How do you other boatowners deal with the delicate subject of money and divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"boat" = a hole in the water into which you pour money

Exactly. I bought a boat when I was stationed in Hawaii and this is exactly what my uncle told me. I ended up flipping it before I got out and luckily broke even.

Everyone keeps talking about maintenance costs, parking fees, etc, but aren't these the costs of just owning a recreational boat period? I have no problems splitting gas, prepping the boat, and cleaning the boat afterwards, but I don't calculate my insurance, tires, oil, brakes, car payment, etc when I give someone a ride in my truck. These are costs of just owning the boat, sorry those are the boat owners, but I am more than willing to pitch in for the immediate costs of the day, ie fuel, drinks, food.

When I go diving and invite others to carpool with me, I'm not expecting anything from them. My F150 gets 13 mpg and we drive quite a distance to dive at times. I appreciate my dive buddies trying to buy lunch, but I try my best to decline the offer. I figure I'd be driving anyways and it's more enjoyable to have the company. I guess as a boat owner you could always go out on your own, but I doubt it would be as enjoyable. Recreationally speaking, maintenance costs are the boat owners, if you can't handle that, then don't buy a boat.

It's really simple, if someone doesn't appreciate the fact that you do pay to maintain, store, and operate the boat by either volunteering their time or pitching in for gas (or both) then don't invite them again. I don't own a boat now because I'm not prepared to pay these costs and if I did own a boat again, I would never require a voluntary payment for oil, parking, insurance, etc, and I would only hope to get some gas money.

I own a 21' Privateer..set up for diving..has a 200hp Yamaha motor on it. Burns less fuel than my old 175 Johnson did. Still cost is high. My winter storage went up $500. This past winter..that really pis!$ed me off. Summer rate at a slip here is $1,500. For the season. So even before leaving the dock my costs are $3,000 +. When I take out friends I really appreciate any contributions. Divers with T Rex arms (they cannot reach their pockets) can stay home or dive the quarry.

DSCN1597.jpgDSCN1591.jpg gas bill is hell, but you sure get to the site quickly.....

In all honestly, I have given up diving off my boat. Wear and tear, upkeep and fuel as well as the extra time of prep and clean are better spent by handing the local charter operator $100-$120 for a two tank dive.....

Note - please do not take this as whining, complaining, etc. And I especially don't want the guys who dove with me the other day to think I'm upset with them with regards to the money they chipped in for gas.
However, I was wondering how you other boat owners out there handle this delitcate issue. Do you simply factor in your gallons used vs. known MPG and split the bill evenly (including yourself in there as contributor?)

Do you factor in other things like wear and tear, insurance, taxes, maintenance, upkeep, etc.?
When people ask me how much they owe me for gas I never know what to say - if I say a figure that seems too much I'd feel bad that they might think they are getting jipped. I honestly love the companionship and the numbers provided by some people are actually worth something since I have so few. If it weren't for these guys joining me I wouldn't be going out at all since my wife doesn't dive.

Also, I wonder if telling someone in advance what the cost was based on expected miles driven, could that be interpreted as hiring out, which is illegal unless you have the proper licenses?

since the OP is in florida the law that Wookie quoted is the one grey2112 was worried about. wear/tear, ins, taxes, etc are the owner's responsibility. You can ask for money for gas but they don't have to. how to split the gas? depends on the situation and how often you'll be diving with those people etc. if they are going out regularly with you... i'd say split evenly between everyone including yourself based either on gallons used or the cost of filling it for next trip etc...
you can ask them to help clean it after the day ends... voluntarily of course -- but with the understanding that the cleaner it is then, cleaner it is for the next dive.

telling in advance based on expected miles isn't hiring out, it's just letting them know upfront their possible portion -- again -- strictly voluntary unless they are part owners...

so how you figure the cost depends on how often you go out and whether it's the same people everytime. Do you fill up right after you come back? if so can just divide at that time or figure off gallons used & mpg.

This was just covered on "The Hull Truth" regarding fishing charters and a member of the Coast Guard chimed in. As long as the expenses are actually incurred and not inflated for profit, and the owner covers his share of expenses, you cannot be considered a commercial charter.

The golden rule I have always gone by as with a few people earlier in the thread is that if you are supplying the boat then you shouldn't have to pay for gas. Whoever you are bringing should pony up that cost.

I always pickup the tab ( or at least try ) when using other peoples stuff... If you are a adult you should know what stuff cost... Break out the cash people.

jim...

We've owned our 52 foot sailboat for 21 years. Costs about $15,000 a year to keep in a marine berth, insurance, maintenance, etc. without considering fuel. Probably get to use it on average 60 days a year (if we're lucky). That equates to $250 per day of use, not counting fuel. Not bad considering what it would cost to stay in a hotel or resort without the ever changing scenery and ambiance.

Our trips are always at least overnight and sometimes for a week or more. Often the wife and I prefer to be by ourselves but occasionally we also like the idea of sharing the experience with another couple.

If we take another couple out we usually just share the actual cost of food but if the same people enjoy the use of our boat on a continuing basis ask for a more realistic sharing of expenses. Not our actual costs but they get to pay for all the food and all the fuel (remember we are a sailboat). We always discuss the costs before departure but do not accept payment until we return safely.

I'm not a lawyer but I imagine that any payment would most likely only be a problem if someone got hurt.

If we feel that anyone is taking advantage of us we simply find reasons to no longer take them out. There is no shortage of people wanting to enjoy the experience.

Regards,

Bert & Wilda

We generally chip in what the boat owner asks us to. In the end I look at it this way. The trip has been cheaper than using the local dive shop's boat ($40 instead of $120), we go to place off the beaten track and we fish as well as dive.

I'm not a boat owner but I would expect to pay for drinks/snacks and at least my share of fuel, I'd probably make sure the owners share was covered too. I would also expect to help wash the boat after the trip.

I'd feel pretty uncomfortable if someone invited me out for a days diving and ended up out of pocket because of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom