I lost it :( now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have two logs that I keep. I carry my paper log book with me and enter my dives in that. Then when I have the time I go online to www.diverecord.com and update my log there. Someone on this board inadvertantly turned me onto this site. I cant remember who, I just clicked the link in one of their posts. Its free, and you can either print off your log before a trip, (in case your paper one gets lost) or you can set it up so that others (read dive operators) can look at it to verify experience. Though, as the others have stated, I have yet to come accross any op that actually wants to see my log book, I did need it on a trip to Cabo when I had forgotten my C-card. The operator looked at my log book simply to verify that I was certified and had some experience diving.

When I was a newly certified diver, and I wanted to dive deep, I showed some divemasters my log book to prove that I had been that deep before so they would let me dive.

As far as putting my logbook in my checked baggage, I have never nor would I ever do that for fear of losing it. And after reading this thread, I am going to scan all of the pages into a pdf file so if it is lost somewhere, I can at least have the information in the log books.

I do refer to the log books routinely for answers to questions on this board about where to stay, what temps to expect and what dive ops to use in certain locales.

I have two logs that I keep. I carry my paper log book with me and enter my dives in that. Then when I have the time I go online to www.diverecord.com and update my log there. Someone on this board inadvertantly turned me onto this site. I cant remember who, I just clicked the link in one of their posts. Its free, and you can either print off your log before a trip, (in case your paper one gets lost) or you can set it up so that others (read dive operators) can look at it to verify experience. Though, as the others have stated, I have yet to come accross any op that actually wants to see my log book, I did need it on a trip to Cabo when I had forgotten my C-card. The operator looked at my log book simply to verify that I was certified and had some experience diving.

Thanks...just went there and added info. Nice site! :LIFSAVR:

I also just started imputing my certs. Get Site

THANKS!

Most of the dive ops I've dived with just want to see the cards. The ones who have wanted to see the log book have only looked to see when I did the most recent dives. If you start logging again, it shouldn't take long before you have enough in a book to satisfy most dive ops who would even look at it.

Sorry, I just checked with the Scuba Police and they say you have to start over again.

Haven't kept a log book in a loooong time, never been asked to see one. Sometimes they ask for cards, to sign a statement of your dive history, etc. If your T-shirt and gear look pretty used, they often don't bother looking at your cards.

As for the original question, as has been said, starting from here should suffice. My first log only had room for up to dive 32 or so, so starting from 60-something on a new log is in no way unusual. If someone's looking at your logbook, they don't really care about what you've forgotten, just about what you've done lately.

As far as putting my logbook in my checked baggage, I have never nor would I ever do that for fear of losing it. And after reading this thread, I am going to scan all of the pages into a pdf file so if it is lost somewhere, I can at least have the information in the log books.
The thought of losing my logs fills me with dread. I think I'm going to have to pull out a camera and photograph every page to keep electronically. It's not that I'm afraid I won't be able to prove experience -- my log book is my memory (or at least, the index to my memory) of all the stories on all the dives I've done.

Scanners are cheap Clayjar.

If you're keeping a paper log book style, sooner or later you would fill a log and have to start a new one anyway. Obviously now is a good time. Just start with about what you think the next dive number should be and continue on.

I have yet to have anyone want a log, it's so easy to fake one it's pretty meaningless for "proof" of anything anyway. Your log is really for you, so it might be worth making an attempt to write down what you recall from your missing dives if you care. I sometimes look back at even my oldest log to remember stuff about my earliest dives.

If you have an idea where you left it, you could always shoot someone there an email, might get lucky.

I keep a paper log (for sketchs of sites and such) and an electronic one from the downloads of my computer (depth/temp profiles, air consumption, etc) and then add whatever notes from the paper log. I then print it out and put it in my large log that I also keep good photo shots in. I also post the PDFs on my website so if I were to lose the log I could just have them log on and look over my history.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom