I finally bought a house in Cave Country! W00T!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Work has started on the shed...

UbfRb6iet1cnOqiVXJt3xGfCj6FJzLO09NxcIXlyyXMHZsvOCZ1qCcR6k0qmPzwxLEUiWegyYLcLfYVdHI=w1224-h918-no.jpg

ewHSefYx1zjm2S0xoxshb0RPWsIdf2oLHAJ1MJelOF0Tyf8wrJR1eLy7DgkmRC1hQw7JsHPYO8h_sqaQ64=w1224-h918-no.jpg

What it looked like before:

AHyHO0B99aaBslw48QjuJq5so2kXhJYIlipq1XhNUVco4mWrYYWespBqfqz5xmn4Vzntgg1leZNDCU650s=w1224-h918-no.jpg

Also, I want to plant a few more cedars on the north border. I have some coming from an online source, but as I was moving the stuff over to the shed, I spied this behind the work shop. Is it a cedar?

erOl-ATWZIs1TZrujBrk-DzSXC0f2EgEu00dTbqMXZ2FJfJV4H-EJOXS7sNfKH0oNm5SEK5vzjStdMrDm_o=w689-h918-no.jpg

I live in North Florida. I don't think the shop will ever get heat and I took the time to install a rather largish fan for cooling. I'm expecting to leave the big doors open most of the time while I'm in there unless there is rain or it's stupid cold. If I remember correctly, most of the winter up here is in the 50s and 60s, with lots of 70s and just a few 40s. I bought a flannel shirt to wear in the shop to keep any chill off. So far, I've worn it once.

I grew up in the Tallahassee area and lived most of my life there. Last winter was pretty mild. But, historically, it has been pretty normal to have nights that get down into the 'teens at least a couple of times each winter. My Dad said even last winter it go down into the 20s at least a couple of times.

I remember camping over towards Live Oak when I was a Boy Scout and waking up with ice coating the whole inside of my tent and even on the zipper of the hood of the coat I was wearing in my sleeping bag.

Pete, I think your "memory" of winter temps is a memory of the daily highs, not the lows. I've got a dollar that says you'll at least have a space heater (probably kerosene powered) in that shop within 3 winters... :)

I've got a dollar that says you'll at least have a space heater (probably kerosene powered) in that shop within 3 winters...
I'll need more than a dollar to buy a kerosene heater, though! :D :D :D RedStone 23,500 BTU Convection Kerosene Heater at Tractor Supply Co.

I don't know that I'll try to work out there when it's cold. It's time to go diving instead. I won't be working out there when it's too hot, either. It's not a job but a hobby.

I'll need more than a dollar to buy a kerosene heater, though! :D :D :D RedStone 23,500 BTU Convection Kerosene Heater at Tractor Supply Co.

I don't know that I'll try to work out there when it's cold. It's time to go diving instead. I won't be working out there when it's too hot, either. It's not a job but a hobby.
If heating a workshop, you are better having a blown heater to generate circulation. Nothing worse than having the heat all rise up and have your feet cold.

Makes sense... again, it's not on my "to-do" list. Of course, it will get down to 32 on Saturday, so it might become more of a thing.

So far, I've braved the 'harsh' winter with no problems. It got down to 28 the other day and my butt hasn't frozen yet. In fact, I love the chill. I have redoubled my efforts on de-fencing the inside of my almost 11 acres. I believe I have removed about 300 yards of fencing and posts so far. I still have a lot more to remove, but here are the pics:

A-FT84QXASk8f4usHlSxDtgFS5RYMjUi5zLTbZnDbnDgq4vq11TTK-ourOqILAHW1MW1a-VlgAoXzOMh3ds=w689-h918-no.jpg

I attached a loop of chain to the post with a 3/8"x4" lag screw.

kkf2aT3K3pHQNzLuZ_TvA-R2v97hdB-kv-gSImurVgk43YEWjmJg-NHXhjG2qXKHz37XmQJNsdyrFRNI_CQ=w689-h918-no.jpg

The Farm Jack is awesome! Far lighter than the engine hoist and worked just as well.​

dKSvsnec8p2fJOHKSdnZIsiQBwGO4WizzFOpU_fFha7KHYTvpEfq0mAxzP79aGuu9cP1PN_zvs6iZmhf8M=w1224-h918-no.jpg

One of four fence rolls and dozens of poles removed from the lawn.​

tlV_W4Y5L7v-zDahP6Mkl8qPhZ8lXBpy2RKelVA26K2al6j7ReWZRxGLIGmGKb0wGxEn8VsqFFo7Ft4wqQ=w1224-h918-no.jpg

The zero turn pulls this little cart easily. The fence rolls had to be weighed down with a concrete brick to stay put.

Ga6rZbKpSKMJP-usS_vqxZjgCCzOyDOM3LJfuG0H3VBXtZaBKnQyk_vXZCyx6MGiIekRP0JuLp2Fm7I8gw=w1224-h918-no.jpg

A selfie! Woot!

r5dgwpMSjB3tycd36RQZuPxKoGthPXmqygxpYEPBrBkoNw1VrawEW7En0SijEyYRHCLSu7GJ-vEt8Nr-NA=w1224-h918-no.jpg

This is the "Before" picture taken last summer as I started this project. All those posts and that dead tree are finally gone.​

uqNn3ZWXrprqxnQXu6POmr2cdX7QYGdb4yvFSzgfU4xGGukdTiAu-GJTbAVe8J4gQ0n3sME5Rx8pIyZlO8=w1224-h918-no.jpg

The "After" picture. All the poles have been picked up, the fencing put in the back and I'll be seeding it in the Spring.​

bFSqrWmzMQMSIwhIFLGb8mmUl7DubXzfiyPIyVvmHSl-d3MFDFHc6Nh6vXciWcsL8xTLnK5GBdBWUyc-ak=w1224-h918-no.jpg

Too much for the little cart, I used the trailer pulled by the Kia to haul the posts and other wood trash. This was one of three loads. Most of the posts were trash, but I did keep the good ones to repair the corral.​

sD_IfWrdCE4FDv2iidNSoGSKhmYR7hIOcMGMKfMqqL7U88z0WWmelk1qGqJZy1FbuVQGaoz1RO99RCJQ1w=w1224-h918-no.jpg

About %20 of the posts are reusable and will be used later. Does anyone have a post hole digger?​

1pS2i4d_40Om9aoVPvQ7aZD60fRoPjUAm1LMMaVB1-vMLxde4fG4k76x0su5VXk5Vqz9hU7bMTr5_8-E8g=w1224-h918-no.jpg

This is Ma~'s outside throne.​

DG80gVjVrJ6kfHp7513lLB56pi8D-YTkMe17hpd_xPe9WmjkGxI0SULqBfwsd6udxZxnf5VBsW9LCbpNfeU=w689-h918-no.jpg

Ma~ always leads on our 1/4 mile walk to the mailbox. She sticks pretty close whenever I walk the property. She's almost like a dog in that respect, only much, much cooler. Just ask her! FWIW, the fence on the right will soon come down too.​

qa1kAzfsnzDtf_-H5STL93zgKLwmQkkaM5nxJoXTsiZ3AxDKXjZEgmnH2s3PsncM_nQdGLQfu137HjFgU9c=w835-h918-no.jpg

As we were approaching the mailbox, I noticed this cool looking porcelain bead on the ground. As I bent to pick it up, I realized it was a spider. The abdomen is about an inch and a quarter long and I'm glad I didn't touch the thing. It looks awesome! Look how long those front arms are. Wow!​

great having dinner with you last night! shame our timing hasn't worked out for me to head out to the farm yet, but I'll get out there soon! Looks amazing
Just think of all that fun you're missing! :D :D :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom