I want to be fit & trim - but HATE exercising!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like to pair my workouts with something social. Currently, my husband and I go to a great gym after his work and then out to eat sushi.

Back in Merica, I had a GF in my neighborhood that would show up three times a week to work out in our gym and we watched a series on TV. How about a thriller audiobook? You can only listen while exercising, etc.

I am working on getting stronger now and doing a lot of weight. Try something new, I like jumping rope now.

I can always tell the days JB runs a few miles because he comes home all happy like a Labrador.

it's not that I feel soooo great the days I work out but if I miss a few days I feel like crap about myself. Go read what Huberman says about changing habits?
You KNOW you'll get my attention when you say Huberman! I have increased my cardio to walking 3 miles a day on the treadmill. I need to incorporate some good stretches a few times a week, and of course I need to add in weight bearing exercises. We have all the gym equipment in the basement and tons of windows down there so it doesn't feel like a dungeon. I guess I need to do the same thing I did with the walking. Do it even though I don't want to. Like you, it's not that I particularly enjoy the treadmill, but I feel bad about myself if I skip it - ok, there's a part of me that pats me on the back when I finish!

Find a show that is a dirty indulgence and only watch an episode while you are walking.:wink:

Find a show that is a dirty indulgence and only watch an episode while you are walking.:wink:
I've been reading these books that I refer to as so bad for me they make my teeth rot! They keep me entertained on the treadmill. On rare occasions Huberman will keep me engaged enough, but usually I have music going while also reading. Now to figure out how to get motivated for the stretches and weight bearing exercises ...

"So today I was on the treadmill"

The ONLY way of loosing weight long-term is to eat less... or you will spend a lifetime on treadmill.
You know how much time it takes to burn ONE candy bar?

Try swimming instead. As a diver you will like it more and also benefit from it.
Calories lost may not be many, but time spent at the fridge is greatly reduced - if you swim in the evenings!

Half and hour a day on an elliptical burns off about a pound a week :)
As long as I don't offset that with additional food ... :wink:

Can I get an amen or hell yeah!?

So I thought I'd start this thread to see how other women are working to improve fitness in this covid world. Some people find it easier to make time to work out or get outside for a hike while working from home, while others may feel so drained by the covid atmosphere that it doesn't matter HOW much time they have, their motivation is depleted and the only thing that feels satisfying is scrolling through social media. The average weight gain during covid is about 20 pounds (making it truly a near "covid-19" weight gain!). I know there are FB pages for women and diving, and women who dive and are trying to get into better shape. But why not use this space for some support, ideas, etc (fill in the blank there!).

So today I was on the treadmill, putting in my 2 miles that I really TRY to do 7 days a week (reality is usually 5), and listening to my workout playlist. The last song I listened to before finishing up was Britney Spears' "You Better Work Bitch" - and found myself substituting "you wanna hard body ..." with "you wanna climb that ladder? You better work bitch!". LOL!!! (video below)

So how can we help one another motivate to get in better shape? What are your stumbling blocks? Goals? Eat more healthy food? Have a healthier mind set? WhatEVER?

About me and my goals - I'm 60; 5' 1" and about 125-130 pounds. I'd like to be somewhere between 115 and 120. My antidepressant of choice is plain M&M's, followed closely by Whoppers - but I really try to stay away from them both because of the terrible side effects. I'm basically lazy and I have NEVER experienced that phenomenon people talk about when they 'exercise to the point of the happy hormones being released in their body'. Seriously? I'm not sure it actually happens - are they lying? Ok, I know they're not lying - but having never experienced it, and having no desire to ever work that hard, I never will. So I need to find a way to maintain what good health I have, maybe build some stronger muscles in my legs and upper body for diving, and generally maintain decent health. I'd love to be able to comfortably climb back on the boat in a 5mil, with 10 pounds of lead, with no assistance. Currently I hand up my weights and then take off my BC and hand that up too. I CAN go up the ladder - but my knees start to buckle and it scares me. I'll never wear a bikini again and look good in it - but that's not my goal. I just want to feel comfortable in my skin, not need to add more medications to keep me alive, and avoid more medical procedures ... and be able to go up the ladder in full gear without assistance.

How about you? And gentlemen, if you want to contribute please be super, super kind and encouraging. :)

I've lost 55 pounds in the past year just by eating less and doing activities that I enjoy. No "exercising" because that's tedious and not something I want to do long term.

Diving is the best exercise! Burns tons of calories and you're totally unaware of it!

I tried out a paddleboard this past weekend. Oh my gosh, it's a great core workout! Great for learning balance also.

What a great thread. Ten pages of sincere discourse with pleasant humor mixed in and not a single instance of bickering. We should seriously put more women in charge of ScubaBoard to foster collaborative conversations rather than competitive opinion wars.

Another fan of walking. At least according to Garmin, walking burns a ton more calories than an equivalent time spent on my Concept2 rower and SkiErg. Plus my wife and I get time to share our thoughts and resolve problems before they fester and turn into landmines.

I still love my Concept2 erg machines because they are so smooth and give the user a total body workout. The online community, virtual teams and periodic challenges are great and scalable to ability. The number of guys and gals in their 60s, 70 and 80s cranking out million meter years is something that attracted me to the two ergs. A user-friendly “fitness for life” piece of home gym equipment that doesn’t require loud noises or unleashing some internal prison voice. Anyways, the leg, lower and upper back strength lends itself to diving. Of course, the scalable cardio benefit also helps. Since I moved to Florida, I’ve rather given up on running. I hate to admit that but it’s true. The Concept2 ergs make that easy since developing cardiopulmonary health is so much easier (IMO) on the ergs.

Also a fan of swimming, another activity that is sustainable well into geriatric years and naturally contributes to diving fitness.

Keep up the great discussion. Thanks for letting me chime in the Women’s Perspectives sub-forum.

I finally have access to a pool again (still working on dusting off the dive gear), but it's also now getting cold in the Northeast. I'm not keen on dragging a hair dryer around and gym dryers are usually terrible, which means wet hair, and probably wet hair in the middle of my workday sometimes. Do any of you happen to have non-towel suggestions for how to cover semi-dry hair so it doesn't give me a cold, while still looking decently presentable?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom