How much weight can you put on your tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Malpaso

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking to get some of the weight off my belt, and I'm thinking of adding some tank band pockets. Is there a limit as to how much should go on the tank? I currently have 30 on the belt and 6 in the BC pockets. I'd like to move as much off the belt as possible. Will too much on the tank throw my trim and/or balance off? Second question, are any of the pockets better than the others?

I have had as much as ten pounds on my cam bands.

That's the number I was shooting for. :thumb:

If you only have 6 in your pockets why not move 5 into each of them? You get 10lb off your belt, and keep it lower on your body. I have 4lb in trim pockets, 5 in each bcd pocket and 20 on my belt. I aim to be getting that down to 16 over the next half a dozen dives.

That said, I have been tempted to throw a 5lb weight on the bottom of each of my AL80s, I will always be properly weighted when I dive them, it will keep the arse end of them down, and will get another 5lb off my gear. Hmm, maybe I will talk to the LDS about it tomorrow.

When ever I need weights if its two pounds or 20 pounds I always use weights on my tank. In a 3mm it may only be 2 or so but that's where they go. Today I dove dry and had 8 on my tank and 6 on a belt. I have even had as much as just 8 on the tank and no belt and it really didn't push my head down much.

It really comes down to how it effects your trim and what can you afford to have as non editable weight. A pair of 5 pound pockets is very common. With my drysuit I run a pair of 3 pounders up there.

If for trim purposes it belongs at your waist but that's not comfortable consider a weight harness.

Pete

What gear are you using that you are wearing 36 lbs of lead; e.g neoprene drysuit with 2 sets of wooly bears and no ankle weights ?

What gear are you using that you are wearing 36 lbs of lead; e.g neoprene drysuit with 2 sets of wooly bears and no ankle weights ?
7mm farmer john, 7mm shorty, hood, gloves, boots. All fairly new.

While you are re-arranging weights, if you don't already use ankle weights, try 2 lbs on each ankle.

Try 4 lbs in pockets on tank. If that doesn't give you problems, move upward.
I use 8 lbs, with 4 pockets. My pockets are too small for 3 pounders, and it doesn't seem worth the bother to replace them. With weights in pouches, that keeps me from needing weight belt.
if you use a stainless steel backplate, that's good for another 6 lbs of ballast, and then I add another 4 lbs of stainless bolted to that. A steel single tank adapter adds another 2 lbs.
In essence, I have 20 lbs of weight on my back, and it gives me no problems, though it can take a bit to get used to.
You want to make sure nothing can slide around, and all weight is as close to your back as possible.

I've never tried this kind of thing with a BC. If the tank is capable of flipping around, you will have problems. A backplate rig keeps everything very stable.

Bottom line, just see what works, what doesn't, then go from there.

Back
Top Bottom