How Rigorous Should Training Be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And oh yah, the Pacific Ocean...

I'm with ya there ... as much as I enjoy my time in the caves, I would really miss the critters ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I get the caves, the Atlantic and the Gulf of Mexico. God I love Florida! :D

I get the caves, the Atlantic and the Gulf of Mexico. God I love Florida! :D

Plus you already live where people move before they die, so you're all set for getting old :mooner:

alright sorry for destroying the thread.

Derail_1.jpg

My thought has always been that a short, cheap, easily accessible cave class attracts people with low self-goals, low standards, and an inherent complacent attitude. The "good enough" syndrome, as I like to call it.

So how do you measure that?

Let's say someone were to come up with a certification course that required a minimum of 100 dives and a minimum of 200 hours of training, costing $20,000, would that mean that the course you took was "short, cheap, and easily accessible?" Would the people who took that course be able to sneer at you, since you are obviously someone with low self-goals, low standards and an inherent complacent attitude?

Or would you automatically take that course to show that you have such high self-standards? If you say yes, then I think a couple of instructors would gladly set up the agency of your dreams for you.

i do have a buddy who didn't feel his/her cavern/intro instructor was worth wasting a bullet on, but yeah, in general most (especially at first) don't know whether their instructor was good or not.

and yes on paul. seen it. sorry to have to say that, since i really like him.

i do have a buddy who didn't feel his/her cavern/intro instructor was worth wasting a bullet on, but yeah, in general most (especially at first) don't know whether their instructor was good or not.

and yes on paul. seen it. sorry to have to say that, since i really like him.

it's ok. everyone has seen it. I just got tired of all the beating around the bush. he's a super nice guy though.

it's ok. everyone has seen it. I just got tired of all the beating around the bush. he's a super nice guy though.

He's gotta be nice. Everyone knows where he dives. Me, I dive all over the place so I can piss you off and you'll have a hard time finding my car to leave your used catheter on the antenna!

(I honestly haven't heard much about Paul Heinerth. Jill, yes, Paul, no. I just couldn't pass up the opportunity for a catheter joke...)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom