How long do regs last?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with the "Beav" to a point. Manufacturers such as Aqualung, Scubapro, Oceanic, and Sherwood usually support their regulars for a long time. There are some exceptions I know, usually the regs that differ greatly from their normal product lines. However, I disagree with the assertion that higher performing regs last longer. A MK-2 / R295 will last just as long as a MK-25 / S600, it just won't breath as well.
I agree 100%, a MK2/R295 will last as long as a MK25/S600. ( I hope you realize I never made that assertion, perhaps someone else did. )

There is not reason why you should ever need to buy another one as long as you take care of it. Unless you want to upgrade to like the Atomic TI

I agree 100%, a MK2/R295 will last as long as a MK25/S600. ( I hope you realize I never made that assertion, perhaps someone else did. )

Sorry if I misunderstood. If I remember correctly you said quality name brand and used a MK-25/S600 as an example. Before the A700 the MK25/S600 was Scubapro's top of the line combination.

Sorry if I misunderstood. If I remember correctly you said quality name brand and used a MK-25/S600 as an example. Before the A700 the MK25/S600 was Scubapro's top of the line combination.
All Scubapro regs. are Quality Regs from the MK2/R295 to the MK25T/S600T ( Titanium ).

My grandaughter got certified last year. I fixed her up with a Mk5/BA/Adj that I picked up on ebay 6 years ago. I expect that she will be able to dive that set as long as she would like.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought 2 years ago a full metal Dacor reg set. I do not know exactly the manufacture date, but I guess it was built in the 80's.
It was in pristine condition, and so it remains. I dived it already many, many times.
Fortunatelly there is aftermarket parts done by Trident for those old, full metal Dacor regs.
At least here in my country, there is a Mares representative that can service any Dacor regs. No problem to get parts.

Let me see. I'll let you know how long a regulator lasts when my 1959 DA Aquamaster wears out or when my 1970s era Conshelfs give out. More accurately, my great-great-grandchildren might tell you.

I have an Atomic Z2 which has proven to be a pretty awesome reg. Can anyone please tell me how long are modern piston regs supposed to last? If you service them on time and dont mistreat them etc. Thanks.

I think the main issue is the plastic components on modern regulators and the plethora of designs that seem to come and go causing parts support issues down the road. That is why I have always liked AL and Scuba Pro in that they seem to manage to repackage the same old innards into new looking outards so that parts can be used back decades and decades. Nothing against Atomic or other relative newcomers who may make fine products, even superior products, get back with us in 30 years and see if you can still get the first stage seat or second stage whatever.

N

If VDH is around in 30 years there will be parts or will it be VSH by then?

Vintage Scuba Era like the Muscle Car Era is not a floating point. I doubt very many plastic regulators will retain any appeal 40 years from now like an Aqua Master or even a few of the classic all metal single hose regs. I just threw two 80s plastic Mares second stages away, cases cracked at the hose attach, not worth fooling with.

I turned a new seat for a couple of my regs today, sneeked away from my office, in between making a tool at work, shhh, do not tell the boss, he doesn't care really. Almost anything can be made custom or one off.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom