How much classroom and pool instruction do you need to be ready to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A lot of great information in this thread. My own personal experience, as my daughter (13) and I just completed our OW this past weekend (SSI) went like this:

1. Took online/e-learning course. This was theory, basics, videos, etc. Provided a good foundation for what we were about to embark on. The online stuff probably took 8-10 hours I imagine.
  2. Went into dive shop and took 50 question exam. Needed 80% to pass but his rule was you couldn't miss any questions that were life threatening safety type questions that would/could get you or your buddy killed.
  3. Went to some springs to do our pool dives 2 weekends later (from the exam). The instructor (very very good instructor w/5600+ dives) provided some classroom type instruction first thing in the morning, then we got wet. We went through 70% of the skills training. We would have done more but my daughter had trouble clearing her ears when we were going to practice them in deeper water (15-20'). Being the springs are 72 degrees, that was enough time to be in the water for everyone - FRIGID, even with a wetsuit... as we weren't moving around a lot. The instructor ratio was my daugher and I to him... so VERY good ratio.
  4. The next day we went to a location where we could do our open water dives. It was Blue Heron Bridge in Florida, so the water temperature was great (mid-80's). Since we didn't finish our skills training the previous day, we stayed in the shallower area and worked through a few things then we went out into the deeper waters where we practiced all those same skills but now at depth. The twist to this time was he had 2 friends of his, one was an instructor, the other was another very seasoned diver (wife of the other instructor) with him. So it was basically 2 instructors plus an assistant to my daughter and I - Outstanding (unique) ratio for sure. We got through about 90% of everything and since the first day had challenges with my daughter equalizing, he wanted us to come back down to Blue Heron Bridge another time for the final things plus a more "fun dive" to test them all out.
  5. So we met again at Blue Heron Bridge about 2 weeks later. This time it was just him and us... so still a VERY good ratio. We went through the skills we had learned plus a couple final ones and then we went and played for the most part with him following and watching. After we were done, we headed home and me and my daughter used up the remaining air in our tanks in our pool where we practiced more buoyancy and skills drills (OOA, etc.).

After that (which amounted to 3 days with the instructors), I do believe my daughter and I are ready to begin the diving adventure which will entail plenty more learning for many years to come. I also know that if we wanted more time in the water, he would have had no problem if we had asked. Every situation is unique I guess.
Your instructor had you take wrong test. The quick review test ( has 25 questions) you should of taken is designed for online students to be sure of ability. The last 4 questions are dive planning questions for you to use RDP or eRDPml. There are no dive planning questions on the 50 question exam. The 50 question exam is designed for traditional text book,DVDvideo, instructor led presentations.

Oops my bad..just noticed it was a SSI course not PADI..have not been an SSI instructor in decades. Do not know what current standards are now.

Oops my bad..just noticed it was a SSI course not PADI..have not been an SSI instructor in decades. Do not know what current standards are now.
I can't really speak to either too much as this is all new to us. There were some dive planning questions on the exam. They were computer related type questions. At the very end of our certification we went through using the dive tables just to be familiar with estimating dive times for subsequent dives and related things you could do with them.

Below I will layout both mine and my wife's background and training.
Myself a former county level swimmer who has spent 15 years swimming 6-10 hours a week
My wife had never spent time swimming or in water more than was necessary.

Our training was 4x 2.5hour sessions once a week and then 2dives the 5th week and 2 dives the 6th so full course over 6weeks and 10hours of confined.
I was comfortable from the start had no issues clearing mask or removing a mask or reg recovery where the wife took alot longer to become comfortable with the skills if the pool sessions had been any closer together I do not think she would have completed the course as the 1week in between was enough time to calm down and relax and build up to the next session where I would have been happy with a 3day course with 1day in the pool and 2days of diving.

It took the wife 8-10dives post qualifying to become happy with diving to the point where she is not worried about the water and now she can focus on the pretty things to see and progress with aow.

So is 1session good enough well all depends on the person background and comfort levels. What may work for 1 will not work for others

Again, I've been away 2 months so sorry if I'm repeating things. Unless you are very adapt to water (and maybe done a lot of snorkeling/free diving) and are quick on the ball, you need more than a "weekends" PADI OW Course. Sorry PADI, just my opinion.

I got a weekend 1 on 1 OW class. Basically I read the entire book and did all the quizzes. My wife even quizzed me during the 12 hour drive to FL. When we arrived, we went over some basics. I spent probably 6 hours in the water at least. I did the equipment setup and break down the 5 times. After lunch, I did the 200 yard swim, which sucked with a full belly. So I got 2 confined water dives that day. The next day we did open water in FT Lauderdale, which were shore dives. We did the 2 training dives. Over the next 3 days, I did another 5 shore dives, including a night dive. It was a bit overwhelming, more so because I'm round and out of shape. By the last dive I felt much better about it, partly because my partners weren't trying to swim like Michael Phelps.

My instructor said I did well and will probably not run into another one that would push me like he did. But he didn't push me past being safe, or past my limits. I got some dives in many don't get that early in their dive experiences.

I felt comfortable with what I learned, but am under no allusions am I ready to just grab some gear and jump in the water. I agree with an OW card being a learner's permit, with much more to learn and more experience to gain.

I felt comfortable with what I learned, but am under no allusions am I ready to just grab some gear and jump in the water. .

I have seen this many times on dive boats where a certified diver apparently didn't feel confident in his or her abilities. Can you tell me exactly what you think was missing from your training that left you feeling unprepared? To me the whole point of getting certified is so that someone will be ready to go diving. If they are not I would think that the certification agency or instructors have failed to do their job.

When I got certified my attitude was "hell yes I'm ready to go." I didn't think I knew everything but I certainly felt like I was adequately trained and qualified and ready to gain more experiences.

I didn't say I was feeling unprepared. After my training dives, I didn't have anyone doing anything for me in the water besides tell me to hurry up. I felt confident enough in how to operate my equipment and do my dives with no issues.

You're right, getting certified makes you ready to do the basics. I feel confident in doing those. I'm ready to go to my local inland dive shop where I live, and go out with someone and gear up and get in the water. Secondarily, I've been in the water for a week doing shore dives. I'm sure the first time I jump off a boat I will be a little anxious, since it will be new. I don't know enough to know if something was missed, but I feel good about my experience so far.

You need way more than a weekend course,

Diving is just that, in the water submerged, not on the internet.

Several weeks of classroom and confined water training followed by
4-5 or more supervised open water dives and drills.

When it came time for my two sons to become certified divers I opted
for semi private classes 5 weeks long, 4 open water dives plus a boat dive.

I wish it had been even more.

Both lads are still diving.

You need way more than a weekend course,

Diving is just that, in the water submerged, not on the internet.

Several weeks of classroom and confined water training followed by
4-5 or more supervised open water dives and drills.

When it came time for my two sons to become certified divers I opted
for semi private classes 5 weeks long, 4 open water dives plus a boat dive.

I wish it had been even more.

Both lads are still diving.

So wouldnt that be the same as my weekend class and 5 open water dives? My class was private. Just me. Point I was making is I'm ready to go out and get more experience with a local dive master. My instructor lives 12 hours away.

Back
Top Bottom