Humbolt Squid -LA Times

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The whole thing has the character of the teaser of a bad Sci Fi movie. "Attack of the Squid". Diver on a reef. Ominous Music. Tentacles around neck. Diver pulled down.

I see Martin Landau as Bela Lugosi flopping around with the rubber octopus in "Ed Wood".

Like this?

F5715-004.jpg

How about these for protection?

aps.jpg

APS underwater assault rifle.

Dave

Or like this:
DSCN1170.JPG

Teamcasa:
How about these for protection?

aps.jpg

APS underwater assault rifle.

Dave
Effective range of nearly any underwater gun is ~10 ft, and these suckers move so fast you'll have a really hard time hitting them... and when hunting in groups, they WILL feint to the front while others attack from the rear. Smart animals.

Best protection is the armor + cable rig, if you're purposely going into a group. Their beaks are vicious against rubber suits and skin, but are completely useless against the fiberglass armor panels and chainmail. Their swimming skills are stunning, but again, they're not strong enough to overcome a braided steel cable. You'll be taking hits like a linebacker, though, and grateful for that armor!

Dude - you really did not think I was serious did you?

I also like the beer idea as well!

Dave

Those are squid eyes being held up, beer by Bob Cranston, photo by Norbert Wu.

drbill:
Yikes!

I've heard reports that they did not seem to be aggressive towards divers unless fishing activity was going on in the vicinity. I hope that's true.

Or unless you're there to specifically gin up their aggressive behavior so you can sell your tours and videos and t-shirts and crap.

OY. :rolleyes:

LAJim:
The whole thing has the character of the teaser of a bad Sci Fi movie. "Attack of the Squid". Diver on a reef. Ominous Music. Tentacles around neck. Diver pulled down.

I see Martin Landau as Bela Lugosi flopping around with the rubber octopus in "Ed Wood".

As long as people want to see this nonsense, people will continue to go down to Baja in their custom made underwater armor to go tape these things attacking each other.

Science, Jim - not Sci Fi.

Its Science. Just ask these goobers.

---
Ken

Back
Top Bottom