• 5-6 years old.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • more than 6 years old.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't own/use/rent a laptop.

• My laptop is provided by my employer.

• I am self-employed, ignore my response.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I can't read, I don't know, or I'm not sure.

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mine is just over a year old. The one it replaced was close to 4 years old, which is about average for how long I keep my laptops.

But most of what I do on my laptop is low key; word processing, spreadsheets, bit of matlab coding, internet - so I don't need a super-powerful unit. When it comes to high-power processing; like a lot of the stuff I do at work (when I'm not [-]browsing scubaboard[/-] writing on my laptop) requires prety powerful computers, so I use a desktop for that.

I also have a desktop at home, for the same reason. Much cheaper to pack a lot of power into a desktop than into a laptop.

Bryan

could also have meant a palm-top computer... the new ones are getting pretty powerful beyond the old palm pilot?
If a palmtop were a laptop, then it would be called a laptop.

I didn't ask about desktop computers, palmtop computers, dive computers, calculators, watches, adding machines, abacuses, or anything besides laptops.

You guys are trying to make it far more complicated than it is.

Last edited:
My laptop is for play. It's to take out on the boats so I can download and play with my pictures. There is NO business software on it. I bought the 17" Dell. That was nice for editing pictures but horrible to pack 1/2 way across the world round trip twice in a backpack.

The desktop in the study is for work. It doesn't have any pictures on it.

The laptop I use currently is nearly two years old. However it has the power to edit both standard def and HDV video so it does the hard tasks I need it to. I think I still own six older ones dating back to my very first laptop, a CP/M-based Epson Geneva which had the longest battery life of any of them. Of course it had no floppy or hard drives, just a RAM and tape drive but I could sit on the beach all afternoon and write chapters for my early books as long as I didn't run out of RAM.

What are you talking about? I DID say laptop. Many times!!!!!!!!!

FYI, PC != laptop...or desktop for that matter.
Because the title is "How old is your 'computer'?"

Even though this is in the "Non-Diving Related Stuff" area, most will equate your question with their dive computer on a diving forum. It's only natural... :wink:

Why ask the question, "How old is your computer?"

Because Nudediver wants to know, of course!

My Dell D600 was manufactured April 2004. I bought it used about 15 months ago. Works fine for both business and pleasure.

Although I have thought about getting a desktop for working with Photoshop and my other photography-related applications.

Even though this is in the "Non-Diving Related Stuff" area, most will equate your question with their dive computer on a diving forum. It's only natural.
Yeah...if you don't bother to actually read the poll question or the OP. For those readers, I included the option "I can't read, I don't know, or I'm not sure."

Back
Top Bottom