I want to butt out!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A friend of my wife's recommended a book called The Easy Way to Stop Smoking by Allen Carr. My wife read the book and stopped smoking cold turkey after smoking for 18 years. I read the book and stopped cold turkey after smoking for 33 years and 3-4 previous failed attempts. My wife quit on 11-30-05 and I quit on 12-4-05. We're now both over 1 1/2 years non-smokers. We know of at least 8 other people who have read this book and stopped smoking for over a year.

This book does nothing for the physical side. The first 2-3 days are a little tough from that standpoint but then it's over and done with.

The book does address the mental side. If you want to quit then this book can help push you over the edge so that you get it done. Most people who say they want to quit really don't because they like smoking and they don't want to give up all the benefits of smoking: The great smoke after dinner, the one in the car, the one after sex, the one with your morning coffee, the stress relief, etc. This book helps you to realize that none of that is true. It's all a lie. The only thing you will be giving up is a dirty, nasty, unhealthy, expensive drug addiction that rules your life and makes you a smelly, pitiful drug addict in the eyes of all those non-smokers around you.

However you do it, I hope you can stop. I feel a lot better and the money I save pays for a hell of a nice dive trip! My air consumption is down too!

Good luck!

Thanks for all suggestions guys! I'll be sure and let you know how I make out.
If you have anymore, please post them here; I'll keep checking back for more!

The mental part was easy for me. I knew smoking killed my Mom. I knew I had to quit for my kids. It took 5 years of knowing this that I had to quit. So once I decided it was time to quit it was easy. I smoked for a long time and it wasn't as easy as I make it sound but I managed. You will too, once you convince yourself it is time.

Rant on we are here to help...

I used sugarless mints to deal with the physical side. Gave me something to do with both my hands and mouth if a craving hit.

The patches seemed to keep the cravings from being to strong. I used them for th e12 or 14 weeks that they recommended. No weight gain till after I stopped the patch and then I put on 20 pounds quickly and seem to have leveled off there.

Been a little over a year now and the cravings only pop up once in a great while now.

Good luck!

tc246:
I used sugarless mints to deal with the physical side. Gave me something to do with both my hands and mouth if a craving hit.

The patches seemed to keep the cravings from being to strong. I used them for th e12 or 14 weeks that they recommended. No weight gain till after I stopped the patch and then I put on 20 pounds quickly and seem to have leveled off there.

Been a little over a year now and the cravings only pop up once in a great while now.

Good luck!
I used the patch to give my body the nicotine it required while I changed the mental aspects of smoking. (Smoke after eating, smoke when you first wake up, smoke while having a drink...etc etc)

I doubled the amount of time on the patch vs what they recommend.

Worked for me. Its been ~5 yrs since I had a smoke. but BUT...a person still needs a reason to quit...and ambiguous "I need to quit" reason never worked for me. It had to be a specific reason. I used "I want to be a better diver" as my reason.

Just about the hardest thing I've ever done (with the possible exception of landing on the ship at night :D ). Last cigarette was 31 October 1987. My little pea brain still occasionally tries to convince me I ought to have one... maybe this fall, on the 20th anniversary, it'll finally, completely stop :)
Bottom line - it may not be easy; you may not stop having cravings after XX months/years, but quitting is worthwhile, and it can be done. (I used the "cold turkey" method myself, but that ain't for everyone).
Just do it!
Rick

My husband smoked since he was 15 which was many years ago he was smoking 2 packs sometimes 3 a day, one night he said that's it he put them down and never picked them up again. He did however go to the store the next morning and got some cinnamon sticks and started putting them in his mouth everytime he wanted a smoke.
It's been 4 years now and he has not smoked.

I've been using sugarless mints for the past few months to fight the urge and give me something to do when I would normally have reached for a cigarette.

If you need something to motivate you, just remember that your bottom times will increase and you'll stop having to huff and puff anytime you exert yourself.

The first few days are awful, but after a week, it becomes a normal behavior to not be smoking. If you're gonna quit you just need to quit. I know that patches help you to wean off of the nicotine, but it seemed to me that you're just replacing the nicotine with some other chemical. The support here on SB was great and some information from a website that helped convince me is at http://whyquit.com .

Hope this helps and good luck.

You need to remember it takes 30 days to start a "habit" it is going to take at least 30 to break it. I did the Zyban route a few years ago and quit taking it after 30 days due to the restless sleep and bizarre dreams. I was good for 90 days then the ex took me to court to review child support. That was all I needed to start up again. Fast forward 6 years. Today is day 7 that I have been smoke free. I am using the Chantix and it is much nicer than Zyban. I sleep soundly, have very vivid but not bizarre dreams, and while it doesn't stop the mental cravings it keeps away the "jones". The mental part is up to you. Just like being an alcoholic you have to want to.

My inspiration is my 9 year old daughter and Scuba. Find yours - make up your mind you want to stop - visit the doctor and get the Chantix- and join me.

BTW I refuse to ever become one of those "Born AgainSmokers" and condemn those who choose to smoke. The choice is theirs!

GOOD LUCK!!!
tounge.gif

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom