• Newbie - my gear is still brightly coloured and scuff free

Votes: 26 19.0%
  • Reasonable length of time - none of my gear matches any more

Votes: 24 17.5%
  • Quite a while - long enough to forget and relearn how to use tables

Votes: 45 32.8%
  • Long time - I remember when the first horse collar BCDs came in

Votes: 18 13.1%
  • Forever - I remember using double hose regulators!

Votes: 24 17.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had to vote "forever". Not only do I remember double hose regulators. I owned and used one. A VOIT Trieste to be specific. My original PADI cert card is dated Sept 10, 1969 if that means anything to anybody.

It was signed by Ralph Erricson and John Cronin, the originators of PADI, when they still worked out of a garage. Long beore the days of OWm AOW, Specialties and such. In fact, we didn't even have SPG's back then.

For all of you who have 30+ years diving, thanks for leading the way.
Compared to you all I'm a newbie, got my YMCA cert in 1995.

Got my YMCA Cert in April 1969. First reg was a double hose Royal Aqua-Master

I got certified in 1986 at 22. I originally did it because my husband had gotten certified the year prior and I didn't want to be left at home. We had 2 small sons so diving was hard to fit in, but we re-joined the community again in 2002. Started seriously diving last year, every weekend. I can't get enough. I'm so addicted.............help me.....

Began in 1988. Still modern dive gear in 1988. Not much has really changed except for the use of computers and mixed gas.

Was talking to my wife and father about this.

I had my first chance to use SCUBA equipment some 27 years ago. Had I done it, I would of been 11 at the time and I know I would not of been certified at all. Nor would those who were trying to get me to try it.. I was telling them how that could of changed my life in so many ways.. I either could of died trying it or loved or hated it from that moment. Had I enjoyed it, Who knows where we would of dove (we were rather wealthy at the time) and how many dives I would of completed. I joked and told my wife that I may of had a chance to meet her on her first trip to Cozumel and we would of met some 12 years earlier.

I have only been diving for 2 or so years.. I have nearly 65 dives. Will most likely break 100 this year.

Certified Nov./05. 125 dives. Some of you guys actually make me feel young at 55. I watched Sea Hunt at age 7 or 8. But, bfisher regarding your Sept.'69 certification, I do remember clearly the Mets heading toward the W.S. at that time.

Back
Top Bottom