I feel like a traitor... I just booked Bonaire.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parrotheaddiver:
check out this forum Bonaire Talk - The place to discuss everything and anything about Bonaire!

Yeah, it's good but nothing like SB :heart:... but good for Bon stuff.

budaman, the fare does suck on a normal basis. We actually almost bit last year when we saw it dip get to $499 pp but still, for 3 seats alone, it was nearly as much as the 3 going to Coz for a week all in. On that note, I noticed that Bonaire was recently rated most affordable in Scuba Diving Mags Top 100 issue. It made me laugh and wonder where they were flying from to get that impression.... Aruba? I normally book 4-8 weeks out getting what seems to be good deals on airfare plus I cannot stand the wait if I book more in advance.

Bob : its not April..its May 31..:)

It's not for me Emilio, I was telling a friend that I could do much better going direct than thru Expedia and she asked me to look for her a ticket. Now..back to the thread :D

On that note, I noticed that Bonaire was recently rated most affordable in Scuba Diving Mags Top 100 issue.

Possibly they are totaling all the costs and then averaging by the number of dives possible? With affordable unlimited shore dive packages, and the extreme easy of accessing so many great sites on Bonaire, it easily possible to have back to back to back 5 or 6 tank days for as many days as you wish! Can bring down the average cost of a one tank dive considerably.!!!
Have dived Coz., Cancun, Turks and Caicos, Puerto Rico and Belize in recent years, but this coming week will be my 5th trip to Bonaire in as many years! Just put money into property there for when I am ready to retire, we like Bonaire so much.
Yes, it is harder to get there, and more costly, but that helps keep it from getting TOO popular.

That's funny. I'm leaving for Grand Cayman in just over a week for a wedding and I was feeling like a traitor too! It's ok though because Cozumel will still be there in the latter half of the Summer when we plan to make our next trip.

Even with leaving for GC soon, I still keep reading the Cozumel forum because that's where I wish I was going.

It is funny... how you get that feeling like you are cheating.

But we also just made plans to go diving in Roatan over Spring Break. We were going to have our son with us for his first ocean dives and thought that the accessibility of the diving there would make for a better experience. We had also considered Bonaire but decided to make that trip later.

Driftin'....

Who knows you might say to yourself...OMG why didn't I do this years ago! In response to the "airfare" thing...I think you are going to start to see a lot of great "last minute" fares, where ever you go. I think it is the sign of the times and we will see a lot of last minute bookings. It is already starting on Bonaire.

Try and stop by and see the ScubaBoard Board while you are on Bonaire.....

Liz

dvrliz1:
Try and stop by and see the ScubaBoard Board while you are on Bonaire.....
Uh, what's that?!?!?

MMM:
To each his own. It' not as though it's a cult where you have to drink the Kool-Aid or anything....
Uh, what? Not that it's a cult or anyone is drinking any kool-aid... It's just that when you come to fall in love with a place like a person the thought of trying or sampling another place or person kinda feels like cheating or being a traitor. YMMV. Hopefully you or no one else is interpreting this thread as a bash on Coz... That wasn't my intention. Instead I was expressing my feelings of shame as I found my self reading the Coz forum and feeling distant from all my fellow Coz fans.

gypsyjim:
Yes, it is harder to get there, and more costly, but that helps keep it from getting TOO popular.
We can only hope, huh?

gypsyjim:
Possibly they are totaling all the costs and then averaging by the number of dives possible?
It's gotta be because on a cost per day basis, Coz wins hands down. I know it's been mentioned before about the cost per tank in Coz by some Coz forum regulars. The most dives I've ever managed in Coz for a 7-night stay has been 12. I hoping to double that for 7 nights in Bonaire therefore already cutting my cost per tank in half and then some since I'll be diving Nx there.

Bonaire is a great destination. I stayed at the Divi and rented a truck with friends for shore diving. Had a great time. We did the AI, the food was the best I have had at an AI. Not sure if that is typical of resorts in Bonaire. We also did some boat diving which was worth the extra cost. There is a great very popular wreck dive that can be done from a boat or the shore, can't remember the name but it was a great night dive, ask and I am sure someone will send you in that direction. Wear hard soled booties if you shore dive there are lots of shells and rocks. If you rent a truck to dive, do not leave anything in it. Theives were a problem when I was there last. They would steal things out of trucks while people were diving. It was a very common problem, I hope it has gotten better.
Enjoy your trip!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom