• No I would dive solo

Votes: 33 37.9%
  • maybe I would

Votes: 16 18.4%
  • Yes I would dive if I had a reliable dive partner

Votes: 38 43.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife made me promise that I would never dive alone. For better or worse, that is the way it is for me.

(I bet solo diving is relaxing though.)

Solo diving is not allowed in Florida state parks, and a dive boat will assign you a buddy if you don't have one. My regular buddy is a little less available, so I dive a little less.

I knew Florida was too good to be true.:depressed:

...and a dive boat will assign you a buddy if you don't have one. My regular buddy is a little less available, so I dive a little less.

I've seen plenty of solo divers go out on dive boats. Most times the DM tries to pair singles up, but if you politely decline, provided there are enough dive flags (or you have your own) they let you go.

My solo dives are usually after friends have left the site if I can get one in I will but it depends on the site. Sometimes I just go out on my own even when I'm with a group.

If the difficulty is moderate to extreme I would not dive without a buddy.

I usually find a partner pretty easily because I'm always happy to take new divers out on what I call "tours" where we poke around in shallower water looking under ledges and such so I can point out the different creatures to them.

I've seen plenty of solo divers go out on dive boats. Most times the DM tries to pair singles up, but if you politely decline, provided there are enough dive flags (or you have your own) they let you go.

Considering the way you have worded this post, and the way you didn't include the entire quote you seemed to be responding to, I have to question whether you have ever made dives from a charter boat in Florida State Park waters? I have made dives from a number of charter boats, in both the Florida Keys and the Hawaiian Islands and except on drift dives, which are usually "group" dives, the flag on the boat is the only flag; even on "cattle barges."

I am still wondering which Florida State Parks are dived from charter boats? :idk:

halemanō;5231160:
What Florida State Parks do dive operators drop divers into from dive boats?

Answer to quiz: John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park. But... sorry to confuse you. Park and boat were sepatate statements, separated by a comma.

Every now and then, I'll be on a Florida dive boat that drops off a solo diver, despite their written policies. It is usually someone they have known a long time. If you get on a boat expecting to solo dive, you may be assigned an "insta-buddy" instead.

Inland Florida state parks present written requirements and you sign it. At our local Blue Springs, you sign up as a dive group. At more remote locations, the C cards are left on the dash of your vehicle, in plain view through the windshield. These rules are enforced.

Florida beach diving is not as common as one might think. That and owning your own boat are two ways I know to solo dive in Florida.

For me, the only answer to this question is that it depends:

a) If I'm diving shallow to look at the fish and share the experience, I'll refrain from diving unless I'm with a buddy;

b) If I'm diving below 150' on air, I'll dive alone. Regardless of how many divers are available, if I don't know them I go solo;

c) If I'm doing a deep wreck or cave penetration, I dive with a capable buddy.

d) If I'm working, I'll dive alone with a standby as a matter of course.

I can't vote yet because I haven't done my open water certification dive yet. That is scheduled on the 29th at Loch Low Minn in Athens, TN. I hope to meet the TN area divers and become part of a buddy network here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom