I finally bought a house in Cave Country! W00T!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll know later today when I venture back. Do you have power???

No power at the house and the power pole that feeds my block is snapped in half. I expect to be out a week, but that's kind of normal.

Power in my office is great, I'm at work today doing a quick assessment of the situation so I can send out an update to the faculty in my college.

My neighbor sent me some pictures... I still have an intact home. Not sure about the power yet.

Glad to hear your new place weathered the storm.

I'm here at the "Silt Out", so named after one poopy kitty. She's being kept in the bathroom with limited people breaks until she can control her urges. Yuck. I'm glad Ma~ has her act together! :D :D :D

I left at 10:30 am after my neighbor sent me pictures of an intact home and tales that he had power. Kewl. Traffic was quite heavy but tolerable. The kitties did a lot better on the way down than the way up. We hadS a few Waze detours coming south. It pulled me off I-75 twice with the last detour taking me all the way to Madison, back a bit on I-10 and finally south through Live Oak. I got here about six hours and used a lot less gas on the way back. It only cost me like $22 to get up there, and $17.25 to get back. I love my Kia Niro. Silt finally couldn't hold it anymore and gassed Ma~ and me out. She's been in her carrier almost 6 hours, so we're going to cut her some slack. Good job, little kitten!

When I finally drove down the drive to the house @4:17, my first thought was WOW. The damage I saw was mostly minimal, and my home has no obvious damage: not even a shingle gone. My work shop will need to be re-roofed, but that was in the works before this. Now it will be sooner rather than later. There's a few small branches and twigs all over, but nothing that bad. On entering my home, I found that I had no power. The freezer still had ice and I immediately put in a call to the Suwanee Electric Coop and was told it might be fixed by Friday. As I hung up I thought I could hear her exclaim "Don't forget the first rule of Scuba!" Ie: don't hold your breath. So, I went into Branford and ate at The Gathering. YUM: Roast beef on perfectly cooked rice with green beans on the side. It was going to be a hot night.

Back home, with the sun starting to get a bit low, I decided to launch the drone, see what damage was done to the roof. I was going to put a fiberglass roof over the tin, and I'm still thinking that's the way to go. Straighten the tin a bit and go right over that. I also took an aerial view of the home and was happy to see my first prognosis was correct. Kewl. Then I flew around the power pole. My neighbor said he might have heard a transformer pop my way, so I followed the lines to the road. Yep, there was a big limb lying on the line. I snapped pictures and just as I was putting the drone away I heard someone calling for me. Crap! Did I piss off the neighbor flying over their property? No. It was a neighbor I hadn't met yet... and he works for the POWER COMPANY!!! Woot! They saw the same limb and told me they should have me up. Yay! First rule of Scuba be damned! Twenty minutes later, the lights came on. More importantly, the AC came on. Ten seconds later I'm in total black again. NOOOOO!!!! My new neighbor calls and asks if the power was on. I tell him it was a glorious 10 seconds and we both had a good laugh. Said he would call me back. He did and he told me that they took the local grid down just as he powered me up. Dayum. No worries, it should be on in 20. No breath holding, but he was a man of his word and I now have everything but internet. Fortunately, my phone does OK as a hotspot. :D :D :D

Glad to hear you and the cats made it and with power now.

No power for me until Sunday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom