I Love my new BP/Wings setup!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GearHead

Contributor
Reaction score
I wanted to thank everyone on the board who takes the time to regularly recommend the BP/Wings setup to recreational divers. I was in the market for a new BC a few months ago, and didn't even know what 'BP' or 'DIR' stood for when my research brought me to ScubaBoard. Well, after reading many posts, I decided that all these seemingly knowledgeable divers can't be wrong, and made the purchase of a complete Halcyon setup with BP, 36lb Pioneer wings, and ACB system (more about this later).

The purchase was made a couple of months ago, and unfortunately, it was just this weekend that I was finally able to test the new setup during a Rescue Diver class (my excuse: a pregnant wife and two softball teams).

In my Rescue class, the rest of the students gawked at my gear rather disdainfully all weekend, and I didn't want to sound like a salesman, so I just told them what they needed to know for the class as far as getting the rig off of me when I was playing the role of the victim. And although I did tell my buddy about the cutting the harness procedure, I warned him he'd have to cough up $15 for a new harness.

Anyway, review wise: out of the water, the rig felt snug, but comfortable and stable as hell during a long shore walk (lowest tides of the year). In the water, especially down at 40', it felt like I wasn't wearing anything on my back at all. It was as comfortable as I could have hoped, and I was really worried on Friday that I hadn't dialed in the harness just right (I think it's real close). Gliding around was seriously effortless.

Other than the harness getting stuck on my drysuit valve while taking the system off once or twice (I'm sure I'll get used to it), my only complaint is the ACB system, which Uncle Pug is so fond of. :wink:

I can see how it would have been more convenient to have the weights separate from the BP when lugging the rig around by hand, and probably more streamlined underwater as well (marginally), but until I get really annoyed with the ACB, I think I'll try to at least get my money's worth. If nothing else, the pouches have good handles for carrying the weights around.

I've also purchased and started reading Jablonski's DIR Fundamentals book, which is fascinating reading so far. It will take me a while before my gear is 100% DIR, but I think that's the direction I'm going in.

Thanks again to all the BP/Wings guys (UP, bengiddins, Windknot for steering me and others to a great system!

GearHead

P.S. And Uncle Pug, if you ever want a DIR newbie to tag along, I'd love to dive with you some time. Though I warn you, I won't have any formal wreck training until October.

Glad you finally got to dive it... and had such a positive first experience!

Getting in and out of a correctly set up harness is effortless after a little practice whether in the water or out... you will also learn to (automatically) rotate your arm at just the right moment to keep the valve from hanging up on the webbing.

What to dive??? Sure!

Once again I thought I had made my desicion, and now I am changing my mind......(I think)................I am thinking going to the wing/backplate system, I have a question regarding this...I use 30 lbs of lead.....I want to put some on the harness. (ie Weight integrated)...I understand the ACB system is the WI (correct?)...What are the issues with this system ?? Uncle Pug?? Any help with this one ....????

Thanks

Hi Butch,
I've been wearing 31 lbs with my 7 mil neoprene drysuit.
I've got a Fred T heavy plate(9lbs) & heavy STA(5lbs) ankle weights(3lbs) (I hope to lose the ankle weights as I get used to the suit). Using this with Fred T Harness and Dive-Rite Rec Wing
That leaves 14lbs to put on a belt or harness ( a lot easier than putting 30 lbs there :) ). I've got a DUI weight and trim system. Its a harness with quick release pockets. I like it a lot better than a belt, It's easily adjustable to help with trim.
The first time I used it, I put it on while carrying gear down to the shore. I was going back to help with my wifes gear when I realized I still had it on!! They used to be $250, now MSRP is $98, I got it for less.

Good luck with your decision.

BTW I checked your profile pic, You still don't look like a woman! :wink:

the rest of the students gawked at my gear rather disdainfully all weekend

I hear ya. I just finished up my DM course last night and during the whole course the others were like "what is that ", including the instructors/AI's. They wouldn't even listen to the reasoning behind the whole system. The best was when we were in the shop during a break in the class and one student was showing me what he just ordered: spare air and an octo+/duo-air. I regurgitated what I've learned on this board (thanks UP, LY, etc), but once again, they were not willing to listen to other viewpoints. Maybe they will learn in time before they or someone else gets hurt and only have to spend more money. But that's all we can do, inform them to the best of our ability and hope they see the light. Some do, some don't.

-Mike

They warned us about perceptual narrowing in panicked divers in open water, but I didn't think I'd see it on dry land! Many divers just don't want to hear about another way to do things, even if it's better/safer and more comfortable/fun.

Originally posted by SPEEDSTER

But that's all we can do, inform them to the best of our ability and hope they see the light. Some do, some don't.

Amen to that, brother. I'm happy to give the divers I know some of the info I've picked up from the DIR-F book, but so far the ones asking questions are still shaking their heads.

This book is a great read, by the way, I'm glad I bought a copy. The sections on the varying ability levels and how to classify yourself are a real eye-opener, especially for somebody like myself that is pretty deep into the PADI course structure. I feel like a capable diver, but there's still so many areas that I can improve. I can't wait to take the DIR-F class.

Originally posted by Tavi

I've got a DUI weight and trim system. Its a harness with quick release pockets. I like it a lot better than a belt, It's easily adjustable to help with trim.

I saw this system at my LDS last week, and it looks like a great way to deal with lead. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably go that route instead of the ACB. I like that the weight is still in separately ditchable pouches, and it's stable on your body.

Cheers,

Rick

P.S. UP, I've got a baby girl due any day now, but as soon as my wife let's me out of the house for an early morning dive (hopefully before August) :rolleyes:, I'll e-mail you.

my LDS owner said that the bp/wings are a pain because you have to adjust them TIGHT to deal with suit compression. I would dismiss this because he probably wants to sell me a ranger, but he does have thousands of dives and said when he started diving the bp was what they used, but he likes the ranger better.

Does he know what he's talking about? Or is this kinda like cars... some like chevy's... some like fords ????

Guess I have to find a shop that has a bp/wing I can rent .... probably best to make up my own mind.

sorry to rant in your thread
Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom