I would like to hear from overweight female divers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My last post was about 3 years ago and I FINALLY FINISHED MY CLASS!!!!!!!!!WOOOOHOOOOO! As a fashion designer for full-figured women of course I was concerned about looking FAB when it came to SCUBA. That is why it took flipping 25 years for me to get around to doing it, I wanted to look good in a wetsuit (SAD), I was going to lose weight. Well what happened is I turned 40! I started my class but dropped out in the second intensive day. As it turned out I was overheated by my new pink and black wetsuit in a heated pool and got light-headed(can you say JACKASS). When I started the class all over again, the instructor (she has been diving for 40 years) pulled me aside in the second class and asked WHAT HAPPENED THE FIRST TIME! You are incredible! everyone back at the dive shop thought I dropped out because I couldn't hang and thought teaching me would be disastrous. HA!

Well I feel still feel self conscious alot especially because I am new and now need to do my qualifying dives. I plan to take along friends, divers and non-divers to support me on the boat and shut-up naysayers. I found some great pink accessories to go with my custom-made pink and black wetsuit. It was made by a guy down in Florida and the cost was no more than a regular wetsuit. I have always hated wearing a bathing suit so I now wear a one piece with a zipper down the front (to accentuate the boobage) with a pair of board shorts over it. Both pieces from Junionia (they make active wear for full-figured women). I have pink fins which I bought years ago and I plan to get pink webbing for my weight belt. My friends call me BBBW Barbie (Big Black Beautiful Woman).

I am a believer in carrying your own weight. I live in NYC and walk daily and go to the gym. I am 5'10" and weigh a bit over 300lbs. I don't know how much weight I will dive with but I only needed 8 pounds in the pool. I am physically very strong and in pretty good shape, but that does not matter, people go by what they see. Even if I lost all of the weight I would like to lose, I am still a big woman. People don't see degrees of bigness only big. Also I probably won't see alot of Black women which will catch me some stares. But SO WHAT! Well I have not logged dive one, but I have decided I want to become an instructor and bring the sport to underpriviledged kids. Focus on healthy not a certain size and don't let ANYONE but YOU tell you what you should look like and what you should do. What convinced me I could do it was I met a friends dive buddy who was 4'11" and weighed 95 pounds soaking wet. Who would you rather have as a dive buddy?

If you want to chat more or email me I am QLittlestar@aol.com.

I am looking for a BC that is good for busty women. I am a G.

Q

You only live once, and if you live right, once is enough!

Congrats QLittlestar from a fellow BBD (Big Beautiful Diver). I use the Diva BC and love it!!!! If that doesn't work out for you, look into a Zeagle that can be custom fit.

If you are ever in the midwest or in the Keys--and looking for a dive buddy, let me know!

Yes, congrats QLittlestar from another fellow BBD. :) Search the board in the equipment forum for a thread on Backpacks and Wings. I use the Transpac II and the fit couldn't be any better. It's the most size friendly / versatile bouancy compensator around.

Good luck on your checkout dives.
Paula

luvspoodles:
Hi,
I hope that I do not regret posting this. I just recently posted something that I wish I could pull, so please do not comment if you have nothing nice to say. I am 5'2" and I am overweight. I am a size 16 to be exact.I am not in good shape. However, I loooove diving. It is the only sport I have ever done, and it has boosted my self confidence so much. I know that being overweight raises my risk of DCS...but I already know that and don't need comments on it. I am working on getting myself into shape. I really would like to hear from the overweight females on this board about how they deal with their self image while diving. I am going to Cozumel in 3 weeks, and the thought of me in my wetsuit on a diveboat makes me nervous. I am mostly nervous about the fact that someone will be rude and tell me that I have no place diving, in my shape. I worry about this especially from the male hard core divers that I have encountered on this board. Once, when I mentioned how much lead I had to carry someone told me that I needed to lose weight and that I shouldn't be diving in my condition. So how do you handle it? Do you feel proud of yourself and who cares about what others think? Gosh, I wish I could be like that. Any pointers would be great! Both my husband and myself are overweight, and while he is a little self conscious about his tummy, he doesn't worry about it. Thank you for your time. Again, I would prefer that the comments are kept nice, as I know that I need to lose this weight in order to be a safer diver.
hi there
like other have said before, don't listen or worry about what other diver's say/ think, if everyone did that, no one would go outside, sorry i'm not femail, but i am or at least was overweight, also abit nervous about going diving thinking about me looking a little odd wearing a wetsuit, if someone says something you don't like hearing confront them make them feel small/ or stupid in front of the others, you will gain self respect, an respect from the others, an perhaps those with silly thought's will change their minds about how they see others
good on you, keep diving, smile at the fish an remember the fish don't care what you look like unless you happen to look like a shark, then they might get a bit worried
:wink:
above all, don't 'not do something' because of what other people might say or think,
they win, an that's not the way it should be
i used to be that way, and life was very dull
mark

Being a male myself I think that it is great that because of your diving that you are trying to get into better shape. If people are rude to you, why would you even give them the time of the day anways. Besides I know many peole who are not over weight, that are not in any better shape then people who are over weight.

Keep up the good work and stay diving.

My girlfriend has gotten fed up with hearing me constantly talk about my diving obsession and she is going to start OW classes soon. She is a larger girl and has had some apprehension due to the wetsuit issue. I loved the testomonials in this forum so here is my question. What brand of wetsuits have you found to be the most comfortable, size charts can be misleading. We have both been on diets since the end of Nov and are losing weight, despite the weight loss she has been graced with full hips and a large chest. Have you found custom to be the only way to go and if so at what cost? Thanks for your input!! Happy diving to all.

Jay_SMART_Diver:
My girlfriend has gotten fed up with hearing me constantly talk about my diving obsession and she is going to start OW classes soon. She is a larger girl and has had some apprehension due to the wetsuit issue. I loved the testomonials in this forum so here is my question. What brand of wetsuits have you found to be the most comfortable, size charts can be misleading. We have both been on diets since the end of Nov and are losing weight, despite the weight loss she has been graced with full hips and a large chest. Have you found custom to be the only way to go and if so at what cost? Thanks for your input!! Happy diving to all.

My answer was the Henderson Hyperstretch. I just love it. It is as easy as putting on my pajamas... I'm even quicker than my husband who is nothing but Muscle and bone.... I love it... the stretch allows it to stretch in all the places I need it (hips and bust) and still fit other places... if you have specific questions about the size, pm and I can give my info... :) (Can't go public with that, you know) :)

Jay_SMART_Diver:

My wife isn't an "off the rack gal" and we went the custom route with Liquid Fit. Cost was on par with a good suit and it fit. After a big summer of skin diving she was getting a bit small for the suit so it's back being taken in. A big bonus is that the first alteration is free and long term you have a source for continued adjustments or repair. In some areas (like Maine) you don't find wetsuit tailors on every street corner.

In 2 weeks we start OW class together and while they tweak her 5mm suit they're taking the patern for her new 7mm set.

Also being custom she got more control over the colors and I think we've worked up a flattering color patern.

Pete

hey Jay

i bought a wetsuit from oceanray. I think they are oceanray.com. I got the last pink and black because they had no demand. They have a chart to write in your measurement and will take it in as you lose weight. You have options to have ankle and wrist zippers and things like that. The whole thing if I remember correctly was arount $300 for a 3mm and it fits like a glove. The guy could not be nicer and so helpful. Take care.

Q :dazzler1:

howdy luvspoodles,

Well as I am new to this board, I am just seeing your note posted in Oct. You had a bunch of great advise! Dont'sweat the small stuff, I too have the same problem with my weight. Who cares, dive your best and just enjoy it. So I am curious to know, how was your trip to cozumel?? I hope that you and your husband had the time of your life. I have gone to Akumal diving a few times. How fantastic this was!!! It is just a few hours South of Cancun. Out of the hustle and bustle.
Again, hope your diving adventure was super.
Sincerely, Lisa

Back
Top Bottom