I thought I had seen it all...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a public forum and, as such, the members have a right to address any issues they perceive.

The operator about which this thread is written advertises his pricing and his suggestions in a public forum, also.

Let us also remember that a tip is VOLUNTARY compensation given to a server for, what the CUSTOMER DETERMINES to be, exemplary service.

Why should that which is advertised in public be discussed in private?

the K

You know,

the best part about ScubaBoard is the feedback you might not otherwise get from your clientele! If you are doing something wrong and pissing people off and NO ONE points it out, you keep losing potential customers without ever knowing why. Here, a problem is identified and an action has been taken to rectify it! In the end, we ALL win!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

At the request of Captain Dave (PelicanII), his post a few subsequent posts have been removed. I think he has something to say in all this.

Last edited:
I had a captain in Ilsamorada keep refurring to a tip jar while going 10 minutes to and from a dive site. He did this at least 8-10 times during the ride out and back. THAT was annoying as hell. We were already planning on tipping the DM and Capt but this outlandish display of greed kinda pissed me off.

As far as the OPs response to the internet link asking for tips. That imho is very unprofessional and uncalled for. A good operator is going to get better tips by ACTING professional and helpful than gripping about someone tipping or telling everyone that uses thier site what to tip them.

I have to say I think it's crap the way this thread has been "Edited". Really more like censored.

If Capt'n Dave regrets the tone of his post then he should man up and say so, not cry to a Mod who then hacks the heck out of the thread.

I think there were as many (if not more) good points as bad in the censored posts.

He pot his foot in his mouth in a public forum and so a Mod just erased it and any post that was slightly related (some were even responses to responses which didn't even quote the Capt'n).

I could respect a man if he came back into the thread and said something along the lines of "I was to defensive in my reply, have had time to think about it and reconsider the opinions expressed here... etc etc..." even if in the end he retained the original "PayPal Tip Jar" and his opinion that it was appropriate.

Now he just looks like a cry baby who ran to Mod-Mommie asking for the eraser of contradicting opinions.

Everyone has a right to their opinion. However, mean spirited posts are against the ToS and will be removed. While you might want to dog pile on Captain Dave, I prefer that we allow people to learn from their mistakes. Intolerance and impatience don't go well with Scuba Diving and they aren't good for meaningful communications.

Everyone has a right to their opinion. However, mean spirited posts are against the ToS and will be removed. While you might want to dog pile on Captain Dave, I prefer that we allow people to learn from their mistakes. Intolerance and impatience don't go well with Scuba Diving and they aren't good for meaningful communications.

I didn't dog pile him and I don't condone mob behaviour. You removed posts that didn't even quote or directly mention him.

Has Capt'n Dave "learned from a mistake"? I don't know, right now there is no response from him to this issue.

I've made mistakes, nobody is perfect. I understand he's starting a new business, part of the learning process is taking a few knocks & learning lessons from them.

Had I seen a post from the Capt'n responding to the concens of other posters (without insulting them for disagreeing) then I would have more respect for him even if our opinions still differed.

Internet "Communities" all seem to share many common flaws. I when I found ScubaBoard I was hoping that this place would be different because Divers are such a friendly & helpful group of people.

BTW, don't worry I'm not going to try to drag this out. I've said my piece and am done with this.

Divers are not necessarily friendly. It's why posts have to be edited and sometimes expunged. The internet often brings out the best in some and the worst in others. Let's give him a chance to respond.

Never mind. You answered my question while I was typing.

Drewski (Andy), All

Being retired Navy I feel it's time to perform some damage control. First let me start out by saying that my initial response to your thread concerning tipping was based primarily on a certain degree of anger and seeking an audience to vent. If I have offended anyone I offer my sincere apology.

I'm not out to defend what WAS on the website but to just explain how it got to be there. Over the past six months I've put out some feelers to the local dive community in regards to what they would like to see within a dive charter web site. Most divers agree that having some information on the boat is valuable, the trip schedule is essential and pricing is paramount. Other input was to have connections to Hotels and Restaurants for divers traveling from out of town. One of the most important links that every diver mentioned was the weather/sea conditions for the diving area. We all know that this is a GO/NOGO factor and will make or break the dive.

On several occasions during the booking process, prospective divers asked if they could pay via credit card. At first I was a cash only operation but felt that if there was a will there was a way for a newly established charter to provide this service. A good friend and mentor turned me on to PayPal. This has turned out to be a blessing. On several occasions divers weren't able to make it to the ATM prior to boarding the boat and this capability allowed them the piece of mind that it was all good as long as they had their plastic.

Now we get to the Divemaster/boat crew. After speaking with several Divemasters it was agreed upon that each Divemaster would have a connection to the web site that would allow divers the ability to TIP the divemasters via PayPal. We are currently setting up accounts for those divemasters as we speak.

In regards to the Tipping Etiquette for your Scuba Crew this information was taken from what I thought was a reliable source that spoke to the industry standard of DM/Crew tipping. I should have put this out to some of my personal advisors prior to releasing it over the web site. Andy, I want to thank you for going through all the trouble and doing the calculations. This was really an eye opening lesson. If I could have done it all over I would have taken the time to bounce the numbers around and realize that the final figures were ludicrous. I feel that tipping should be based on the degree of services rendered. Poor service calls for poor tipping, acceptable service allows for the industry standard 5-10% or 5 dollars per tank dive, and exceptional service allows for increased generosity by the customer. Please review the following links and see where my initial data was derived from.

http://www.articlesbase.com/travel-articles/tipping-etiquette-for-your-scuba-crew-20637.html

I've since taken a look at other sites and found them to be interesting in that they all basically agree that tipping is at the discretion of the diver based on the overall trip experience. http://www.scuba-diving-smiles.com/tipping-scuba-diving-tips.html

One article that I looked over several time was the one posted of Scuba Board back in 2002 by DocVikingo at http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-8410.html. He finishes by saying "Finally, if in doubt about tipping, ask around. Local divers can tell you about their customs, and the consensus of your fellow divers will give you a good idea of what is appropriate."

I'm asking, what is the acceptable tipping standard for the mid-Atlantic region? I would really like to get some feedback on this so I can offer future customers the right guidelines.

The gratuity web link on the www.pelicandivecharter.com page is not going away, the general consensus is that it adds value and provides the customer an additional payment option. As for the Captain gratuity, our geographic region doesn't recognize this as a sound practice as does other areas in the south and abroad. This will be removed. There are times on six-pack boats where the Captain does work as the Captain/Crew and Divemaster. Our job starts days before the dive; we perform safety checks/routine maintenance and perform boat setup based on the particular dive being conducted. This all insures your safety.

Sharing equipment among divers is a very risky business unless you are absolutely sure that it's coming from a reliable source. Your life can depends on it. I have a piece of equipment that most divers don't. The piece of equipment I'm talking about is my Dive Boat and I want to share it. Pelican Dive Charter is reliable, we are a newly established six-pack dive platform in a community with very few dive boat options. We want to put divers in the water, have fun and bring them home safely.

We look forward to a great dive season and hope you will consider utilizing Pelican Dive Charter as your Hampton Roads dive platform.

r/
Capt. Dave

Last edited:
Cap't Dave,

Thank you....

Even though I don't agree with the PayPal Tip thing I can now say I respect you for having come here with a calmer head and stating your position.

I also appreciate you willingness to look into why there was such a backlash.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom