymology of the name until now, but I never understood how it was derogatory. Could you explain why it struck you as such?
I have believed since I first became aware of this PC silliness that people who have found names to be offensive were those who have themselves used such words as pejoratives and are sharing their penance with the rest of us, so they don't have to suffer for their sins alone.
And the occassional really really thin skinned individual who can find other thin skinned individuals who... have way to much time on their hands.
Who really should take up diving, or do something that might really make them feel good.

Tom

elbers_e:
Wow, I didn't realize when I asked my question that I would gather so many interesting replies! This is a great discussion, I hope it is ok with the moderators that we are a bit far afield from the topic of marine life :wink:

I am also not a fan of "Political Correctness" because I feel it causes us to focus on finding a list of words that we can prohibit instead of helping us to foster understanding between different groups of people. I think it is useful to stop using derogatory phrases obviously but it doesn't help us get any closer to the people who have some difference from us and as you said so perfectly, faced with trying NOT to say the wrong thing you end up feeling awkward and "treading carefully".

I wonder, do you ever feel comfortable enough with your friends who are people of color to talk about this awkwardness with them and have the chance to hear what their perceptions are? This is the kind of thing that I have found more useful torwards having closer friendships and gives me the chance to broaden my perspective about the world.
Divide and conquer.
Conspiracy Theory?
Why is such an inane passtime allowed to flourish?
Inclusiveness or exclusiveness?
Acceptance or rejection?
How can we accept each other if we're afraid to open up and say what we think or feel, how can we learn to be honest if we must police our every utterance?

Tom

SueMermaid:
Geez, in such a PC world, does this mean that from here on in, I must address my cows as "Bovine Americans"?
Better not, one of us morbidly obese people might be nearby and think you were attempting a slur at our lardly beingness.
Oooo such troubles you'd have!

Tom

intersting thread, I would like to make a longer post, but I am late for my African-American tie dinner.

Back
Top Bottom