How to reduce a monstrous SAC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A 240 lb athlete has more muscle and a higher (resting) metabolic demand than a 132 lb women with a fat butt and chubby cheeks. Sorry to break it to you.....

My advice: Don't worry about it it too much. Try to make a SMALL change in your breathing pattern and concentrate on a slightly more complete exhalation than feels natural for the exertion level. This is a more efficient way to remove CO2. And of course try to not exert yourself.

A competitive swimmer has a huge capacity to blow through air. That is what makes you competitive in an aerobic sport. 0.75 cu-ft/min is not that huge of a rate.

Go diving, breath slow and deep, carry a big tank, have fun, stay warm and move slowly if you want the tank to last.

Thats the truth ...

You are already fit, comfortable in the water, not a lot you can do. Keep diving, but it may not change a lot.
I have a lot more dives than you and my SAC is probably a lot worse than yours (I have never measured it).
My solution is to carry more gas, or to do a shorter dive.

First off, 0.74 cf/min is not a monstrous SAC rate ... it's a bit high for the average person, but not too bad for a person your size. There are several things you can do to try reducing it ... but as Quero pointed out, which one might be effective for you depends on factors that can't really be determined without actually diving with you.

Some broad suggestions would be ...

- Dive more ... as you get more experience you not only gain more comfort, but you learn to move through the water more efficiently.
- Pay attention to your trim ... swimming horizontally reduces the amount of water you have to push aside to move in that direction. Less work means less CO2 production ... which effectively reduces your need to breathe as much.
- Watch your speed ... the faster you go, the more air you need.
- As much as possible, maintain neutral buoyancy ... hover more, hoover less.

You mentioned that you might be swimming out of trim ... besides the fact that diving out of trim means you have to push more water out of your way as you swim, it also requires you to maintain a slightly negative buoyancy ... because when you're out of trim each kick is sending you slightly upward. As a result, your actual progress through the water looks more like a sawtooth than a straight line. This has a significant impact on air consumption. I'd say that's the first thing you should pay attention to ... get your trim under control and then take another baseline measurement.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

In addition to checking out trim and swimming technique; are you able to stop and hold position easily? It's fairly common for people to have a passable swimming technique and trim, but when they need to stop to look at something (say, on a wall or bottom) things start to fall apart. Being able to just hang in the water completely relaxed also usually leads to dives where you pay a lot more attention to stuff around you instead of constant swimming and covering lots of ground looking for things to see. As said, 21 LPM isn't that bad, not monstrous by any means. In my experience the drop from a beginner's 30-40LPM range to around 20LPM happens quite quickly for most divers, after that it's down to fine tuning.

I have a pretty high SAC, mainly because of my size I suppose (I'm 6'-4" and I weigh 230lbs). But there are two things that helped me:
- Proper weighting. I noticed a clear reduction in air use when I reduced the weight I was carrying.
- Warmth. I used to dive in Cozumel in a thermal skin. I didn't feel particularly cold, but when I switched to a wet suit my air consumption decreased.

I still hoover though. As others have said, when you're bigger than average you are going to use more air.

Your sac rate is what it is. Don't worry about it

Optimizing the dive time for a given size of tank is mostly about efficiency.

Efficiency begins with an efficient breathing pattern. On land, where the gas supply is infinite, we don't have to worry about this at all, but underwater, things are different. The mouth and pharynx, and trachea and major bronchi, do not participate in gas exchange in the body at all, but we have to fill them and empty them with each breath. The volume used to do this is "wasted", but unavoidable. Therefore, the fewer breaths you need to take in a minute, the fewer times you "waste" that volume -- but since the amount of breath you need to keep your CO2 level normal is fixed, if you take fewer breaths, they have to be deeper ones. So one would think that taking the deepest breaths possible would be the ideal solution . . . but in fact, doing that, especially if you are a larger-framed person, results in a lot of instability in the water column, which can negate the benefit, because you're filling and emptying your BC all the time instead. There is a certain volume/rate relationship that optimizes gas usage efficiency, and we find that by experience.

Beyond that, reducing gas demand is about reducing CO2 production. CO2 production is related to activity level, so the harder you swim, the more you have to breathe. Since the force required to move against water resistance is proportional to the square of the velocity of the object, the work you are doing to swim goes up very fast as you move faster. (Note that streamlining your body and your gear will help with this, but only in direct proportion, rather than geometric.) When you are getting down to the fine-tuning stage, you really want to reduce ALL extraneous motion, and reduce drag as much as possible. Cave divers are sort of the ultimate expression of this, as we are always trying to figure out how to get more of a dive off a given volume of gas. Therefore, you will notice that cave divers streamline their equipment, dive in absolute horizontal trim, do not use their hands, and use a kicking technique that involves a long glide phase, where you are doing very little work. Adopting as many of these ideas as you can will help reduce your gas consumption.

With all that said, there are two important things left: One is that making artificial alterations in your breathing pattern to try to conserve gas can result in CO2 retention, and this is quite undesirable or even dangerous. CO2 is narcotic and makes you stupid, and in addition, in most people, it also increases anxiety and can predispose to panic. So the second thing is that there is a level below which you cannot reduce your gas consumption without suffering elevated CO2, and once you have reached that point, you have done everything you can. My favorite dive buddy is a 6 foot man without an ounce of fat on him, whose trim is textbook and whose imperturbability in the water is amazing. His SAC rate is about .7, and it is what it is. He turns the dives, and we both accept that.

I have 2 odd suggestions;
1) Have a friend video you underwater if possible. A self examination of the video might reveal issues such as excess movement, poor trim, etc... that others have mentioned.
(Warning: I did this once when I thought I was doing pretty well, then realized I was not so great, it can be humbling)

2) Consider some basic yoga / meditation practice. Its real easy to get excited about a dive (not worried or scared, just anticipation) and chug down a lot of gas. Learning to chill out on demand helps.

Lastly, as other have said, .75 is not unreasonable for a big guy. Its the number I use for planning rock bottom time.

Lastly, as other have said, .75 is not unreasonable for a big guy. Its the number I use for planning rock bottom time.
If you buddy dive and your buddy has an unstressed SAC of 0.75 cuft/min (like the OP), then it would be easy to argue that your current rock bottom calculations aren't conservative enough.

Back
Top Bottom