I am setting up my BP/W harness today: A few questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bamabowtie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
1. My harness came with 4 peices of inner tubing type material. Where do these go and what is their purpose?

2. My buckle has 3 slots for the webbing. Are you supposed to run the webbing through all 3 or just 2? (Is the webbing supposed to come out of the buckle to your right or left on a left hand release buckle?)

Thanks!

1. My harness came with 4 peices of inner tubing type material. Where do these go and what is their purpose?
One piece of tubing goes on the harness (shoulder strap part) above the left chest D-ring. You can slide the wing inflater hose underneath it to keep the corrugated hose + power inflater assembly close to the harness webbing. Some people position a length of tubing over the corrugated hose and slide the power inflater hose underneath it -- to keep the power inflater hose "attached" to the corrugated hose.

The other pieces of tubing can go on the shoulder straps beneath both D-rings. These are looped around the neck of backup lights which are clipped to the chest D-rings and pointing downward. They keep the backup lights from flopping around.
2. My buckle has 3 slots for the webbing. Are you supposed to run the webbing through all 3 or just 2? (Is the webbing supposed to come out of the buckle to your right or left on a left hand release buckle?)
This Divegearexpress.com webpage explains how to thread a 3-slot buckle properly. The leftover ends up threading back on itself.

There's nothing special about the tubing that's included with the harness kit. You can go down to a bike shop and ask for a used innertube of appropriate size or buy a new one. A new tube will provide more than you could ever possibly use. The tube I use is a standard tube 25 x 1.75-2.125 (ISO size 559mm) and it fits nicely over 2-inch harness webbing. I recommend threading a few extra lengths of tubing on the harness straps in case the ones you're using break. They will break, BTW. Having extras already on the harness saves you from having to disassemble the harness to add the tubing.

Hope this helps...

Inner tube is for back-up lights or possibly the inflator hose.
There are are several different types of buckles....with different threading.

Usually the piece to hold the inflator looks more like a large "O Ring". We use the four inner tube pcs as backup light holders. Two on each side, below the "D Rings". Use one at at a time. The second is a spare.

I cant find a good picture of how the buckle threads, but yes, you use all three slots.
Webbing goes over the "back" tab, under the middle, over the front, and then behind and out though the back slot again. nice and clean.

The pictures here are a bit tough to see, but it may help.
http://www.gue.com/?q=en/Equipment/Config/index.html

Thanks a million guys! Got it set up and it is sweeet

A new tube will provide more than you could ever possibly use.

I've gone through two . . . :)

I had trouble with tube tearing. Probably needed bigger tube. I replaced it with shock cord and I like that better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom