Question Did Scuba prevent you having a midlife crisis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm only 42. Too soon to say. Been diving close to two decades.

It did for me - rather than wonder “where to go from here…or “what to do in life” I know I want to spend whatever money I save on Scuba holidays and feel good about myself. Scuba has meant that I can easily justify those $600 on flight tickets and travel to exotic places because now I am not being just one more guy with a camera pointing everywhere and eating in a fancy restaurant a 1000 miles away from home. Scuba gives me a sense of purpose and a means to enjoy an active lifestyle vacation . In other words, Scuba has, as the title suggests - pre-empted the possibility of a mid-life crisis for me. Wholly agree on that!

Not sure about midlife crisis (I'm 52), but scuba has always helped each time my life gets complicated. It's just right now : elderly parents, change of job...

Not able to dive just right now, must wait till February : meeting friends, diving again "La Gabinière", "Donator" and so on in Le Var. Will be a brain cleansing week.

I've been called a fish my whole life. I was born to dive, just didn't know it until I was 33 (currently 39).

A mid life crisis to me would be something that keeps me young. I don't think diving is it (although it does keep me active and fit). I have my kids and grandkid for keeping me young. Diving is more of a way of life. I can see myself diving for many many years. I think mid life crisis stuff wears off or gets old?

Diving feels exciting to me every time I do it.

It was I guess. Now as I get more away from it, I see how many mistakes I made getting into it the way I did. While it was fun and I made money, friends, and contacts around the world, it also cost me in some ways that I'll never get back.
Now cycling has replaced most all of the time I used to spend around diving. With less cost in terms of logistics, time, money (even though I've got 4 grand in my newest bike), and much less risk.

No.
My ego doesn't depend upon what I do.

It was I guess. Now as I get more away from it, I see how many mistakes I made getting into it the way I did. While it was fun and I made money, friends, and contacts around the world, it also cost me in some ways that I'll never get back.
Now cycling has replaced most all of the time I used to spend around diving. With less cost in terms of logistics, time, money (even though I've got 4 grand in my newest bike), and much less risk.
Funny, I was going to post just the opposite. Cycling was way more expensive and dangerous for me... Broken bones, broken bikes, concussions, new bikes, ER visits, infections (road rash), race fees.

I am always happy when a student shows up and they've been a cyclist - I've never had one say that diving is too expensive. :)

Not sure about midlife crisis (I'm 52), but scuba has always helped each time my life gets complicated. It's just right now : elderly parents, change of job...

Not able to dive just right now, must wait till February : meeting friends, diving again "La Gabinière", "Donator" and so on in Le Var. Will be a brain cleansing week.

It's always helpful to have a dive trip to look forward to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom