How long do regs last?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an Atomic Z2 which has proven to be a pretty awesome reg. Can anyone please tell me how long are modern piston regs supposed to last? If you service them on time and dont mistreat them etc. Thanks.

I don't know, my Scubapro MK10/G250s are still going strong from the 80's. The Aquamaster double hose would work if I sent it into vintage divers for an overhaul.

I have absolutely no idea, but I can't imagine they have any type of defined life expectancy providing one takes care of them properly - and providing parts are still available x-number of years down the road. Sure, parts will need changed to keep it in peak condition, but we have folks here that are diving with some (I hesitate to say this) "ancient relics". That's gear that's been loved and taken care of, proven itself and obviously trusted.

I too have regs from the late 80's and early 90's that are in perfect conditions except for some scratches. I rinse and soak them well after each trip and store them in a dry closet in between, and I don't do annuals: I service them only when they need it, and that's about every 100 dives or so.

I have an Atomic Z2 which has proven to be a pretty awesome reg. Can anyone please tell me how long are modern piston regs supposed to last? If you service them on time and dont mistreat them etc. Thanks.
If you buy a name brand quality reg ( like the Atomic Z2 or a Scubapro MK25/S600 ), then it should last you a lifetime of diving.

The problem is if the company goes out of business, then it is the lifetime of the company.

I know with Scubapro - a 50 year company - if parts are not available for your 30+ year old reg. and you are the original owner, then you can get an upgrade to a new reg at an incredible deal.

Myt conshelf 14's were made in the early 70's and are still going strong. I suspect my grand kids will be able to dive them someday.

For modern regs, it really depends on 2 things, how long will the company support the reg, no parts means you must buy a new reg and how long will the plastic that modern regs are made of will last. I recently saw a responce from a major brand here on SB for a late 90s reg that they did not support any longer. To me that is unacceptble and they dropped off my even consider list...and frankly my guess is that was half BS, the parts are likely still available, just that they don't put together in a kit and I saw another tell a member that parts are not available and I know full well they are (have got them recently) but they also do not come in an official kit any longer. For the well build metal regs of the past....something just short of forever as long as you can get parts or make them yourself. My early 60s DH regs are going strong because of the efforts of aftermarket parts producers like Vintage Double Hose. I doubt there will be the same effort for single hose regs, esp the modern ones.

Regs will last as long as you want, provided they're not abused and the manufacturer is still producing parts kits (or you're able to find your own source of parts).

Some Dacor regs have become increasingly difficult to acquire parts since the company went under but they're still serviceable provided you're able to acquire the parts.

If you buy a name brand quality reg ( like the Atomic Z2 or a Scubapro MK25/S600 ), then it should last you a lifetime of diving.

I agree with the "Beav" to a point. Manufacturers such as Aqualung, Scubapro, Oceanic, and Sherwood usually support their regulars for a long time. There are some exceptions I know, usually the regs that differ greatly from their normal product lines. However, I disagree with the assertion that higher performing regs last longer. A MK-2 / R295 will last just as long as a MK-25 / S600, it just won't breath as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom