How to remove rust im 1st stage regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Old on the left I think. I usually toss the old one in to the cleaning solution and clean it and toss them in a bag, someday I may need it when a new one isn’t available, I only do this for my own stuff.

I see Ill ask the dive shop where I bought it and get it serviced again. Ironically beforenI got this serviced the filter looks fine. After service and a few dives I got this rust.

Does it affect my air? Coz I have upcoming dive in the next two days.

This is my original filter. View attachment 498566
i find it hard to believe that any reg looks like that after only a few dives post service unless it was never rinsed and while it was a few dives it's been a long time. That snap ring to rust like that , and the Verdigris on the reg in general takes time to develop, even when trying (which I do when we test regs)

I got two of my sr2 serviced. Mine and my wife's. Thus the two filter. Weird i dontI see any corrosion on the old parts. How could this be?

This picture is of the old filter? How come two of them?

FYI Filters are replaced never cleaned and/or reused.

i find it hard to believe that any reg looks like that after only a few dives post service unless it was never rinsed and while it was a few dives it's been a long time. That snap ring to rust like that , and the Verdigris on the reg in general takes time to develop, even when trying (which I do when we test regs)
Having not been there for the storage procedures, they are in the Philippines so storing them wet with salt water in a no air circulation moist environment can do weird things to chrome plated brass...

I got two of my sr2 serviced. Mine and my wife's. Thus the two filter. Weird i dontI see any corrosion on the old parts. How could this be?
the retainer they used may be generic and not an manuf part and not made from stainless steel. Or the manuf got a bad batch..

either way, a service done right, given your pictures, is exceptionally unlikely

This picture is of the old filter? How come two of them?

FYI Filters are replaced never cleaned and/or reused.
Yes, the filters should not be reused. But you can always find someone that will tell you otherwise if you look hard enough.
upload_2019-1-24_12-53-24.png

the retainer they used may be generic and not an manuf part and not made from stainless steel. Or the manuf got a bad batch..

either way, a service done right, given your pictures, is exceptionally unlikely
The filter clip is NOT included in the Sherwood service kit, it gets reused. So no way to say how old a rusty one is after an overhaul, and if it does get replaced what are the chances that someone actually ordered a single replacement part from Sherwood versus using something that was already laying around.

The filter clip is NOT included in the Sherwood service kit, it gets reused. So no way to say how old a rusty one is after an overhaul, and if it does get replaced what are the chances that someone actually ordered a single replacement part from Sherwood versus using something that was already laying around.

It could be that rust was on the clip, but not from the clip. I've rust stains on equipment, scuba and non, that migrated from rusting metal onto the gear. It was cleaned and the equipment showed no damage or rust of its own.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom