Hydro prices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

About $45/tank, with or without fill depending on who is doing what. If it is another 46 for the fill..OK, $51 easily.

Now here's the rip-off: Every dive shop will tell you that you need a hydro AND a VIP, right? Wrong. A DOT-certified hydro test cannot be performed until AFTER the technician does a VIP of the tank.

So that VIP of a freshly hydro'd tank? Is a totally redundant rip-off. When the shop tells you "Well yeah but they don't know how to do a SCUBA VIP" ask them if they're saying the hydro shop is incompetent, and in that case, why they still use them.

And yes, actually the DOT has said they are open to public requests for revising their regulations on SCUBA tanks which are (paraphrasing) gee, somewhat arcane and dated by now. Which is not to say VIPs in SCUBA shops don't differ radically, depending on who is doing them too.
Need to do visual after hydro. May have water or anything else can be in it. Many times we get tanks back from hydro with water in it. Have found anything from bugs to a dead lizard and a mouse in tanks. Still want to cheap out on a visual that cost $15. And includes a fill?

$65 (tax included) for hydro (shipped out), vis and fill (air), any size tank.

sucks for a 19......

Need to do visual after hydro. May have water or anything else can be in it. Many times we get tanks back from hydro with water in it. Have found anything from bugs to a dead lizard and a mouse in tanks. Still want to cheap out on a visual that cost $15. And includes a fill?

Sounds like you need to find a reputable hydro shop. Over decades and several shops in different areas, my big complaint is the ones that don't do + hydros even when they have the ree. One of them put on their own VIP stickers, after a while they started charging an additional $15 for the sticker.

Bob

Someone once brought a steel tank into our shop because they had had it hydroed someplace and returned directly to them, not going through a shop. They brought it into our shop for a visual inspection, and I got the job of doing it. The inside was absolutely caked with rust.

Update I just got a quote for 100 per hydro,then they told me 150 per tank for hydro and vis,I told them I was good,then I asked how much a al 80 cost-190.00 dollars.
I called another shop near me they were a bargain at 65 per tank,think I will go with them even though they put the wrong valve back on my tank last time.

The $100 seems high to me, but I don't know your market.
$65 doesn't sound horrible if that is everything included.
I charge $25 for hydro, $11 for visual, and the fill varies by the tank and contents.

Update I just got a quote for 100 per hydro,then they told me 150 per tank for hydro and vis,I told them I was good,then I asked how much a al 80 cost-190.00 dollars.
I called another shop near me they were a bargain at 65 per tank,think I will go with them even though they put the wrong valve back on my tank last time.

The going rate here in MD is anywhere from $20-$35 just for hydro. At the end of the day between VIP, fill and hydro the last shop I went to was $53 for one tank... another was $64 because they figured they would do me a favor and rebuild the valve why they were in there, lol..

Going rate is about $50 in the Chicago area. Some shops include a fill and others don’t.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom