I have a few questions about different certifications as well as different certification agencies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Sh0rtBus I don't have MSD and am a NAUI instructor... It's the list on FIT "or equivalent" so the CD can waive the requirement. Whether they will or not is up to the CD, but they can if they want to
But according to what I read on the NAUI site recently, they're now requiring both, with MSD being required to enter the Fit program.

Straight from their website for DM

Prerequisites for Entering the Course
  • Minimum age is 18 years by the water phase of the course.
  • Current registration as a NAUI FIT Program graduate.
  • Current certification in NAUI First Aid for Dive Professionals or equivalent.
  • Current certification in NAUI Oxygen Provider or equivalent.
  • A minimum of 60 logged open water scuba dives with a minimum of 30 hours bottom time. Dives shall be varied in environment, depth, and activities.
  • Medical Approval - Verification of good physical condition as documented by a medical examination and unconditional approval for diving by a licensed physician within the preceding 12 months.
  • Materials - Contact the NAUI Training Department for current requirements.

NAUI FIT
Get Started
Minimum age is 18 years for this program. Certification as a NAUI Scuba Diver, NAUI Rescue Scuba Diver, NAUI Nitrox Diver, NAUI Master Scuba Diver, NAUI First Aid for the Diving Professional, NAUI Oxygen Provider (or equivalent) are required.

As well as a minimum of 25 logged open water scuba dives with a minimum of 12.5 hours bottom time.

BUt according to what I read on the NAUI site recently, they're now requiring both.

what I was saying is that the course director can waive that in lieu of your experience. Whether they will or not is something you have to take up with them, but that's for you guys to figure it out

what I was saying is that the course director can waive that in lieu of your experience. Whether they will or not is something you have to take up with them, but that's for you guys to figure it out
Probably true, I wouldn't know. But my LDS recently switched to NASE so the NAUI course is irrelevant anyway. I do eventually want to become a NAUI DM, though since all of my other certs are NAUI.

Probably true, I wouldn't know. But my LDS recently switched to NASE so the NAUI course is irrelevant anyway. I do eventually want to become a NAUI DM, though since all of my other certs are NAUI.

just because? DM certs are pretty worthless IMO and rather expensive with a $100+/year renewal and insurance on top of that.

just because? DM certs are pretty worthless IMO and rather expensive with a $100+/year renewal and insurance on top of that.
Unless you're going to be an instructor, like the OP wants.

Unless you're going to be an instructor, like the OP wants.

I'm not entirely convinced DM is a worthwhile cert, but we'll leave that for another day. AI however is and I wish more people would stay at the AI level for longer and intern under different instructors to learn to teach before getting their instructor card, but that's a story for another day

I'm not entirely convinced DM is a worthwhile cert, but we'll leave that for another day. AI however is and I wish more people would stay at the AI level for longer and intern under different instructors to learn to teach before getting their instructor card, but that's a story for another day
My reasoning for wanting to DM is to help instruct newcomers and maybe make some extra spending money to help pay for dive trips, gear, etc. Don't know that I want to ever become a full fledged instructor, but it's possible. It's my understanding that at least with NAUI AI and DM are pretty interchangeable with DM being the "higher rank" of the two. Care to elaborate?

1. Master Diver is a ego certification that says you did a bunch of specialties and is basically a pat on the back. It's not an actual certification that has specific skills with it.
To through the spanner in the works, as it were.

The Scottish Sub-Aqua Club (SS-AC) has Master Diver as a 3 star CMAS equivalent.

My reasoning for wanting to DM is to help instruct newcomers and maybe make some extra spending money to help pay for dive trips, gear, etc. Don't know that I want to ever become a full fledged instructor, but it's possible. It's my understanding that at least with NAUI AI and DM are pretty interchangeable with DM being the "higher rank" of the two. Care to elaborate?
No one ever made a dime as a DM. Being a DM is a drain on the budget. Less of a drain than paying full boat, but nothing is free, and some folks expect you to work hard for whatever it is that you get.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom