How do I improve my air consumption?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Focus on exhaling fully
Slow your pace down
Go for larger capacity tanks

Hi Surge,
When I first read your question, I thought of several replies, suggestions,comments, etc.
But, almost all of them have been mentioned by the previous responders. So I'm just saying "what they said", in agreement.
Good luck,
Mike

On a previous dive trip I was using about 10% more air than anyone else, so I worked on my breathing and relaxing as suggested, it dropped to 5% above. I switched regs, combined with the breathing and relaxing , it dropped to about 90% of the average. Suddenly I was using less than the DM.

Out of curiousity a couple of questions (please remember I am a newby so feel free to ignore).

How much air to you use in your BC/wing - how often do you adjust it during a dive?

How fit are you out of the water ?

Is the equipment you are using yours and well maintained ?

Do you feel relaxed in the water ?

Just me being curious

Conor

Surge:

I will not reiterate all the good responses you have already received, however, your size is not the factor. I am 6 ft and 210 lbs and I am a squirrel with my air compared to many divers I know and been around on dives.

Experience, relaxation and bouancy are the keys. Plus, of course, your physical conditioning. If you are a 200 plus Pillsbury Doughboy, this is clearly a contributing factor. Do you work out?

I highly recommend that you maintain a continual conditioning program. Aerobics is a must -- in a gym or jog or bike regularly.

Do you smoke? No diver should smoke in my opinion, yet many do!

Good, easy breathing equipment is also a factor.

Everything is interrelated -- relaxation and comfort under water, bouancy, conditioning, etc. Good luck.

The very LAST thing you want to do is think about your breathing. Your breathing rate and pattern should be a result of your comfort and exertion levels, not controlled artificially. Practicing "breathing techniques" will teach you all sorts of bad breathing habits. It does have its place with advanced divers, but learn to walk before you try running.

Fitness: You should be fit. Goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway.

Don't "puppydog." You know when you bring a puppy for a walk s/he covers about 10 times the distance you walk, zipping around exploring everything? Slow down and smell the anemones.

Get correctly trimmed. This could be an entire note unto itself. In fact it is. In fact there's probably hundreds in this file. See http://www.scubaboard.com/t4911/s.html for a good start.

Dive a lot. This is just to increase your comfort level. But remember, practice doesn't make perfect, PERFECT practice makes perfect.

Roak

Speaking as the Regional Director of the
AFAHAHB [American Federation of Air Hogs
And Heavy Breathers] I can tell you that your
need for air is directly related to the need of
your brain for O2. Yes, you really are smarter
than people that "sip air." When those sparks
start jumping around in your head it takes
copious amounts of O2 to keep them going!

Breath deep, breath often.....:wink:

As per my handle, I was major air hog when starting out. Here's what changed from starting out that has changed and vastly improved my consumption.

1. Don't use so much weight, went from 28 lbs to 20 lbs; result, less air into BC, more into me.
2. Bouyancy control improved by practicing. Also diving deeper helped due to early dives being 22' to 12' causing big changes in bouyancy. When staying below 20' less abrupt changes happen.
3. Getting regs serviced resulted in replacement of screens and improved airflow, didn't have to work as hard to get a breath.

Stick with it, none of the changes happened overnight, gradual process.

Dave

I made six dives in January while on a cruise in the Caribbean. I was trying out some new fins that took a while to learn how to fin best, also I have just been getting back into diving and for the first four dives I was a total AIR HOG. Before the dives in St. Thomas (dive 5 and 6) I was ready to toss the fins to the fishies and try something else, but insted, I got into the water FIRST. Hung on the line with my snorkle in and checked out the wrecks on the bottom about 40' below. By the time the DM and other diver was ready to go, I was really 'groovin' on the view and was totally relaxed. My air consumption dropped WAY OFF, as my stess factor was way down. The other diver and I had both about the same level of experience and we came up from the dive with about the same amount of air as the DM (granted, he was using a 72 and we had 80's) but once I relaxed the fin problem resolved itself too!

Just my small view of the issue...

Like others have said, try to breath slow and deep. You may be working too hard while diving.

Have you checked to make sure you are not overweighted? Also streamlining your gear helps quite a bit.

Try doing a dive where you sit in one spot, like say a 20ft by 20ft square area, just looking at all the great small stuff you never see. Then see how much air you use compared to a dive of the same duration, same depth, while exploring a greater area.

Being relaxed is one of the biggest factors. :thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom