I finally bought a house in Cave Country! W00T!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pete,

excuse my unintelligence on the matter. What is a water tank and what is it’s purpose?

I am from New York and sorta live through this post of yours. It’s seems like a simpler time on your property unlike the crap hole I live in.

just don't add it to my honey do list for my next trip down @The Chairman !

@cruisekingkris they're used in some well designs to help maintain water pressure. Often the usage is not enough to cause the pump to be able to stay on, so these act like an accumulator tank and help to maintain water pressure which allows the pump to cycle appropriately. Basically the same concept as the air tank on a shop air compressor.

@cruisekingkris My pump turns on at 40psi and cuts out at 60psi. That's 2.6 bar and 4 bar for the metric peeps. As @tbone1004 pointed out, it acts as storage tank, so I can take long hot showers, but it also is a buffer, so that I don't feel the start and stop of the pump during normal usage. This one is OLD and when it's full, 4/5s of it is water and the top 1/5 is air. Today, they usually go a lot smaller with a bladder between the air and water. My well water is simply awesome with high amounts of Calcium carbonate and a tiny bit of fizz. It's more of a mineral water, than actual spring water. While the water table in this area is about 15 to 30 feet, the truly sweet water is deeper than that. Supposedly, my well goes down 80 feet. When the Suwannee river floods, houses about 3 miles closer to the river than me have to use bottled water due to river water intrusion. I'm good year round because of that depth. BTW, when you first pour a glass of water at my house, it looks a bit dingy. Then you notice it clears from the bottom up. What you're seeing is that bit of fizz I referred to earlier.

Recently Nestle petitioned Gilchrist Country to pump more water out of our aquifers. The county denied the permit and I'm quite happy with that. There's a lot of pressure on our aquifer system already and we're seeing some springs and shallow wells dry up as well as salt water intrusion further inland. In addition, the one use plastics used in this kind of bottling plant are killing our environment.

I have done a lot to my property to improve the looks. The south end looks more like a park nowadays than just a bunch of brush. Straightening the tank as well as upgrading the enclosure will go a long way to making it even nicer!

@tbone1004 interesting. Thanks for the information.

I understand anything can be googled but sometimes I appreciate human explanation in today’s world. Thanks.

this is the right place to come for human explanations on stuff. Generally far more interesting than google.

@The Chairman certainly has interesting water, most of it seems to be pineapple flavored as well :p

@The Chairman certainly has interesting water, most of it seems to be pineapple flavored as well :p
They've changed at the dollar store. I like the new Pineapple better, but my sister doesn't. This has a bit of tang to it... which means I'll mix it with a bit of rum for a tropical drink! Now that's a capital idea and will kill and Covid-19 lurking about the property! :D :D :D

BTW, if you look at the top of the tank, you'll see a plug that's at least a 1" TPT. I'm going to remove that, screw a "T" into the top and loop a strap through it to lift the tank easily with my tractor after I've emptied it. Once it's out of the way, I'll be able to really get the earth tamped down and that pad leveled.

This is amazing. Pineapple tasting tap water.

I have to ask, is there a break in period for a new person who is using/ drinking this water. Does it bother the innards or do you have to filter it before drinking.

This is amazing. Pineapple tasting tap water.

I have to ask, is there a break in period for a new person who is using/ drinking this water. Does it bother the innards or do you have to filter it before drinking.

the real tap water is perfectly fine and quite tasty. Pete has a thing for his pineapple flavoring so there is always a pair of jugs in the fridge. One cold, one chilling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom