How Many People Have Advanced Medical Training

What is your Advanced Level of Medical Training?

• Emergency Medical Technician

Votes: 21 39.6%
  • Paramedic

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • LPN

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • RN

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Physicians Assisitant

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MD/DO

Votes: 10 18.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are times when I disagree with the care I am offering. There are cases where my training dictates a course of action that I am not permitted to take. All EMT's operate under Standing Orders called protocols. There are times when our Protocols call for a given course of action, even when our training dictates another course of action. We just have to live with it. And, even though the Samaritan Laws are there, they are almost worthless. Juries can be funny sometimes.

I am a Registered Nurse, and I don't flaunt my credentials but, if asked by others in my dive group my occupation I don't hesitate to tell them. I have found when travelling as a diver with a non-diver husband, I am in groups that I do not know. People being people that want to get to know one another usually ask what your career is back home. Would I assist or take charge of an event requiring medical assistance, of course. I like to go by the Golden Rule and I certainly would want medical help if it were there if I needed it. I have been at business meetings with my husband where a fellow manager in his company experienced a heart attack, combined with too much sun and dehydration that day. I assisted him until the EMT's arrived and then backed off letting them take over. I have also stopped at a traffic accident that I witnessed when my two boys were 6 & 7 yrs. old they wouldn't let me pass it by. Kept saying mom you are a nurse go see if you can help. As soon as the sheriff arrived they told me to go on and they would take over. They did not take my name or license down. I never knew any more about it. But, I do feel I did what any prudent nurse would have done in that situation. Nor do I regret involvment.

I agree with jbd...it just depends so much on what exactly it is that you do. I'm in the medical field, and I think I'm reasonably good at what I do, but it's just so very specialized (it involves the use of equipment that costs more than the GDP of some developing countries!) that it doesn't come in handy on a regular basis, and it CERTAINLY isn't going to come in handy when I dive. A well trained basic EMT is going to be better qualified to handle an emergency medical situation than I will. OTOH, my best friend is a cardiologist, which WOULD be helpful in a lot of emergency situations. It's always nice when the pump thing works properly :wink:

Originally posted by waterboy
Does Veterinary Medicine count?....maybe for the fish huh?

Are you a vet? If so, have you seen the request from the Cozumel Humane Society for diving vets. You volunteer for a while at the Humane Society...you get, free lodging, free diving and cheap food. I fyou wnat the URL...let me know.

Math isn't my favorite thing...but I notice of the people with advanced medical training...almost 70% are emergency response people EMT/EMT-Ps. Could this be an adrenaline junky indicator???

After doing it for years, I rarely have an adrenaline rush at a scene...but once in a while...and I know when I am anticipating getting into the water...wahoo!!!

As to the issue about helping out when you aren't working and out of your district. I let my conscience be my guide. If the available help looks competent and doesn't need me...I'll hang back...if they need help or are incompetent ...I'm in there. Don't want some slimey dude covered with seaweed haunting my dreams and interrupting my sleep clanking anchor chains. :bonk:

I am a medical student......with one month to go before I receive my MD. I ceritified last April. My girlfriend is in the same boat (no pun intended) and my dad is a divemaster and has his MD. I have noticed many people who dive are in the medical profession.
With regards to who best can deal with medical emergenices, I think that it really depends on the person not the qualifications/certifications one has. A person must first be self-reliant and prepared mentally and physically during an emergency before taking on the stress of the situation. Medical training in general is designed to allow a person to not only have the knowledge to diagnose and treat, but also the ability to step back and think clearly and quickly. An EMT or paramedic is well trained to deal with acute situations and provide early therapy so they have the ideal training for situations they might encounter while diving.
An MD is nice to have in theory but the specialty training beyond the basic degree is important. You might not want a pathologist or psychiatrist dealing with that emergency, but an emergency medicine physician, internal medicine doctor or surgeon might be very helpful. I am not discounting the training a pathologist or psychiatrist have both may be very skilled at caring for patients in emergent situations but their training is not tailored to it. The same goes for RN's (critical care RN's and emergency RN's have advanced training). In short it is always nice to have a medical professional around (EMT, paramedic, RN, APRN, PA, MD/DO/MBBS), but even training as a medic first aid is important. I definitely recommend everyone to receive CPR and first aid training. (future) Doctor's orders! :) -j

I desire no further "adrenaline rush". I have coded too many patients to want anymore.

And have rescused one too many diver(just one) and that was enough.

I want everything to run "smooth" and uneventful-I have to worry about my U/W photos now!!!

But I find it suprising how easy and straight forward it is to resusitate a person-just airway exchange and circualtion. The ACLS protocol seem to emphasize the basics more and more each year.

I want to join too!

Seriously, we dentists are actually doctors too! My training included a hospital residency. I did a year of general anesthesia, ER trauma and was a member of the "Chest Team" when in anesthesia call. We responded to all codes. I have treated more bullet wounds and head trauma than I ever care to see again.

Heck, I could even do a D&C if I would reverse my treatment chair!

I, like buff, have rescued two different divers on two different occasions. This was more than enough for me. One victim "appropriated" my 2nd stage from me in 80 fsw. He nearly pulled out my teeth in the process and he scared the **** out of me. He ended up in Curacau ICU for two days. He recovered. It leaves a heavy duty impression on the rescuer though. Still think about it at times.

Two of my cave diving buddies are ER docs.

The only medical expereince I have is with dead bodies and that's not really medical related I guess since they are already dead, and I don't do anything really medical related to them except for the few times that I get to assist with them other than my regular job.

I am CPR and first aid qualified, and will be taking my First Responders and EMT through the fire department.

Scubaddawg,

GET WET OR GO HOME!

Back
Top Bottom