How long do regs last?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I dive a `new comer` (squeal) and I've done the math regarding buying more expensive top tier brands and servicing every year vs. buying the regulator I have and servicing it every other year. I've even done the what-if math of replacing the regulator every five years and the numbers are good. In other words, this whole question of longevity isn't very concerning to me.

I think the main issue is the plastic components on modern regulators and the plethora of designs that seem to come and go causing parts support issues down the road. That is why I have always liked AL and Scuba Pro in that they seem to manage to repackage the same old innards into new looking outards so that parts can be used back decades and decades. Nothing against Atomic or other relative newcomers who may make fine products, even superior products, get back with us in 30 years and see if you can still get the first stage seat or second stage whatever.

N

Ditto Apeks.

Ditto Apeks? Are you saying they are mostly metal seconds with the same internal parts and should be around for decades or that they may not pass the test of time? I don't know much about the brand except that it is ALs tech stuff and the 'the black pearl' is a cool name for a ship and a reg.

For longevity and practicality, it's very difficult to beat either the conshelf or the MK5/109 combo. Lets say you find a decent looking MK5/109 for about $100, a very typical price. Then you pay once to get it rebuilt including upgrading the 109 to balanced/adjustable, for another $100. You now have a $200 all metal regulator that breathes extremely well, FAR better than needed for anything except-maybe- the most extreme technical dives, excellent for cold water use, especially if you pack the 1st stage ambient chamber, and it will last for decades with minimal maintenance.

I agree that the limiting factor these days is likely to be plastic construction and/or manufacturer support.

---------- Post Merged at 09:20 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:17 AM ----------

If VDH is around in 30 years there will be parts or will it be VSH by then?

There sort-of already is, with Bryan expanding his parts supply in the single hose area. It's now possible to get everything needed, including all rubber parts, to restore and upgrade a 109 to balanced/adjustable, from VDH.

I don't know my oldest is 57 years old and still going. I think it will last longer than me.

I don't know, my Scubapro MK10/G250s are still going strong from the 80's.

Likewise mine (I have 5 or 6 Mk10s), although finding parts for them has been difficult for the shop I service them at.

I'm pretty abusive with my gear. I only service the regs when they break (very rare), don't rinse them after use in salt water, etc. Of course I also dive with redundancy.

Likewise mine (I have 5 or 6 Mk10s), although finding parts for them has been difficult for the shop I service them at.

I'm pretty abusive with my gear. I only service the regs when they break (very rare), don't rinse them after use in salt water, etc. Of course I also dive with redundancy.

What parts is your shop having trouble finding?

I have SP 109's (some have become 156's) that were "old" when I got them pre-1990.... Still going strong....

Does anyone know if the serial #s on the seconds can be tied to years? I thought I heard they cannot.

In 1988 my wife and I saved up to buy our first set of gear, Sherwood Brut and Silhouette BCs. It was quite an expenditure for us then. Used them for years before we got new gear, the other day just because I could went diving with it. It worked just like new.

Ditto Apeks? Are you saying they are mostly metal seconds with the same internal parts and should be around for decades or that they may not pass the test of time? I don't know much about the brand except that it is ALs tech stuff and the 'the black pearl' is a cool name for a ship and a reg.

Should have bolded section I was referring to, I meant that they use same service kits for all models save the Flight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom