How to pack gear for flights.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you normally dive with cutting tools (e.g. knife, line cutter, shears, etc)? RJP pointed out that you need to comply with the airline's carry on guidelines.

Have a great trip!

GJs

There are several back threads on packing for flights/opinions on what should be in checked bags and what in carry-ons. I have HEARD that people have worn their BCs onto the plane as "clothing". Don't know if that's true or if it's a good idea. I don't think you are required to pack any scuba stuff in checked bags, except knives and the like, as mentioned. I believe tank valves must be removed, but who takes a tank?
I should add that if you do have to have a checked bag that's where I'd carefully pack the reg. Some disagree. I think it may be safer there than in a carry on when the stewardess scrunches your carry on to fit other stuff in the bin such as bags and winter coats. Of course that problem didn't exist before the airlines charged extra per checked bag.

Last edited:
you can try a dive caddy backpack. Probably not enough time to get it for next week. Do carry on everything you possibly can. I'm going through a nightmare right now with American Airlines over lost luggage and cancelled flights

DiveCaddy is a very cool system. I love mine- Can all my gear into a carry-on size backpack quite easily, including a Scubapro Knighthawk BCD.

DiveCaddy was in short supply for a while. Not sure if thy are back up and running with new stock yet or not.

I'll second the comment about it being helpful to be a petite female. I can pack a 3 mil, a Zuma or my Zena BC and all the rest, including camera and flash - and clothes, etc., in a carry-on and a backpack. I don't like having to do it, but it is possible. But my husband is 6 feet tall and that makes everything from fins to wetsuit bigger, and that much tougher - and he CAN make it happen when absolutely necessary. Good luck.

I have one set of complete gear which can and has gone carry on. It was all selected for light weight and compact size, for example, Aeris Accel fins, Miflex hoses, fabric plate, plastic D-rings and buckles and cambands etc. Including my cloths for the trip and the needed exposure gear as well which is not always a full wetsuit. Do people really get on an airplane and travel some place with cold water? :wink:

But, in general, this is not practical. My camera, which generally goes with me is alone my usual carry on and my computer and backpack is the other allowed carry on.

N

We have hard sided luggage and put BC, fins and wet suit in one side and clothes in the other. Regulator, dive lights, mask go in the carry on.

Scubawife and I pack this way all the time. Best investment we ever made was semi-hard side luggage from Macy's about 6 years ago. Fins, wetsuits, booties, rash guards provide the outer layer of protection with more sensitive gear toward the middle. Cameras, regs & computers are usually in carry on luggage.

Im reading all this and thinking--well there IS an upside to travelling with a dive family.
Two dive bags take all the gear for the six of us that dive. Then its 1/3-1/2 a checked bag each for clothes etc.

I fly fortnightly normally, (commute UK to middle east) I always carry some scuba gear, and have taken most of my scuba gear as carry on at some time or another. I have never had a problem at security or with the airlines I use. My flights are always International.

I love British Airways, their hand baggage allowance is two pieces, max 23 kg each, but limited to airline carry on dimensions. I always carry my regulators, computers and camera in hand baggage, normally I use a Transpac soft harness, but if I take a plate my backplate also goes in hand baggage, as do my reels, SMB, torches and other accessories, and on my last trip so did my wetsuit.

The only thing that goes in the hold are my fins and knife/cutters. A couple of times I have had questions about my umbilical canister light, but screw the head on, light it up and they have been fine.

Personally I'd never pack regulators or computers in the hold, I have seen plenty of damaged cases, even so called 'hard cases', and have seen the way they throw hold baggage around. I have never had a problem with hand baggage getting damaged. But mainly it is down to weight. If you can pack it in hand baggage I would do so,

Otherwise wetsuit, BC/Wing, fins and knives in the hold, everything else with me. - Phil.

Buy a first-class ticket and then I am sure that your carry-on won't be an issue

Buy a first-class ticket and then I am sure that your carry-on won't be an issue

Don't need business with BA - an ordinary ticket gives you the two pieces of hand baggage and one hold bag, - all you get extra for business or first is an extra hold baggage, the carry on allowance remains the same, I always travel on an ordinary ticket and never bother with business class, with the 25-30 flights I make each year it saves a packet. Phil.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom