• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

How many hobbies do you have, other than diving?

Discussion in 'Non-Diving Related Stuff' started by Dogbowl, Aug 21, 2019.

1. martincohn

martincohn Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    In no particular order...
    Diving...duh!
    Bee keeping...have 2 hives in the backyard
    Ham radio...have cut down to just CW and low power
    Guns...shoot um, collect them, carry every day!

Made a conscientious effort to cull the list down as getting ready to start thinking about retiring.

Now just need a full time porter to lug all the dive gear around!

HKGuns and Sam Miller III like this.
  2. Fotor

Fotor Garibaldi

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    I just registered and soon came across this thread. The first thing that comes to mind reading the question: "Too many!" But every hobby is too nice not to do it.
    A list of hobbies:

- Diving. I've been diving for 2,5 years now, but just bought my own equipment and am now intensifying this hobby.

- Building and flying model airplanes. I'm also editor for a Dutch modelflying magazine. My job is flying the big one in the picture below.
    Boeing3.JPG

- Photography. Mainly taking pictures during work, but also the models and my young dog are some favorite subjects.
    Vliegen1.jpg

- Raising my now 5 months old Labrador Retriever.
    Waldo1.jpg

- Flying single engine airplanes around the country.
    VCR1.jpg

- Playing piano.

- Editing movies, often related to my other hobbies (model flying, diving and my job).
    You probably see a lot of diving movies on this forum, so for a change a movie about my fantastic job:

No time to get bored :D

Soloist, Sh0rtBus, MichaelMc and 6 others like this.
  3. Graeme Fraser

Graeme Fraser Tech Instructor

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Loved the video!

Fotor likes this.
  4. SWiggs

SWiggs Angel Fish

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    Working out and rifle/pistol training/comps. Reloading has been fun to learn. Diving is my newest but I've gone all in.

HKGuns likes this.
  5. Hoag

Hoag Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I learned how to shoot on an FAL. Technically, it wasn't actually an FAL. It was an FN C1A1, and I learned to shoot it in Basic Training.

Rusty Shackleford likes this.
  6. Storker

Storker Divemaster

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I've got about a dozen hobbies. Fortunately, they seem to mesh:

Diving
    Hunting
    Photography
    Cooking
    Fishing
    UW photography (diving + photo)
    UW hunting and harvesting (diving + hunting/fishing)
    Seafood cooking (UW hunting/harvesting + cooking)
    Cooking game (hunting + cooking)
    Ocean fishing (boating + fishing)
    Shooting (heck, if you're gonna shoot at an animal, you better be able to shoot straight)

Lorenzoid likes this.
  7. Lorenzoid

Lorenzoid idling in neutral buoyancy

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Other hobbies have definitely suffered from me doing more diving. The dive gear has taken over the room that used to be my home brewery, so no space. for that until I have a larger home.

My wife/dive buddy and I used to do a day hike in the mountains every few weekends, but now that we are diving more we rarely find time for hiking. The last time we went hiking we agreed how wonderful it was to walk around unencumbered by tanks on our backs and constrictive, hot suits (the worst part about diving in hot climates with cool waters). The freedom of it was refreshing.

We still manage to cook something fun on weekends when we aren’t diving, but rarely anything as elaborate as we did before diving took over our lives. (Tonight it’s grilled amberjack on tomatillo sauce.)

But the biggest hobby that has suffered the most surely has to be non-dive travel. We used to do things like New Orleans or New York City for a long weekend, or Europe for a week many years. No time or budget for that anymore. We still make a point to combine major dive trips, such as Asia, with a good bit of land-based tourism and dining adventures, though.

Hoag likes this.
  8. remante

remante Angel Fish

I love fishing, camping, biking and reading books. I also do off-roading with my friends. I drive a '08 Wrangler that I upgraded with some aftermarket jeep accessories including a lift kit, rock sliders, a winch and a lot more.

9. CAPTAIN SINBAD

CAPTAIN SINBAD Divemaster Candidate

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Presently my energies and finances are divided between ...

1. Martial arts (Brazilian Jiujitsu, submission grappling)
    2. Diving
    3. Lifting weights. I have been wanting to get into power-lifting but so far my weight training is simply for bodybuilding purposes and to have strength in jiujitsu.
    4. Writing

GG.jpg

I am looking to get into:

1. Pistol shooting.
    2. Hunting
    3. Camping

But not sure if I should open up new ventures when I have not been able to dedicate as much time to my old ones as I want to.

10. aldertyler

aldertyler Angel Fish

I used to have hobbies, then I had kids...