I.D. Your Fossils

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yeah its definitely part of the tooth... I find horse and camel teeth over that way all the time that have that Brown stuff on them... on my teeth it looks like a coating of some type... If it is matrix then itll come out when you clean it... Very Very Verrrryyyy nice find though.... sometimes i fell if you don't know what your looking for ya just won't find it... People always ask how'ed ya find that? I just tell em' that was what i was lookin' for.... LOL... Thanks for sharing... I found something recently That I could use some help I.D ing... I know It's part of a Turtle. But which parts???? the last pic is of verts.... left to right i think it's snake, bird, fish, shark...???? idk... any help is much appreciated....Thanks...

++"OK I think the pics won't upload soooo... I'll try again later tonight...."++

Last edited:
Cant seem to get the pictures to upload as well. YOu can always send me a text with the picture or email them to me. My email is not working but if you make it so I can open it on my phone I might be able to look at it for you. 941-628-3309

Make sure you start to soak that tooth in fresh water every day for a good month. Change water daily. If you forget a couple of days its ok but keep it in fresh water. The water will fresh water will push out the salt water from the grooves of the teeth. If you dont soak the tooth in a year or so it will start to crack and fall apart. When this happens its to late to try to save your tooth. I learned this the hard way. A soak a day will keep the tooth to stay!!!! ~~~Babe~~~

Go to my facebook page and look at all the mammoth teeth I have as well you will see they look the same. Let me know if you have any problems and give me a text.

Should we soak all fossils (meg teeth, bones, etc.) in fresh water for that long? Thanks for the info!

Normal you dont have to soak shark teeth in fresh water. Just fossils like mammoth teeth, whale verts, anything that is very porous.

Perfect example of Ivory. Notice the checkered cross section, any Tusk on cross section will have this checkered xxx like appearance. If it dont... its probably not tusk. Mammoth or Mastodon for sure though. Unknown which species. Nice Chunk, dry it slowly and I use a mixture of elmers glue and water to resoak and coat it. Actone will force the water out and then the Glue solution will penetrate and lock it up, also you can use a ducco solution too. Gator teeth, large anything, some no so old bones will flake apart... and for heavens sake if you find a bone pin and remove it, take the effort to conserve it. Its illegal in Florida and Georgia but at least conserve it, otherwise its a high possibility it will just fall apart after it dries out. You can usually tell if things are heavily mineralized and dont need any solution.

19872969.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom