How do we get to Sorong?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love this site! Yep my problem was searching for Sorong not Jakarta. Little rock to Jakarta is only around 1k plus or minus $150 as I bounce around dates (we want to go in late 2018 and that to far to book). Now we have to find a boat that isn't full. Many we look at are already booked up! I hate to commit to a cheap hostel type room but so many of the boats we like are "no availability". Oh and should we plan to.spend the night in Jakarta or sorong? Read we need to arrive a day early just in case. I want this to be a trip for the record books but darn it's a lot of work!

I'm surprised that a lot of your boats are already booked for late 2018. I was able to book with 8 months in advance no problem but I was not picky about boat - I was more concerned about budget (but still wanted a private room and bathroom to share with my buddy).

We want a nice room, our own bathroom, great food , ac...well this is our 30th anniversary and I want to make it special without breaking the bank

I love this site! Yep my problem was searching for Sorong not Jakarta. Little rock to Jakarta is only around 1k plus or minus $150 as I bounce around dates (we want to go in late 2018 and that to far to book). Now we have to find a boat that isn't full. Many we look at are already booked up! I hate to commit to a cheap hostel type room but so many of the boats we like are "no availability". Oh and should we plan to.spend the night in Jakarta or sorong? Read we need to arrive a day early just in case. I want this to be a trip for the record books but darn it's a lot of work!

Diving Indonesia in December - Liveaboard.com

A quick check on the above link, there are plenty of availability in LOB at various level from budget to luxury for December 2018. Which LOB are you interested in?

Usually you will arrive in Jakarta in the morning & the domestic flight to Sorong is at midnight & arriving in Sorong around 6am on the next day. So, you could rest for few hours in Jakarta or sightseeing if you are able to sleep during the long International flight.

Last edited:
I do Indonesian quite a bit and find arriving in Sorong a day early and departing a day after the boat makes things a bit more relaxing as flights in and out of Sorong are notorious for being it late, if you have the days save yourself the hassle of cutting things close and book a day in a hotel on either side of the liveaboard.

I wouldn't think of flying to Indonesia, or anyplace that far, and not staying at least a night (or more) before the boat. Aside from possible flight delays or luggage issues, it's good to rest and catch up with the time zone some before getting on the boat.

Oh and should we plan to.spend the night in Jakarta or sorong? Read we need to arrive a day early just in case. I want this to be a trip for the record books but darn it's a lot of work!

Like everyone else, would definitely suggest arriving at least a day earlier in Sorong. Coming from such a long distance and with the pressure to make it a good trip, you really don't want to take the risk of a delayed flight ruining everything. Indonesian airlines aren't famous for their punctuality either :). If possible, I would overnight in Sorong instead of Jakarta as there's always the risk that you get delayed on the Jakarta->Sorong flight.

All that said, don't expect a lot of fun in Sorong. Not many good hotels nor much to see. Just catch up on sleep and do some relaxing by the hotel pool or something. It won't be much fun but the days to come after that will definitely make up for it!

Like everyone else, would definitely suggest arriving at least a day earlier in Sorong. Coming from such a long distance and with the pressure to make it a good trip, you really don't want to take the risk of a delayed flight ruining everything. Indonesian airlines aren't famous for their punctuality either :). If possible, I would overnight in Sorong instead of Jakarta as there's always the risk that you get delayed on the Jakarta->Sorong flight.

All that said, don't expect a lot of fun in Sorong. Not many good hotels nor much to see. Just catch up on sleep and do some relaxing by the hotel pool or something. It won't be much fun but the days to come after that will definitely make up for it!

ha ha you bet! On a recent LOB trip, I got a cabin to myself because a couple didn't make it to the departure point on time. it wasn't clear whether that was due to flight delays or immigration problems. But I was happy!

- Bill

Back
Top Bottom