How long do regs last?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manufacturers are not legally required to maintain parts availability 7 years after they cease manufacture of the product. Some components will continue to be made for use in other products, and some, like o-rings, are available from other sources. Parts that are frequently used and financially viable will continue to be made either by the manufacturer or a third party vendor. You may get the reg serviced but, for example, a plastic cover plate from 1995 you better start looking on ebay. This problem is not exclusive to SCUBA.

Now the lack of tech with expertise in repair of old equipment has made a number of us DIY techs and created a niche business for a number of talented individuals that enjoy working on the old gear, and some short run manufacturing jobs from the same crowd. I thank you all.

Bob
------------------------------------------------
Always use the right tool for the job. A hammer is the right tool for any job. Anything can be used as a hammer.

There were some early 109s that had a pin instead of the C clip keeping the adjustment knob from falling out. I haven't seen one in a while. Is that what you have?

It's not the D clip that goes in a hole and goes over the barrel, but more like a spring clip that goes in slots...

I too have one with a slot, just visible in the pic below. The D clip works OK, just a bit harder to remove:

109%232-Lever-Height.jpg

yep, that's it! It didn't come with/use a d-clip....

:idk: Purchased my US Diver (Aqualung) regs in 1989. Still working great. If they ever quit I'll come back and give you a definitive answer. :)

:idk: Purchased my US Diver (Aqualung) regs in 1989. Still working great. If they ever quit I'll come back and give you a definitive answer. :)

Yeah, right. As if you're gonna live long enough to wear 'em out!:D

Mine (SP 109's) were garage sale (well) used by that time (1988)... Nope, they don't make them like they used to....

These older regs with there all metal seconds are nice. I keep looking at that ScubaPro A700 (not buying it but I do have some bad lust for it). It appears to be very well made. I wonder if others will take note and start to offer something along the same lines? Probably not but you can dream (or you can order a brand new conshelf 14)

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom