I want to plan a trip to Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

creamofwheat

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been rolling the idea around in my head to plan a trip to Thailand for a couple weeks in 2007. I have a few questions.

What are good places to stay? At this point, it doesn't matter where in Thailand, I am just looking for nice places to stay that aren't ridiculously expensive. I am not opposed to anything (little bungalows or anything :D) on beaches, because beaches are the best.

Any dive op recommendations?

What kind of diving is there? What kind of exposure protection do you recommend?

Any fun non-diving activities, and must see places?

What is the best time of year to go?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

That's a lot of questions!

As you probably know, the premier dive destination in Thailand is the Similan islands marine park, together with Surin marine park and Richelieu Rock. There are other places to dive, and many of them are very good, but this is what Thailand is most famous for, so let's assume this is what you want.

First of all, you need to determine when in 2007 you want to come this way. To dive the Similans, you should come sometime during the first several months (or the last couple of months) of the year--in other words, during your winter. That is when the weather is most cooperative.

Diving the Similans generally entails a liveaboard trip, so part of the time you will be on board a boat and won't need accommodation on land. The liveaboard trips just to the Similans take about 4 to 5 days. If you add a liveaboard trip to Burma (a few boats offer trips up that way), you could burn up most of your two weeks.

The water is warm year round (30°C/85°F surface temps are normal), so you need very little exposure protection, especially if you're used to cold water. The diving is generally very pleasant with minimal currents, great visibility, lots of marine life, pretty underwater scenery--in other words, nice relaxing dives in a beautiful environment.

There are tons of dive ops here. Most of us use a variety of boats for customers/students. Most important is working with somebody who will help you find the right fit for your budget, dates, and diving preferences.

When you're done diving the Similans, you can come stay on Phuket Island for beachtime, partytime, day-trip diving, or whatever. Recommending a place to stay depends a lot on the kind of experience you want--tourist center with lots of action? quiet beach? something in-between? Most areas of Phuket have a wide variety of accommodation choices ranging from simple no-elevator guesthouses to 5-star resorts with spas.

If the 5-day liveaboard is enough diving for you, you might want to spend a week in other parts of Thailand. Both Bangkok and Chiang Mai are popular with visitors.

Hope this helps!

Your best bet is to get a travel guide and do some reading first. Get a feel for what's out there. Decide on how much time you want to commit to diving. If you're looking at 2 weeks total, you might want to concentrate on one area. Perhaps Bangkok and an island or 2. I agree with Quero. As far as diving, the west coast is where it's at. Similans are tops but Phuket/PP offer excellent diving as well. 3mm is good for Thai waters.

Thanks for the information. :)

Are there any particular company recommendations for a liveaboard to the Similans?

I was definitely hoping to spend some time in Bangkok and do some touristy stuff on land as well. It's probably the only time in my life where I will get a chance to go to Thailand, so may as well throw some land stuff in as well as diving. :D

creamofwheat:
Thanks for the information. :)

Are there any particular company recommendations for a liveaboard to the Similans?

I was definitely hoping to spend some time in Bangkok and do some touristy stuff on land as well. It's probably the only time in my life where I will get a chance to go to Thailand, so may as well throw some land stuff in as well as diving. :D
I had a great time with Sea Dragon livaboard out of Khao Lak. After diving Similans and then Koh Tao last year I am planning on going back next year but will probably stay on the west side. Diving is way better there.

There are so many Liveaboard options ranging from backpack style to medium priced and more luxurious style. One of the good value for money options is MV Le Mahe. For authenticity and romantic atmosphere I highly recommend The Junk aka June Hong Chian Lee. Just returned from a cruise on this boat yesterday and everybody on the boat agreed that they would definitely return to do another cruise on The Junk.
For sheer luxury MV Ocean Rover is definitely the best on offer. So a lot would depend on your budget.

The Similans, Surins and Richilieu rock are by far the best diving in Thailand, however Koh Tao has decent divng and is a cheap laid back island where you can get a bungalow right on the Beach. Further, from Koh Tao you can get the ferry to Chipon then travel overland to Ranong where you can pick up a live-aboard for several hundred dollars cheaper than Phuket. Alladin dive is located in Ranong and Koh Chaing and A-1 is in Ranong and Koh Payam. Both of these Islands are inexpensive, laid back and not discovered by the tourist crowd. The dive operations are not very fancy by any stretch of the imagination but their fun, safe and the diving is great.
Thailand is a fantastic country. The food is great, the people are wonderful and the culture is unbeatable. You can choose from hot night life to slow paced sun drenched islands. The architecture of the Wats, the shopping in Bangkok and Chaing Mai and the indiginous people of the North suits every palate. If everyone had a Thai massage every day, we would have world peace.

The Similans, Surins and Richilieu rock are by far the best diving in Thailand
Agree the diving is very good there, but also don't forget Hin Daeng and Hin Muang, excellent diving, lots of critters, sharks, lovely soft and hard corals, and the last few years a better chance of manta rays and whale sharks than the Similans or Richelieu Rock.

A good overview of liveaboard boats to the Similans you will find here.

Agree the diving is very good there, but also don't forget Hin Daeng and Hin Muang, excellent diving, lots of critters, sharks, lovely soft and hard corals, and the last few years a better chance of manta rays and whale sharks than the Similans or Richelieu Rock.

I haven't dived Hin Daeng and Hin Muang but I understand the diving is fabulous.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom