Humbolt Squid -LA Times

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've actually been giving some thought to these critters when doing my deep (180-200 ft) dives. Hopefully they stay much deeper than that during the day (say 400-600 ft) as I have no desire to face them off with my cutting shears (much as I love calimari)!

drbill:
I've actually been giving some thought to these critters when doing my deep (180-200 ft) dives. Hopefully they stay much deeper than that during the day (say 400-600 ft) as I have no desire to face them off with my cutting shears (much as I love calimari)!

This probably won't be very comforting...but Scott C. talked about finding 4' and 5' squid hunting in as little as 6' of water during the day.

Surly:
This probably won't be very comforting...but Scott C. talked about finding 4' and 5' squid hunting in as little as 6' of water during the day.

Great...Jaws freaked me out as a kid, and now I have to worry about Beaks...

Humbolts are staying longer here, Check out this report from last week off LaJolla west of the canyons
http://www.sandiegofishing.com/buddydb/showthread.php?t=35730

So if the squid stay longer perhaps the squid loving yellows will multiply check out this lovely home guard caught right off Scripps Pier .. read the story it is fantastic

http://www.sdfish.com/forums/dcboar...orum=124&topic_id=19022&mesg_id=19022&page=35

just a thought yellow and dorado consume squid like they were candy. If they stay here in the open ocean perhaps they will bring the game fish with them ...

Mind you this years winter yellow tail reports off of La Jolla and the Kelps south of LJ was completely off the hook ...just another thought!

hey CompuDude, how would one be suitably prepared for a group of giant attacking squid? 20 gauge powerheads come to mind, lol. Anybody remember that made for TV movie about the squid that could sink a fishing boat? I think the first time a see a squid in the water larger than me, well, let's just say pee'ing in my wetsuit would no longer be the least sanitary thing I've done while diving.

Surly:

Yikes!

I've heard reports that they did not seem to be aggressive towards divers unless fishing activity was going on in the vicinity. I hope that's true.

Jesster:
hey CompuDude, how would one be suitably prepared for a group of giant attacking squid? 20 gauge powerheads come to mind, lol. Anybody remember that made for TV movie about the squid that could sink a fishing boat? I think the first time a see a squid in the water larger than me, well, let's just say pee'ing in my wetsuit would no longer be the least sanitary thing I've done while diving.
Plate mail. No joke. And a steel cable connecting you to the boat. And at least a couple other divers with you... they get a lot more cautious about attacking groups. That's how Scott Cassell runs his encounters. A steel cable, connected solidly to you and your gear, lowers you down (so you can't be pulled down to the depths), and you wear chain mail with armor plates over it. Woohoo!

I *definitely* would not want to meet them in normal open water gear, alone, or even with only one buddy. Could possibly handle one squid attacking, with a smidgen of luck. But more than one (which is the norm) and you'd be in trouble.

drbill:
Yikes!

I've heard reports that they did not seem to be aggressive towards divers unless fishing activity was going on in the vicinity. I hope that's true.

You and every other diver in California! :sharkattack:

CompuDude:
A steel cable, connected solidly to you and your gear, lowers you down (so you can't be pulled down to the depths), and you wear chain mail with armor plates over it. Woohoo

Thats nut's, but I'd do it...lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom