I Love my new BP/Wings setup!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

False alarm! :rolleyes:

The contractions were consistently 5 minutes apart for almost an hour then they were gone. I'll have to discipline the kid when she shows up. :wink:

Thanks for your curiosity Pug, I'll post the details in the non-diving-related-stuff forum when she hopefully shows up later today.

Originally posted by Uncle Pug

But be sure to post the pertinent details when you can.

Originally posted by GearHead
They warned us about perceptual narrowing in panicked divers in open water, but I didn't think I'd see it on dry land! Many divers just don't want to hear about another way to do things, even if it's better/safer and more comfortable/fun.

I found it interesting to read this quote after I'd just been just scanning several threads about the HUBs where several scubaboard elders seemed to diss it offhandedly (yet it appears they hadn't even tried it on, nor understood how it fitted together).

Rightly or wrongly, slowness to change usually means fear of the new.

You wear your wings with pride!

:thebat:

PS. Gearhead - You a father yet???

Hi All,
I am Newbie and I ahd soem growing pains getting my Halcyon BP and wings all adjusted and set up correctly - and received NO support from my LDS - (except the GUE/DIR LDS). Most of them don't have a clue HOW to setup a rig, let alone tried one.

It takes a little bit of initial adjustments in getting the harness all set up right, but once you do - diving is SO simple...I hardly know I have my rig even on when I hit the water, and I glide smoothly and effortlessly when IN the water. Its simple and functional. Uncle Pug can attest what I went thru initially - and most of it was because I didn't get a mentor or someone who HAD put together a DIR rig to help. But now that I am BOW certified, I'd not give up my long hose for ANY config. Its easy, and it WORKS! Its simple, and safe.

And I don't care WHAT the masses or recreational BC lovers say, for ME, a BP and wings works fine.

Mess around with it, get it setup correctly, and once done, your done 'fiddling' around with this strap or that strap or this 'dangly' or that gismo.

...just DIVE!

Pug,
I have 16# on my waist and a 6# SS BP..I'd love to get soem fo thsi weight OFF my waist, but don't want to make my harness end up looking like a BC with all the bulk and fixins'....

How can I get some weight OFF my waist and what pockets ARE DIR endorsed?

I thought about a weighted STA vs my current non-weighted Halcyon STA.

??

PS I dive a full 7mm wetsuit, hood, gloves, boots, etc. and found I needed that much weight to get (-)...

My buddy dives with a weighted STA and loves it...

Thanks for the words......Wetman..I know you have made the offer to try out yout gear (if our schedules ever work out), but I think I have decided to go the backplate wings etc. setup....Tavi BTW I am down to 24 # now....12 in the BC (WI) and 12 on the hips.......so now comes the question that should start the interesting comments.....civil I hope.....I have talked to 4 different LDS re the BP and wings, 1 absolutely hates the thought of them......the other three, 1 was indifferent...he can get whatever I want from DiveRite , OMS and Halciyon.......the other two were battling who was the best, Halciyon, OMS or Diverite.......what is the opinion of the rest of the users on board....I will also do a search to check out different thoughts.......

You'll find lots of posts about this. Some folks have differing opinions but I think most of us use and recommend the Halcyon gear.

Tom

Scuba446,

Try a LP steel tank for some of your weight requirements. I dive a Dolphin 95cf LP, which is about -10lb at the start of the dive, compared to a typical 77 or 80cf aluminum tank, which is less than -2lb at the start of a dive. That would immediately take your weight belt from 16 to 8lb. Halcyon ACB pockets cost up to $160 - if you've already got a weightbelt, keep it, ditch some weight from it, and put the money towards your own tank.

Here's a tank comparison chart. Note that tank bouyancies vary widely between manufacturers. Always check the quoted figures for accuracy - 80cf of air weighs about 6lb, so there should be a difference of around that amount. Some scuba tank charts are widely innaccurate. eg The PST 104's are shown as only having a 2.8lb swing between full and empty - this figure should be closer to 8lb (as always, someone will jump in with the correct figure).

http://www.sportdiverhq.com/tkcht.htm

And don't be too worried about buying non "DIR endorsed" gear - just make sure it fits within the philosophy of being safe and functional.

Thanks for the info..

Yes, I TRY and go the DIR route as much as I can, but I have a few prefs, for now, that they don't REALLY endorse - like a side mounted pony. Until I actaully dive with some DIR comitted or super safe divers who maintain eye contact on a regular basis, don't leave their buddy and get separated, then I don't feel all that great about being deep w/o covering my butt.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom