How much classroom and pool instruction do you need to be ready to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So wouldnt that be the same as my weekend class and 5 open water dives? My class was private. Just me. Point I was making is I'm ready to go out and get more experience with a local dive master. My instructor lives 12 hours away.

You are taking a very good approach to your diving. Good choice.

You are taking a very good approach to your diving. Good choice.

Trust me I know my limits. :wink: I'm kind of amazed I did as well as I did to begin with, because I don't swim well, especially in deep water. I plan to take it slow, try and get some dives in before going back to Florida next year and try and get myself in shape so that isn't an issue.

Reactions: mdb
It really depends on where you intend to dive. Diving crystal clear tropical waters around Koh Tao with a CDC that brings a DM for every 2 divers is as easy as it gets, the best-case scenario. Pool time tends to get cut in favor of easy house reef dives. A typical OWD course in such places takes 4 days, so don't expect adequacy from anything shorter.

The end result of that course is just being able to dive in tropical waters under DM supervision. Diving conditions outside of vacation destinations tend to be a lot harsher and actually dangerous; you can't just use the ocean as a big pool like they do in the tropics.
It takes more time still to get good and expand your divesite selection. So if you have the choice and the time, longer is usually better.

Not always though: I know some shops that do unusually long courses, weeks for anything... simply because they don't have enough staff, and the instructor-DM-captain squeezes the student in before and between guided dives.

Don't necessarily look for private instruction. Learninh in a group of 2 students can be just as good - you get to observe your fellow student, get into a team spirit, even help them (nothing like helping another to get your own skill down!); it can be well worth the small loss in instructor attention, depending on the person. 3 students, or 4 with a DM/AI can be OK too. Anything more is a crowd, even if the standards technically allow for it.

OWD is just the first step in training, but that training doesn't get repeated before DMT (where few divers go), and you rarely get a chance to practice some of them. Getting them down in a solid OWD program is well worth the investment. There's no one number that is "enough", there's always better.

Be sure to check the reviews and, if you have the choice, actually talk to the staff, or, better, your instructor before committing. This board has a lot of divers and dive pros from everywhere, so asking here about a specific dive shop or location can also yield results.

Last edited:
It really depends on where you intend to dive. Diving crystal clear tropical waters around Koh Tao with a CDC that brings a DM for every 2 divers is as easy as it gets, the best-case scenario.

Seen that first hand. Spent a few weeks there this year whilst working on my MSD with Master Divers. Saw some excellent divers and saw ones that needed a lot of hand-holding.

I was mostly busy on my specs, however I did do some pleasure dives. For a number of them they were happy to have me tool along at the back, keeping an eye on my instabuddy. I'm planning to go back and start my DM in a couple of months.

In my case I only really fancy diving tropical sites and don't intend to become some cold-water drysuit ninja. Horses for courses.

Reactions: mdb
Seen that first hand. Spent a few weeks there this year whilst working on my MSD with Master Divers. Saw some excellent divers and saw ones that needed a lot of hand-holding.

I was mostly busy on my specs, however I did do some pleasure dives. For a number of them they were happy to have me tool along at the back, keeping an eye on my instabuddy. I'm planning to go back and start my DM in a couple of months.

In my case I only really fancy diving tropical sites and don't intend to become some cold-water drysuit ninja. Horses for courses.

The best viz I have had this year has been 5m and the warmest water has been 14degree. 2weeks ago on a shore dive I could not see my fins and in Feb temp was down to 4degree at 10m

Will see them tropical waters one day

. I'm sure the first time I jump off a boat I will be a little anxious, since it will be new. I don't know enough to know if something was missed, but I feel good about my experience so far.

When I jumped off the boat on the backside of Molokini the water was about 3000' feet deep with sharks and a strong current. For me it was exciting, but I can certainly see why someone new at it might be anxious. There were others on the boat who were.

So long as you feel confident enough to go rent some equipment and do a normal dive within your realm of experience so far, that is all I think can be expected. I misunderstood your statement to mean that you did not feel confident enough to go diving at all without your instructor.

When I jumped off the boat on the backside of Molokini the water was about 3000' feet deep with sharks and a strong current. For me it was exciting, but I can certainly see why someone new at it might be anxious. There were others on the boat who were.

So long as you feel confident enough to go rent some equipment and do a normal dive within your realm of experience so far, that is all I think can be expected. I misunderstood your statement to mean that you did not feel confident enough to go diving at all without your instructor.

Honestly I would prefer to go some with someone a little more low key. He is a guy that's always in a higher gear, when I wanted him to slow down a bit more. He's not the hand holding type, and since we were lobster diving, it was more of a mission with a tag along.

Make no mistake, he didn't put me in a bad or unsafe position. He was just tough, and might rub some people the wrong way. But he pushed to keep going when I probably would have not, merely for being out of shape so bad it really kicked my butt, and wasn't much fun. But I made it and am appreciative for him, because it worked for me. He joked that he taught all of his ex girlfrinds the same way, no shortcuts, nothing. I feel confident that's why they are exes. I can't see any woman besides a very driven and motivated one dealing with him in those situations.

The post about diving in clear tropical waters is true. Our worst viz was the last dive and it was down to 20-30ft. Locally our lakes our dark and dirty, so my first time in one will be a test for me.

Honestly I would prefer to go some with someone a little more low key. He is a guy that's always in a higher gear, when I wanted him to slow down a bit more. He's not the hand holding type, and since we were lobster diving, it was more of a mission with a tag along.

Make no mistake, he didn't put me in a bad or unsafe position. He was just tough, and might rub some people the wrong way. But he pushed to keep going when I probably would have not, merely for being out of shape so bad it really kicked my butt, and wasn't much fun. But I made it and am appreciative for him, because it worked for me. He joked that he taught all of his ex girlfrinds the same way, no shortcuts, nothing. I feel confident that's why they are exes. I can't see any woman besides a very driven and motivated one dealing with him in those situations.

The post about diving in clear tropical waters is true. Our worst viz was the last dive and it was down to 20-30ft. Locally our lakes our dark and dirty, so my first time in one will be a test for me.

On one hand you have the advantage of diving with someone who is experienced and confident, but on the other hand, like you said, he is always moving at fast pace. I would think that as long as you can keep an eye on him (so as not to lose sight of him) you might be able to still explore on your own and gain some experience that way. At the very least you are probably learning not to stick your hand in some dark hole without looking first :wink: I don't know how it is in Virginia but here in California when the visibility is low I just look at the small stuff that's on and under the rocks plus whatever is in the sand. I see a LOT of amazing stuff. Most of the diving I do is shore diving in about 35 feet of water and I have a great time doing it. But I also love to dive places such as Cozumel and Hawai'i and won't easily pass up an opportunity to do so. And if such an opportunity does not present itself, I make the opportunity :wink:

The best viz I have had this year has been 5m and the warmest water has been 14degree. 2weeks ago on a shore dive I could not see my fins and in Feb temp was down to 4degree at 10m

Will see them tropical waters one day

Hey, as long as you can see your buddy's fins one foot in front of your face then it's good enough :wink:

Trust me I know my limits. :wink: I'm kind of amazed I did as well as I did to begin with, because I don't swim well, especially in deep water. I plan to take it slow, try and get some dives in before going back to Florida next year and try and get myself in shape so that isn't an issue.

I know I feel more confident knowing I can swim a long distance if necessary. I suggest you find a pool where you can swim laps 2-3 times a week. Start out with however many makes you tired and then increase them gradually. I swim the equivalent of about 1/2 mile 3 times a week and I'm 64. I know I can keep going after my 40-50 laps but how much is enough?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom